Stick A Note V1.0.1

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Stick A Note V1.0.1

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Stick a text note to a window of program or document. The note shows only on that window and moves with it.
https://sites.google.com/site/stickanote/home

Download @ https://sites.google.com/site/stickanot ... ects=0&d=1

I am Baas

Re: Stick A Note V1.0.1

#2 Post by I am Baas »

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Really useful for people who test software or if you're using radically different programs for different tasks. A lot of note taking programs require you to tag your notes to help keep track of them (CintaNotes for example) where Sitck A Note is plugged into the program your using. So for example if you only use Outlook for work and AutoHotKey for your development hobby, this program just became your work and hobby notes keeper.

4.3 megs RAM, 4.5k disk space

Good:
  • Text only, no formatting. I prefer this, but other users will miss the rich text capabilities.
  • Generates create their own individual text file, which I really liked: there's no export process to give it to another program. You can edit the note in any text editor, save it, and then press Win+N twice and the changes will refresh. If the author does add a menu system to add/delete/edit interface for various notes, I hope this text file output system doesn't change.
  • The dev actually posted to that AddictiveTips page Baas posted, implying that he's at least still involved and we'll see more developments from this.
Issues:
  • Hotkey can be changed, but must be a letter + the Win key.
  • Clicking on any part of the note besides the links at the bottom just makes it flicker, which is odd.
  • Doesn't use relative file locations
Wishlist:
  • Context - Ability to paste into the note some of what's happening IN the note. So for example, if you're working on an email, it would be nice to easily paste whatever's in that individual window like an address, subject, or name.
  • By default,‭ ‬paths are saved with static rather than relative pathnames.‭ ‬So using a drive on one computer like‭ ‬d:‭\‬portable will break all notes associations when your computer gives the drive to‭ ‬e:‭\‬portable.‭
  • More hotkey options.

Appearance:
    • Larger [X] button to hide the window, maybe just the whole lower right corner. I seemed to want to press this more than pressing Win+N
    • Optional ability to just minimize to a small hovering box or something rather than hide completely
    • More color options, including the ability to change the default color
    • Change note size, including automatically take up the full window space vertically, horrizontally, or both.
    • Click and drag to other corners of the window (I prefer top right, but I can imagine a program where lower right or lower left would be more useful/convenient.
(Tested on WinXP SP3)
Last edited by webfork on Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: (added a few more wishlist things)

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Stick A Note updated:
Version 2.1.0, 01 Jan 2012

- To automatically show note for active program, select 'Auto Show' Note in Settings. Once note is closed, you can press hotekey to show it again.
- If the active program has a note, then the tray icon changes to idicate it, even if the note is closed.
- To quickly edit a note, click on the note text to get 'Edit note' menu option.
- To quickly copy the note text to clipboard for other program, click on the note text to get 'Copy note to clipboard' menu option.
- To insert text from clipboard, select 'Insert..' in Edit Note window.
- To delete a note from system, select 'Delete' in Edit Note window.
- Select default note color in Settings.
- Select default borderless note in Settings.
- Select Hotkey in better way with separate checkboxes and dropdown list in Settings.
- [X] (close) link made [ X ], bit bigger.
https://sites.google.com/site/stickanote/

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Stick A Note updated
Excellent news.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Was waiting for some excuse add this to the database but, in testing this program again recently, it was clear that it could totally revolutionize a few people's unique workspace situations.

Stick A Note
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2481

Midas

Re: Stick A Note

#7 Post by Midas »

Great app! Voted. 8)

My wishlist:
  • - Active links;
    - Customizable fonts;
    - Customizable note filesystem location;
    - Customizable note aspect and placement;
    - Customizable program icons.