Opera version naming

Any other tech-related topics
guinness

Opera version naming

#1 Post by guinness »

Moderator note: the following was split from the thread "Is Opera 15 standard portable or not?".

----

The new entry for Opera is ridiculous. I shall be changing it back and removing personal attacks about Opera. In future keep your emotions out of the database, the Forum is fine, but NOT the database. If you can't do that then please don't edit the database in the future. Thanks.

Checker

Re: Is Opera 15 standard portable or not ?

#2 Post by Checker »

guinness wrote:The new entry for Opera is ridiculous. I shall be changing it back and removing personal attacks about Opera. In future keep your emotions out of the database, the Forum is fine, but NOT the database. If you can't do that then please don't edit the database in the future. Thanks.
@ guinness: Fully agree ... and thank you :!:
@ Opera: Oh, what have you done to this browser.
@ Magibon: Oh, what had you done to the database entry. Heroes don't do that Image
Last edited by Checker on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

freakazoid

#3 Post by freakazoid »

Again, I'd like to propose adding a separate entry for new Opera vs. old Opera:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 593#p65593

Once a moderator gives the okay, I will gladly create the new entry.

This will give users a place to rant about either version instead of one getting cannibalized by the other in the comment sections.
is it stealth? ;)

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:The new entry for Opera is ridiculous. I shall be changing it back and removing personal attacks about Opera. In future keep your emotions out of the database, the Forum is fine, but NOT the database. If you can't do that then please don't edit the database in the future. Thanks.
^ That +1

Thanks for stepping in, guinness.

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

freakazoid wrote:Once a moderator gives the okay, I will gladly create the new entry.
If they do (which I don't think they should) then it still should remain as Opera and not Opera Classic, because it is after all Opera.

I am running v19 and v12.16 alongside one another. If people give v19 a try they will see Opera is staying true to their word by adding in old features. It's a new browser redesigned from the ground up, not a browser stripped back down to the bare bones. I think what people forget is Opera moved to Blink (fork of WebKit) because Presto was just far too bloated from the many years it had existed. I would rather a browser stays up to date with the web standards, than if I can add a pretty picture as a theme.

SYSTEM

#6 Post by SYSTEM »

guinness wrote: I am running v19 and v12.16 alongside one another. If people give v19 a try they will see Opera is staying true to their word by adding in old features. It's a new browser redesigned from the ground up, not a browser stripped back down to the bare bones.
I switched to SeaMonkey because it is much better than Opera 15. I'll switch back only if Opera will be significantly better than SeaMonkey in the future.
guinness wrote: I think what people forget is Opera moved to Blink (fork of WebKit) because Presto was just far too bloated from the many years it had existed.
Presto was not bloated at all. Opera 12.16 was 26 megabytes and Opera 15 was 97 megabytes in size, regardless of Opera 12 having much more features. Presto had originally been designed to work well on mobile phones (that had much less resources than phones have now) as well.

The reason Opera Software switched to Blink is that they realized they can't compete against Google and Mozilla in the layout engine market, and that they don't have to because most parts of WebKit and Blink are under the BSD license (i.e. they can use either and simultaneously keep Opera closed source).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Magibon

#7 Post by Magibon »

Checker wrote:
@ guinness: Fully agree ... and thank you :!:
@ Opera: Oh, what have you done to this browser.
@ Magibon: Oh, what had you done to the database entry. Heroes don't do that Image
I am Baas wrote:
^ That +1

Thanks for stepping in, guinness.

are you serious?
personal attacks?
(because i used "ChromePera" as a nickname to distiinguish between the new Opera v17 vs. Opera?)

i take what i post on here rather seriously...
(i spent almost an hour, cumulative, on that post, scanning, testing, verifying, etc.)
- the personal insight is from being an Opera enthusiast.. (to longtime Opera enthusiast)

i enjoy this freeware community..

if you have a problem.. PM me.. there's no need to go public and ostracize members...

if that's how you guys feel.. it's your right..
i can see where this community stands...
Last edited by Magibon on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Magibon wrote:the personal insight is from being an Opera enthusiast.. (to longtime Opera enthusiast...
That is fine in the comments section or here in the forums but absolutely not in the db entry.

the rest of your input (not just the Opera one) is welcome and much appreciated.

Magibon

#9 Post by Magibon »

I am Baas wrote:
Magibon wrote:the personal insight is from being an Opera enthusiast.. (to longtime Opera enthusiast...
That is fine in the comments section or here in the forums but absolutely not in the db entry.

the rest of your input (not just the Opera one) is welcome and much appreciated.
again.. im not going to argue w/anyone on here..
i feel the public thrashing by you guys is unprofessional..

i just thought more highly of this community....

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Please, take no offense -- written words some time convey more than they were really meant to say. Your input remains highly appreciated, my dear Magibon. :o

BTW, for what it's worth, I second the splitting of Opera entries in the database...

Magibon

#11 Post by Magibon »

Midas wrote:Please, take no offense -- written words some time convey more than they were really meant to say. Your input remains highly appreciated, my dear Magibon. :o

BTW, for what it's worth, I second the splitting of Opera entries in the database...
@ midas
you're actually one of the decent people who know how to communicate in a civil manner..
so please don't take this the wrong way..

if you've worked on something sooooo long.. and poured your heart & soul into it..
- only to find the community thinks you're an idiot, and "abusing your privileges", then publicly thrashes you..

you'd feel different..

i just think there should be a protocol for handling such situations..
- there should be more respect amongst members for handling mistakes, different view points, etc.

SYSTEM

#12 Post by SYSTEM »

The database is supposed to contain information, not opinions.
ChromePera is a dramatic change for the worst!
That sentence is not just an opinion, it's bashing.

----
Magibon wrote: only to find the community thinks you're an idiot
I think no one has said so.
Magibon wrote: and "abusing your privileges"
That one I agree with. You abused your privileges.
Magibon wrote: then publicly thrashes you..
The changes you made to the entry are public anyway: http://www.portablefreeware.com/changelog.php?id=507. By mentioning this in the forums, guinness merely attracted more attention.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Magibon

#13 Post by Magibon »

SYSTEM wrote:The database is supposed to contain information, not opinions.
ChromePera is a dramatic change for the worst!
That sentence is not just an opinion, it's bashing.

----
Magibon wrote: only to find the community thinks you're an idiot
I think no one has said so.
Magibon wrote: and "abusing your privileges"
That one I agree with. You abused your privileges.
Magibon wrote: then publicly thrashes you..
The changes you made to the entry are public anyway: http://www.portablefreeware.com/changelog.php?id=507. By mentioning this in the forums, guinness merely attracted more attention.

- as stated.. i've been under an illusion..
i truly thought people on here were my friends..
and we were a community..

As everyone has seen today..
my sentiment is 100% incorrect :)

I don't mind being wrong.. or corrected ..

But it's obvious.. "Friendship" & "Community" .. we have different definitions for.

Thanks for allowing me to vent..

I am Baas

#14 Post by I am Baas »

Magibon wrote:Thanks for allowing me to vent..
Sure, that's what friends are for :wink:

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

I have sent you a PM as it started to get personal.
Last edited by guinness on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.