WaveShop - audio editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
victimofleisure

Re: WaveShop Portable - 32-64bit

#31 Post by victimofleisure »

By popular demand, the latest version of WaveShop (1.0.8) supports recording, and not only in mono/stereo, but also in surround. Because WaveShop records directly to disk, the duration is unlimited except by available disk space. Recordings exceeding 4GB are automatically converted from WAV format to RF64 format, avoiding WAV's 4GB limit. The record dialog includes level/peak meters and supports pause/resume. Basic multitracking is achievable by enabling "Sync playback".

Checker

#32 Post by Checker »

@ victimofleisure: Thanks ... and updated :wink:

joby_toss

#33 Post by joby_toss »

Does Recording also support global hotkeys? That would be awesome!

victimofleisure

#34 Post by victimofleisure »

joby_toss wrote:Does Recording also support global hotkeys? That would be awesome!
Not currently. This isn't the appropriate place for feature requests however. To report a bug or request a feature, please create a ticket. You'll need a SourceForge account, which you can register for here. Be sure to specify what you mean by global hotkeys, why they would be useful to you, and exactly how you think it should work.

ck

joby_toss

#35 Post by joby_toss »

Done.

webfork

#36 Post by webfork »

victimofleisure wrote:By popular demand, the latest version of WaveShop (1.0.8) supports recording, and not only in mono/stereo, but also in surround. Because WaveShop records directly to disk, the duration is unlimited except by available disk space. Recordings exceeding 4GB are automatically converted from WAV format to RF64 format, avoiding WAV's 4GB limit. The record dialog includes level/peak meters and supports pause/resume. Basic multitracking is achievable by enabling "Sync playback".
Awesome. Thanks for doing that.

victimofleisure

#37 Post by victimofleisure »

webfork wrote:Awesome. Thanks for doing that.
You're welcome! It was fun. Let me know how it works for you. Between coding, testing and documenting all this stuff, I don't get much chance to play with WaveShop, so I rely on user feedback to learn what's working and what isn't. It's possible there could be subtle issues I don't see, because I'm not using WaveShop in real-world situations enough to notice them.

I'd like to get metadata editing working next. It's a bit lame to support FLAC/OGG/MP3/AAC but not support tags. To get it working I need to understand the different metadata APIs in a bunch of libraries (libid3tag for MP3, libfaad2 for AAC/MP4, and libsndfile for everything else), well enough to wrap them in a suitably general abstraction, so they coexist peacefully. I did a lot of work with all those libraries recently, so it makes sense to do metadata while the details of those libraries are still reasonably fresh in my mind. My memory capacity is finite: newer details tend to crowd out the older ones, or at least make them fuzzy.

victimofleisure

#38 Post by victimofleisure »

joby_toss wrote:Does Recording also support global hotkeys? That would be awesome!
Joby, thanks for creating a ticket. I posted a comment on it, asking some questions; I need to understand your usage scenario better. Let's discuss it further over at SF.

-Chris

victimofleisure

#39 Post by victimofleisure »

Just to follow up on this issue: as of version 1.0.9, WaveShop now supports global hotkeys for starting/stopping recording, along with one-touch recording, sound-activated recording, and scheduled recording (via Task Scheduler and a record command-line flag).

Here's an image of the Record Options dialog:

And here's the Record Options Activation manual page:
http://waveshop.sourceforge.net/Help/Op ... vation.htm

The next release will feature channel selection, allowing audio commands to be applied to a subset of the channels, e.g. amplifying only the right channel, etc.

Midas

#40 Post by Midas »

Old topic update: further Waveshop development news are at http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=20776 ...

webfork

#41 Post by webfork »

I did some testing and I'm a little confused by the whole "bit perfect" thing: I had an MP3 encoded to 320 CBR and then when I tried to save, it wanted to output to output to VBR, which is re-encoding. Then, when I tried to edit an M4A file, it wanted me to output to uncompressed WAV format, which is definitely going to require re-encoding. Am I missing something?

loin2kolpotoru

#42 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

I think It only supports "bit perfect" on uncompressed wav files compressed files are re-encoded.

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:I think It only supports "bit perfect" on uncompressed wav files compressed files are re-encoded.
Cool -- thanks for the clarification.

loin2kolpotoru

#44 Post by loin2kolpotoru »

You are welcome.