Instagiffer

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tproli

Instagiffer

#1 Post by tproli »

Instagiffer portable
Instagiffer screenshot
Instagiffer screenshot
Instagiffer makes it easy to GIF directly from video files and online video sites like Youtube. It’s free, with no advertising or spyware! Make sure you watch the video tutorial and read the FAQ. Take a look at what people are saying, and check out some GIFs made with #instagiffer! Note to Mac users: A beta version is available (requires Lion or higher).

Features
- Create GIFs from anything on your screen…
- or open videos and Youtube URLs directly (comes with built-in Youtube downloader)
- Creates highly optimized but quality GIFs under 1MB in size. Perfect for Tumblr!
- Make cool 2x2 GIF sets (example #2)
- Growing list of effects including sepia tone, oil painting and grayscale
- Add multiple text captions with custom fonts, durations and colors
- Use frame importer to combine two or more videos together
- Create bouncing loops
- Open and edit existing GIF files (handy for captioning / resizing)
- Create GIFs from a collection of static images

For those of you interested in a portable version of Instagiffer that doesn’t require installation, you can obtain it here. Today I learned that there are rogue copies floating around on warez sites (why would someone pirate free software???) that have been created without my consent, so make sure you download it from me.
Unfortunately editing its configuration file (instagiffer.conf) doesn't allow using environment variables (like %TEMP%). I contacted the author if he plans to add this feature, awaiting for response. Specifing relative paths works (e.g. "workingDir=.\Workdir").

http://instagiffer.com/
http://instagiffer.com/post/55311052721 ... 2-portable

webfork

Re: Instagiffer

#2 Post by webfork »

Looks sharp, good suggestion. The limited work I've done on this has been with v2v, but this looks a lot more robust.

instagiffer

#3 Post by instagiffer »

Hey! I'm the creator of Instagiffer. I didn't receive your request to add support for environment variables. Did you email instagiffer@gmail.com? I'll add this in the next release. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see to improve portability and I will most certainly add it.

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

Welcome on board!

I posted a comment on your blog but apparently it didn't make through.

I can think of two other possible setting that could improve portability:
- option to delete temporary files (dir) on close (under main menu -> Settings)
- command line switch to start in portable mode (e.g. instagiffer.exe /portable, that would use "%TEMP%\instagiffer" dir as workdir and would delete it on close)

Thanks for the update in advance!

instagiffer

#5 Post by instagiffer »

Delete temporary files on shutdown, and environment variable support in the configuration file has been added to Instagiffer 1.33. The release should be available tomorrow evening.

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

Thanks, instagiffer. All seems working fine except deleting temp files on shutdown. Here is my config:

Code: Select all

[settings]

deleteTempFilesOnClose=True

[paths]

workingDir=%TEMP%\instaTemp  ; If Instagiffer complains about unicode, uncomment this line
gifOutputDir=Output      ; Choose a different output path for insta.gif (By default it goes to the desktop)
The applications leaves files in the workingDir even if "deleteTempFilesOnClose" is set to True (or to 1).
The result is the same when I don't specify a custom workingDir.

Am I doing something wrong? I'm using v1.33 portable downloaded from
http://justintodd.me/downloads/instagif ... rtable.zip

instagiffer

#7 Post by instagiffer »

Yes, this is annoying. If you use File -> Close, the files will be deleted; however, if you close with the 'X', they will not. I attached a custom shutdown handler at one point and had unexpected results. I'll try to re-introduce this functionality in the next version.

I've just released a new portable version which contains several new features and bug fixes:

link: http://justintodd.me/downloads/instagif ... rtable.zip
sha256: 71060c782e04d9f3878641c86726cec6c53b39c80d22019ada1d31c3359540ae

instagiffer

#8 Post by instagiffer »

I've added a submission here: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2632

Happy giffing everyone!

instagiffer

#9 Post by instagiffer »

FYI:

I've released a new portable version (v1.54) but I don't have enough ranking to edit the entry. It's mostly a bug fix release but does include a few handy new features :)

romulous

#10 Post by romulous »

The website link on the entry is faulty - it appends the portablefreeware.com domain before the Instagiffer domain.

romulous

Checker

#11 Post by Checker »

@ instagiffer: Thanks ... and updated :wink:
@ romulous: Links fixed :wink: