Pitaschio

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlephX

Pitaschio

#1 Post by AlephX »

Pitaschio version 2.20

This is a little productivity tool for the desktop.

Pitaschio seems to be portable since release 2.19, as it stopped writing settings to the registry.

http://pitaschio.ara3.net/

DL http://pitaschio.ara3.net/pita220.zip

For example :

* Snap a window to other windows when moving and resizing
* Restrict a window position to inside of the screen
* Always keep a window above all other windows
* Minimize a window to the system tray
* Use small icons in the desktop
* Disable Windows key, Insert key, Alt key etc.
* Lock the mouse or keyboard while cleaning them
* Take statistics about mouse and keyboard
* Calculate Moon's age
* Control the sound volume using the mouse wheel
* Display the sound volume level on the screen
Screenshot:

dasfx

#2 Post by dasfx »

I must say that I love this app. The only problem that I can think of is the hooking dll (pitadll.dll if I remember correctly) seems to stay hooked. I've run into that problem a couple of times when trying to upgrade to newer versions, such that I am usually forced to kill the processes that remained hooked. While this doesn't really change the portability factor, it is a definite, um, PITA.

DasFX

Midas

Pitaschio 2.26

#3 Post by Midas »

[Really] Old thread update: Pistaschio deserves to be in TPFC of its own right, since it's portable from v2.19 and has an impressive feature list (see below); download and place in a(ny) folder, settings will be kept in 'Pistachio.ini'...
  • Features: snap windows, place window in viewport only, adjust transparency with mouse wheel, minimize to tray, disable titlebar buttons, advanced window resize, align to grid, small desktop icons, volume control with mouse wheel, send mouse wheel input to windows under the cursor, activate window with mouse wheel, user configurable mouse shortcuts, go to parent folder by double clicking explorer white space, advanced file rename (vista like), user configurable disable system keys (Windows, Insert, Alt, Menu, Kanji and Caps lock), software pointer, autoraise, windows manager, Moon age tooltip, mouse and keyboard disabler, mouse and keyboard statistics, user configurable application blacklist (ignore.txt).
  • http://pitaschio.ara3.net/history.htm author wrote:
    • January 15, 2008 ver. 2.21
      [add] new option to disable F1 and Kana key
    • February 9, 2008 ver. 2.22
      [fix] a minor bug
    • April 18, 2008 ver. 2.23
      [fix] minor bugs (disable F1 key, extended rename)
    • August 3, 2008 ver.2.24
      [fix] some minor bugs
    • August 14, 2008 ver.2.25
      [fix] some minor bugs
    • May 7, 2009 ver.2.26
      [fix] some minor bugs
  • config[1].png
@Mod: considering AlephX hasn't visited since 2011, could the first post subject be edited to make this topic the official one for Pitaschio?

tproli

Re: Pitaschio version 2.20 portable?

#4 Post by tproli »

On Win7 causes "Windows Explorer(!) has stopped working" error message when started without admin mode. If launched with admin rights, on first Apply the same happens.

webfork

Re: Pitaschio 2.26

#5 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:... first post subject be edited to make this topic the official one for Pitaschio?
Sure thing. Edit complete.

Midas

Re: Pitaschio version 2.20 portable?

#6 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:On Win7 causes "Windows Explorer(!) has stopped working" error message when started without admin mode. If launched with admin rights, on first Apply the same happens.
Alas, doesn't really surprise me. :(

After that borked attempt to develop a 64 bit version (v2.27, see site), it looks as if the dev migrated from Windows XP, made a bold but half-hearted attempt to update Pitaschio and when it didn't work, forsake the whole affair.

BTW, I have a hunch those errors are related to the way 'hook' operation changed between Windows versions (for another example, see http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 628#p64628).

Notwithstanding, Pitaschio still is a 100% essential utility on Windows XP, IMHO.

Oh, and thanks for heeding my suggestion, dear Webfork. 8)

tproli

Re: Pitaschio

#7 Post by tproli »

Many (all?) of its features can be subsituted by PowerPro and it runs on Win7 too.

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:Many (all?) of its features can be substituted by PowerPro and it runs on Win7 too.
I have no doubt about that -- but then, the learning curve gets steeper and there must be more configuration to do, right? :roll:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... .php?t=209

tproli

#9 Post by tproli »

Yes, PowerPro is not for kids :)