XOR+ text cipher (toy)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dmg

XOR+ text cipher (toy)

#1 Post by dmg »

XOR+ is a text cipher application meant for entertainment and educational purposes. It enciphers and deciphers text using a simple XOR cipher, followed by multiple transposition, homophonic substitution and obfuscation steps.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2561

Please have a look and vote! :)

SYSTEM

Re: XOR+ text cipher (toy)

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

I removed XOR+ from the "Security - Privacy Tools" category. IMHO, "toy encryption" applications don't belong there.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

dmg

#3 Post by dmg »

I agree, in principal, which is why I did not add it to Security - Encryption/Decryption. However, I consider there to be a significant difference between security and privacy. The XOR+ cipher is NOT a secure encryption but it is perfectly suitable as a privacy tool, as long as the user is warned about its shortcomings. Privacy only requires significant obfuscation, not necessarily encryption.

However, I defer to your judgment...

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

dmg wrote:I removed XOR+ from the "Security - Privacy Tools" category.
With a disclaimer like this:
from the entry wrote:XOR+ is NOT intended to perform any security function
... that makes sense.
dmg wrote:Privacy only requires significant obfuscation, not necessarily encryption.
I think you can safely say that there are various different levels of both privacy and security, but I get your point.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:
dmg wrote:Privacy only requires significant obfuscation, not necessarily encryption.
I think you can safely say that there are various different levels of both privacy and security, but I get your point.
I spent some time editing the entry to hopefully reflect this. See what you think.

dmg

#6 Post by dmg »

Looks good, thanks. 8)

dmg

#7 Post by dmg »

I found and fixed a minor glitch in how XOR+ handled new line characters. I have updated the app entry.