JPE dlls okay to compress with upx v 3.00w --lzma

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
redllar

JPE dlls okay to compress with upx v 3.00w --lzma

#1 Post by redllar »

Since the 0.1.2 release I've been modding JPE to bring the gui up to speed as well as making some more changes to the runtime. While doing so I've been compressing all of the executables with upx v 3.00w using the --lzma option. And I'm happy to report that everything has been operating normally during testing. The compressed madCHook dll is no longer being flagged as containing a virus and the size of the new "optimized for speed" jauntePE dll gets compressed down by almost a factor of 5.

So, thanks to whoever posted as "ME" in the JPE comments section for pointing this out. And to whoever posted in the original PortaPotty thread about doing the same. I wish I had taken his/her advice back then and looked into this further.

Zach Thibeau

#2 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Great I'll be looking for more of JauntePE development

chezduong

Cool

#3 Post by chezduong »

Great! It was already pretty small before, but now it is micro-portable app at 244Kb.

By the way, I uncompressed the 2 exe's and recompressed them with UPX 3.0 compressing all icons not in the first icon directory. They are just slightly larger (3-5 Kb bigger each), but the icons look MUCH better.

redllar

Re: Cool

#4 Post by redllar »

chezduong wrote:By the way, I uncompressed the 2 exe's and recompressed them with UPX 3.0 compressing all icons not in the first icon directory. They are just slightly larger (3-5 Kb bigger each), but the icons look MUCH better.
Yeah, another thing I keep forgetting to do differently than I do for myself. Thanks for reminding me.