Miranda NG - Multi-Network Instant Messenger

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Miranda NG - Multi-Network Instant Messenger

#1 Post by joby_toss »

[Moderator note: this is the primary Miranda NG program thread. View database entry]

---

Just noticed a new PAc release for this app. The entry states that it is the successor of Miranda IM.
Yet Wikipedia says it is only a fork started in 2012.
It sure does look nice and it is fast.
Should we also make a separate entry for this?

http://miranda-ng.org/

• Protocol Support
    AIM (AOL Instant Messenger)
    Em-LAN
    Facebook
    Gadu-Gadu
    Jabber
    MRA
    MSN
    Omegle
    Twitter
    Yahoo
    Xfire
    Supported Operating Systems
    2000 / 2003 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8
  • License
    Miranda NG is published under the GNU GPL license.
Download, unzip, run: http://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?title=Download
Wikipedia wrote:In May 2012 Miranda IM was forked to Miranda NG (New Generation). The reasons were differences in the development team and slow-moving development of original Miranda. Main differences between original client and fork are: moving to VS2010 compiler thus deprecating ANSI version, core and plugins development is combined and share unified repository.

guinness

Re: Miranda NG

#2 Post by guinness »

A reason for the fork was "slow progress", but a new stable version of Miranda IM was literally uploaded 3 weeks ago.

JohnTHaller

#3 Post by JohnTHaller »

guinness wrote:A reason for the fork was "slow progress", but a new stable version of Miranda IM was literally uploaded 3 weeks ago.
The reasoning still holds true if you read their rationale. Slow progress was not about new minor releases, but being able to move the app forward. Miranda IM doesn't even have complete Unicode support yet. Miranda IM's updates have been relatively minor. Miranda NG has already switched entirely to to Unicode and added support for adding/removing plugins while the app is running, which is pretty handy. Additionally, all their plugins are up to date, and they have a plugin updater that can run automatically to update them for you, all pretty handy.

It's not really a 'successor', that's what the devs call it and we just included that description.

The PAF package of Miranda NG includes the 6 languages they make available as well as another 15 that I updated from Miranda IM format that were reasonably complete. I've posted to the Miranda NG team that they're available so they can make them available to their users as well.

If you're a fan of Miranda IM, NG is worth trying. I'm not sure which version will 'win' if that will even happen, but we had lots of users request the NG fork so we made it available at PA.c. Personally, I'm a Pidgin user (and use the Pidgin Skype plugin to connect to a local Skype install when at home).
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I'm actually unbiased as I use the classic snail mail, carrier pigeon or the slowly dwindling e-mail to connect with people I know.

MiDoJo

#5 Post by MiDoJo »

I've been using the 64bit NG and (other than 64bit with most of my plugins available) it's relatively the same.
Took at bit to reconfigure to be like my previous 32 bit MIR
but yeah it's still considered alphaish so maybe a mention in the miranda entry at most.

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

Switched to Miranda NG.

Had some minor cosmetic issues I needed to reconfigure for my skin, but so far so good!
Someone should post it to TPFC. It uses the same mirandaboot.ini and supports the same parameters.

Here's a list of differences between the two:
http://wiki.miranda-ng.org/index.php?ti ... Miranda_IM
is it stealth? ;)

freakazoid

#7 Post by freakazoid »

Submitted to TPFC: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2507

Vote it up if you like it!
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Submitted to TPFC
Thanks for doing that

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Miranda NG and the Tox network

There's been some discussion about the Tox network on forums so I spent some time getting Miranda NG to work on that network:

Steps
  1. Download as instructions given in the entry
  2. Download the Tox plugin
  3. Copy the contents of Icons, Libs, and Plugins to their corresponding folders in the Miranda NG folder (i.e. Tox.dll and Tox.ini in the Plugins folder should get extracted to Miranda NG\Plugins)
  4. Under accounts, click the + symbol and select the drop down for TOX. You can import from other accounts or create one.
Notes
  • The NG client lists other Tox users as just being away when they’re actually offline (remember this is still in development)
  • Only the standard IM features appear to work on NG - no voice or video
  • File transfers appeared to function well. You have to drag-and-drop a file onto the chat window and then the other person’s contact list will flash. Then, double click on this item to accept the transfer.
Not secure enough?

If you don’t trust that network, you can also install OTR for an additional layer of security. That’s on the download page and is installed similar to the process above (move items in plugins folder to Miranda NG plugins folder). Then restart, click the lock icon that appears in each message window, and follow the instructions.

webfork

Re: Miranda NG - Multi-Network Instant Messenger

#10 Post by webfork »

I needed to connect to the WhatsApp service so I tested out Miranda NG's plugin for that service and unfortunately it wasn't working. I tried to dig into the site forums but didn't make much progress. Anyone know of a working WhatsApp connector?

webfork

Re: Miranda NG - Multi-Network Instant Messenger

#11 Post by webfork »

So I saw on the Miranda NG home page that the project is calling itself the Miranda IM "successor": https://www.miranda-ng.org/en/ . I thought this was presumptuous, but it is notable that Miranda IM hasn't seen any updates since April 2018 and the website is now offline. It's looking a bit like LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice at this point.