XMPlay - audio player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Suggestion: Switch XMPlay listing to XMPlay Portable

#31 Post by webfork »

Craunch wrote:This suggests that it would not take much to render XMPlay portable; much less effort than using Universal Extractor as other programs listed here need at any rate. I can see that further investigation into this would be needed, but XMPlay looks to be portable enough to remain listed in its own right. I am not going to investigate this further myself as I dislike XMPlayer and will be deleting it in a few minutes.
Yeah I don't use this program either, which is why I asked if anyone cared about this topic in my previous post. I'd rather spend my limited time on stuff people actually use. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Checker

#32 Post by Checker »

webfork wrote:... stuff people actually use. ...
XMPlay Popularity-score: 87,2 % and 43 voting-points :wink:

freakazoid

#33 Post by freakazoid »

Checker wrote:
If there was a like feature on these forums, I would have clicked on it! :)
is it stealth? ;)

Checker

#34 Post by Checker »

freakazoid wrote:If there was a like feature on these forums, I would have clicked on it! :)
I know :wink:

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:
Checker wrote:
If there was a like feature on these forums, I would have clicked on it! :)
Okay then -- it's important.

We're still pointing people to a broken program, so -- barring any objections -- I'd like to switch the entry over to the PortableApps version. As is the policy here, I will switch it back to the natively portable version if the issue gets resolved or someone can get Crounch's trick working.

Sound good?

Craunch

#36 Post by Craunch »

So far as I am concerned you might as well go ahead and switch it.

Despite what I said earlier I have done a bit more investigating and discovered that it stores absolute paths to tracks in its library. Naively using Notepad++ to replace the absolute paths in the library with relative ones results in it not being able to find the tracks, but the library display is still able to list their details. I assume from this that a code change will be needed to make this portable without using a launcher/wrapper so it is probably better to list the Portable Apps version rather than the original.

And now I really am going to delete it and go back to Foobar2000.

webfork

#37 Post by webfork »

As discussed, program has been moved over to the PA version.

Old instructions: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch xmplay.exe.

Checker

#38 Post by Checker »

webfork wrote:Yeah I don't use this program either, ...
Look what I found within the comments ... what changed your mind :?:
Attachments
XMPlay comment.gif

webfork

#39 Post by webfork »

Checker wrote:
webfork wrote:Yeah I don't use this program either, ...
Look what I found within the comments ... what changed your mind :?:
Heh, that was written almost 5 years ago. I think what pulled me away it was either memory footprint (which was very important at the time) or interface annoyances (didn't work the way I thought it should). I now vacillate between Foobar2000 and VLC, although I probably run streamWriter more than any other music program.

freakazoid

#40 Post by freakazoid »

webfork wrote:I think what pulled me away it was either memory footprint (which was very important at the time) or interface annoyances (didn't work the way I thought it should)
Let me just debate your points! :)

Memory footprint can't be correct because XMPlay is one of (if not) the most efficient audio players when it comes to memory usage. It always has been.

Interface annoyances, I'll give you this one, but if you find a decent skin, those annoyances go away. Something like:
http://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=589
webfork wrote:I now vacillate between Foobar2000 and VLC
I use foobar2000 only as a conversion and tagging tool. VLC is heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for an audio player. It's not even my first choice as a video player!
webfork wrote:I probably run streamWriter more than any other music program
XMPlay can be used as a rudimentary stream saver. I don't really use this feature myself.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

Re: XMPlay v3.8

#41 Post by joby_toss »

3.8 - 23/12/2013
----------------
* Separation of tracks into individual subsongs/cues, and unseparation back the other way
* Subsong info added to library ("subsongs" column) and track info window
* Random playback mode can be applied to subsongs too
* "%subsong" and "%subsongs" search term options added
* Support for tag names in search terms
* Playlist processing of CUE files
* Support for remarks in CUE files
* Soundtracker MOD support
* Looped OGG support
* Loop limiting by playback time
* "Go to time" shortcut to jump to a time position (aka "jump to time")
* Selection extension page up/down shortcuts
* Quicker access to file writing options via track right-click menu
* Support for "Content-Disposition" header filename when saving a streamed file
* "Year" track info replaced/expanded to "Date"
* Option to have XMPlay in both the taskbar and tray
* Taskbar title scrolling
* Option to replace the playlist when playing tracks from the library
* Track info option added to info window right-click menu
* Info window height limit for auto-resizing
* Archive file URLs will have all of their contents added to the playlist when opened
* Improved support for drag'n'dropping between the playlist and library and other XMPlay instances
* Extended playlist filename display mode can optionally include the full paths
* "closetrack" and "closelist" command-line options to close at the end of the track or playlist
* Automatic use of the backup if the library file gets corrupted
* Option to apply title formatting to Winamp plugins removed (now always on)
* ZIP plugin added to the XMPlay package
* Skinning enhancements including alpha channel support (see skinning kit)

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Memory footprint can't be correct because XMPlay is one of (if not) the most efficient audio players when it comes to memory usage. It always has been.
Yeah there was kind of a historical thing as memory usage isn't really an issue anymore, but license and a specific interface piece are:
  • License: Open licenses over time get more and more important, partly from watching so many great programs come and go here on the site. It's not that open owners don't drop the program, but at least the really critical ones can get taken over by another maintainer. Also, open programs for some reason seem to stick around longer.
  • Interface bit: Since I frequently listen to tracks that are over an hour long, I any adjustments on a smaller bar end up jumping back a minimum of two minutes, which is annoying. Foobar of course isn't open, but I made an exception because I was able to configure that see this screencap with my config, the track bit highlighted.
freakazoid wrote:VLC is heavy. I wouldn't recommend it for an audio player. It's not even my first choice as a video player!
Definitely heavy and sometimes slow, but it's also cross-platform, open, and I've had good luck with it's hardware acceleration. I also liked how they stuck up for their share-and-share alike license (GPL) when Apple blocked them from their app store.

Edit: oh yeah -- they quit doing that. Bummer. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2010/11/th ... o-android/

Checker

Re: XMPlay v3.8.0.1

#43 Post by Checker »

XMPlay is v3.8.0.1 :!:

- Fix: Didn't play OGG streams.

Checker

XMPlay v3.8.0.5

#44 Post by Checker »

XMPlay is v3.8.0.5 :!:

webfork

Re: XMPlay v3.5

#45 Post by webfork »

This post is replying to comments in the entry...
lautrepay wrote:There's no mention that XMPlay is natively portable (with the flaws mentioned in the thread), there's a note alerting for problems that the PortableApps version is supposed to solve
I don't know if you or the other the recent comment posters read the whole thread or not, but I spent a bunch of time on an entry that nobody cared about. If you go back and look, you can witness first hand the complete lack of response for a month between June and July. Now 6 months later, it's suddenly a big indignity that this entry doesn't list the native version?
lautrepay wrote:A problem that doesn't affect me because I don't use XMPlay's library nor I use it from external devices. So it's 100% functional for me.
I'm fine with listing the native version as an alternative, but I strongly advise against switching back to a version that's going to be broken for any users who were expecting portable to extend to the program itself and not just the settings. If it were me, the first time I had to re-add my entire music library, I'd immediately dump the program for something else.

Before you ask: yes, at least one user here has a player on the same drive as their music collection. I have one setup on a drive where I store all my music. I'm not saying I'm representative of all our visitors, but I think I can safely say it's more than one.
lautrepay wrote:the instructions do not correspond with the PAF package.
Yep, that one is on me. Fixed.