Closeout

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dmg

Closeout

#1 Post by dmg »

"Closeout sends the 'close' signal to all open windows. Allowing you to clear your desktop of just about any number of open files, folders or applications just by launching Closeout."

Closeout provides the same functionality as Close All Windows, which is already in the database, only Closeout is open source and written in AutoHotkey which inherently makes it so much better... 8)

I have added Closeout to the database. Please check it out and vote for it. :)
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2496

guinness

Re: Closeout

#2 Post by guinness »

Interesting idea. Maybe you should add a warning to ask "Are you sure?" kind of thing.

dmg

#3 Post by dmg »

I see how a warning dialogue might be a good idea, but I think it may also partially defeat the purpose, closing all windows quickly with minimal fuss. I will add a warning to the list of possible future features, along with allowing an exclusion list and launching with parameters to close specific windows or window groups.

Any other features that seem useful? I will be happy to hear them. :)

dmg

#4 Post by dmg »

So, I was working on implementing an exclusion list feature for Closeout and found that Close All Windows allows process based exclusions through a command line parameter. I was working on a .txt file list the user could create in the app directory containing exclusions based on window titles.

I can do either or some hybrid of the two. Does anyone have any ideas or arguments on the subject? :)

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

dmg wrote:I see how a warning dialogue might be a good idea, but I think it may also partially defeat the purpose, closing all windows quickly with minimal fuss. I will add a warning to the list of possible future features, along with allowing an exclusion list and launching with parameters to close specific windows or window groups.
I think the trick is you give them a note "Are you sure? This is going to close ALL your windows." with the box underneath it "don't show this again" so you can help your users make the right choice.

I'd also like to see a whitelist of programs it *won't* close. That way I can run this program and not close down the few programs I *have* to have open at all times, but quickly shut down everything else. It's like restarting, but gentler.

dmg

#6 Post by dmg »

webfork wrote:I'd also like to see a whitelist of programs it *won't* close. That way I can run this program and not close down the few programs I *have* to have open at all times, but quickly shut down everything else. It's like restarting, but gentler.
I agree an exclusion list is a good idea. I am working to implement one but I got stalled on how it should work. As I posted above, I started with it being a .txt file list in the app directory that would contain partial window titles to be ignored by Closeout. Then I thought maybe basing it on the process that owns the window would be better. If you have any ideas I would like to hear them.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

So what's the license? It just says "Open Source/Freeware"

dmg

#8 Post by dmg »

And that is quite accurate. I have released all my programs as open source freeware under no specific existing license. Here are the full terms:
http://crzyinc.weebly.com/terms.html
A shorter version of this is included with the source of every app on my site.

Now... Any thoughts on an exclusion list?

dmg

#9 Post by dmg »

I finally got around to adding the exclusions system! And it is more flexible than the process based system 'that other app' uses. Windows can be excluded by partial or complete titles. This version is also a wee bit smaller than the last, not sure why though...

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

dmg wrote:I finally got around to adding the exclusions system
Hey are you still working on this? I had a few questions / feature suggestions:

1. An example "exclusions" file with a few common programs.
2. Some method to close down items in the notification area / system tray (by default on my system it ignores them).
3. On my system I get a "shutdown" prompt. Is that normal?

dmg

#11 Post by dmg »

Greetings webfork

Including an example exclusions file is a good idea. I will look into it.
As it is now Closeout is not supposed to touch apps in the tray. In order to close them it would need some major changes, at least I think so... I will look at it.
What do you mean by shutdown prompt? You mean some windows, such as a browser, may pop up a confirmation asking if you want to close the window? I can't really do much about that. Closeout only sends the 'close' signal to open windows. If the window then puts up a prompt Closeout has no way of knowing or doing anything about it.

Thank you for the input! :)