FindAndRunRobot

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ehtyar

FindAndRunRobot

#1 Post by Ehtyar »

FindAndRunRobot
Link: http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/M ... index.html
Summary: Find and Run Robot is a program for keyboard maniacs - it helps you rapidly find programs or documents from within the depths of the start menu (or other directories). One keypress launches the utility - then just start typing the first letters of the application you want to launch. As you type the best matches are shown - just hit the number to launch the associated program.
Screenshot:

Ennovy

#2 Post by Ennovy »

I think it's a good idea to read this quote from the site DonationCoder.com:
Greetings , and welcome to the DonationCoder.com License Key page.

All of the software from DonationCoder.com is free. You can use the full versions without any limitation, and no payment is necessary. The reason we require people to download a license key from us is to get them to take a look at our website and think about whether they might be willing to make a donation to this site.

In order to encourage people to really consider making a donation, we have adopted a somewhat unusual policy for people who do not donate:

The free license key generated here will remove the reminder nag from the program for 6 months.
After 6 months the reminder will come back and you must return to this page to generate a new license key which will last for another 6 months.
After 1 year from your initial signup you can return to this page for a permanent non-expiring license key.
If you're not ready to make a donation at this time, but want to download a free key for one of the programs on this site, you'll first need to sign up at our forum, or log in if you already have an account.
And if you don't get this key you see the reminder nag constantly.
Not for me, but thanks anyway.

Ehtyar

#3 Post by Ehtyar »

The free license key generated here will remove the reminder nag from the program for 6 months.
After 6 months the reminder will come back and you must return to this page to generate a new license key which will last for another 6 months.
After 1 year from your initial signup you can return to this page for a permanent non-expiring license key.

Local

#4 Post by Local »

If you're not ready to make a donation at this time, but want to download a free key for one of the programs on this site, you'll first need to sign up at our forum, or log in if you already have an account.

Blackmailed into creating an account just to try software?

I love the phrase "Somewhat unusual policy "though.

The idea of nagging again every few months until a year has past sound too much like being married again for my liking.

Arithmomaniac

Find and Run Robot (FARR)

#5 Post by Arithmomaniac »

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/
Find and Run Robot (FARR) is a program for keyboard maniacs -- it uses an adaptive "live search" function to rapidly find programs and documents on your computer as you type.

Press your chosen hotkey to display the FARR window, then just start typing the first letters of the application you want to launch and the results appear instantly. Hit enter to launch the top result, or refine your search with special modifiers and commands.

FARR also lets you quickly run web searches, send email, manipulate files, control on-screen windows, and much more. Build and share custom commands or install plugins to add tons of new features, like live search features for your clipboard history and your internet bookmarks; a popup a calculator with history tape and persistant variables; and many more..
Just download and use UniExtract. Writes to INI file.

ashghost

#6 Post by ashghost »

See this previous submission of Find And Run Robot:

Code: Select all

http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2010
I don't mind the nag-infrequently-ware, but it appears that many do.

Cornflower

#7 Post by Cornflower »

It is certainly powerful enough, and has a well-developed set of options and configurations. DonationCoder is established enough that for another utility I did not mind registering with the site, s there are a few gems there.

My chief difficulty is with a 10 meg install (2 megs of skins, which I can probably delete) and a 4 meg executable. Contrast Everything (viewtopic.php?t=3901) which is under 500k, and is a single file with another 30k for .ini and help file. Unless I need the bells and whistles, I am perfectly happy with Everything for NTFS.

blindbaby

Re: FindAndRunRobot

#8 Post by blindbaby »

I find this little tool really handy because you don't need to waste time looking for a file or program in the midst of all your stuff that's stashed in your PC. It seems to be like the Spotlight tool that Mac users have, in that when you begin typing a word, all possible results appear beneath it. Now that I've installed it, I can't live without it!

lautrepay

#9 Post by lautrepay »

blindbaby wrote:I find this little tool really handy because you don't need to waste time looking for a file or program in the midst of all your stuff that's stashed in your PC. It seems to be like the Spotlight tool that Mac users have, in that when you begin typing a word, all possible results appear beneath it. Now that I've installed it, I can't live without it!
How does it compare to Launchy?

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

I like it better! No contest here for me.
Why? I can't pin-point what exactly was the problem, but I could never get along with Launchy.

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

but I could never get along with Launchy.
The instructions of making it Portable broke functionality for me, I could never get to grips with it either. Also I thought FindAndRunRobot wasn't Portable?

joby_toss

#12 Post by joby_toss »

FARR is portable. Fast and efficient.
It stores its settings in its own folder and it accepts environment variables in settings:

ConfigDir.ini should have the following contents:

Code: Select all

CONFIGDIR=.
PORTABLE=TRUE
The only problem I have is with its fscript plugins. But they are few and I try to avoid them.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:FARR is portable. Fast and efficient.
It stores its settings in its own folder and it accepts environment variables in settings:
That's true but FARR is not stealth. Creates a few dcupdate files in AppData (even if you don't use / remove the update feature). Also, quite a few of the plugins don't work.

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

I am Baas wrote:Creates a few dcupdate files in AppData (even if you don't use / remove the update feature).
I can't replicate this on my win7x64 (try moving those files in FARR's directory).
I am Baas wrote:Also, quite a few of the plugins don't work.
I'm having troubles only with fscript dependent plugins.

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Creates a few dcupdate files in AppData (even if you don't use / remove the update feature).
I can't replicate this on my win7x64 (try moving those files in FARR's directory).
Thanks, but it still creates FindAndRunRobot.dcupdateredirect in ProgramData\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles (Win7x64).