Sleipnir - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: Portable Sleipnir 2.30

#16 Post by joby_toss »

guinness wrote:Edit: Tried to test but the interface was Japanese. So I gave up.
Don't remember happening to me, but here is how you can change it:

img host

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

Thanks. Cool background.

Midas

Re: Portable Sleipnir

#18 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:Why "not stealth" on my system: [...]
  • From the portability point of view, the fluff left at %TEMP% and "...\Prefetch" are non-issues -- although their security implications shouldn't be overlooked; and those registry entries are more annoying than important, maybe yaP can help here... WiPo. :|

BTW, Sleipnir v4 FAQ is at http://public.fenrir.co.jp/en/community ... m.php?f=14.

joby_toss

#19 Post by joby_toss »

Yes, the leftovers seem to be unimportant. I should take a second look at the UserProfiles.ini file, though.

@guinness: I've tried to find an image that represents my country and my soul at the same time; this is the best one so far...

guinness

#20 Post by guinness »

Yeah, I will have a play around this weekend just because I like the idea of having Trident and WebKit as the rendering engines.

webfork

Re: Portable Sleipnir 4

#21 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:@Moderator: could you remove the version number from the topic title
All set

Midas

Re: Sleipnir

#22 Post by Midas »

Sleipnir v5 has been released: http://www.fenrir-inc.com/us/sleipnir/... :!:

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

A few testing notes:

* I've had real trouble getting the Sleipnir program to show things in IE. Even Customize - Render just showed Chrome options. It seems like it's a Chrome-only browser now.

* The new tab system that works by a shifting thumbnail system I could only describe as "floating cards" is innovative but cramped. I've seen so many incarnations of the tabs-as-thumbnails view, I just don't think this makes sense in terms of usability. Also I generally can't seem to deal with applications that use anything but very subtle animation in the interface.

* It also auto-adds itself to the desktop and pins itself to the task bar, which is annoying and quickly turned me off of additional testing.

joby_toss

#24 Post by joby_toss »

There is no English page anymore, but I remember reading, at the time of their release, that v4 supports Trident and WebKit engines while v6 is based on Blink exclusively. Anyway, the best Sleipnir version is v3 and that's not developed anymore, so I, for one, see no point in using any other version now.

webfork

#25 Post by webfork »

> v6 is based on Blink exclusively

Yeah I was clearly testing v.6, which according to the translation is Chrome-only.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... leipnir%2F

Either we should add something to the entry that we're pointing to an older version or we need to update the entry. Since I can't recommend v6 to anyone for the reasons stated (and v6 may not actually be portable), I'll add a note.

joby_toss

#26 Post by joby_toss »

We list v4 of Sleipnir and it is still actively developed.
When I tried v6 I think it was as portable as v4. It's a weird thing that we actually could treat v4 and v6 like 2 different apps that share the name and the author.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I think it was as portable as v4.
Does it auto-add itself to the desktop and pin itself to the taskbar?
joby_toss wrote:It's a weird thing that we actually could treat v4 and v6 like 2 different apps that share the name and the author.
Agreed. That is very peculiar. I don't think we have a policy for handling that.

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:Does it auto-add itself to the desktop and pin itself to the taskbar?
Not in my testing.

v6 saves its main settings in "users" subfolder, but there are so many little traces left all over the place...