Portable Software that hasn't been developed?

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
webfork

Re: Portable Software that hasn't been developed?

#31 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:
Hydaral wrote:2D and 3D CAD. I'm currently using DraftSight for 2D, it's not natively portable, but I've hacked together a wrapper for it. Blender is OK for general 3D, but it's very hard to draw things that are mm accurate.
Also there is of course SolveSpace mentioned here on the list recently.

Anyway, nice to see the available portable options expanding, especially an open source one (LibreCAD -- SolveSpace is freeware).

tproli

#32 Post by tproli »

Does anyone know a utility that can paste hex color in the clipboard to windows color picker?

Example:
- #990000 is on the clipboard
- open windows color picker, place the cursor in the "Red" input field
- push a hotkey (e.g. ctrl-shift-c)
- the application would transform "#990000" to "153, 0, 0" and would paste color chunks to the corresponding fields (Red, Green, Blue)

My first thought was PowerPro but a more general solution would be better. I gave it a try in NSIS but soon found that it is not capable to do that.

I think this would save a lot of time, probably not for just me. If there is no such application I will probably make it in AutoIt (at least I will try) but as I have little time nowadays and being no AutoIt expert it won't happen in the near future.

---

[Moderator note: to avoid a thread hijack, responses to this post have been moved to their own thread.]

Marc

#33 Post by Marc »

I'd limit my list of portable apps to 3:

* An application manager capable of working in a similar fashion of how a game editor and his triggers works.
Example: Condition 1 is met, Condition to 2 as well (defined perhaps as system variables)
Examples of them: Idle time is more than 5 minutes, max cpu usage is 60%, memory RAM usage is 80%, uptime is 24 hours, etc.
To be able to define complex conditions "If...." and actions "execute this application with the following command if the conditions are met; close this application if the following conditions are met. If the variables or possible triggers were to be implemented as modular plugins or addons that could be created by a community, the available functionality would/may be even further expanded. In game editors there are conditions such as "if trigger A was succesfully executed to true/or false", to enable to create triggers based on the output of another trigger or specify another trigger output as a condition for execution of another one.

In terms of computer resources or management of applications, it would allow for the system to better take care of itself unattendedly.
Example: given certain circumstances, a portable application could run and terminate itself once conditions are no longer met.

*A full-featured portable automation program, with support for identifying text/buttons in windows along with actions such as wait x minutes.

*A virtual file manager/catalog capable of handling large amount of files. Creating directory snapshots every given days and ability to compare them against each one (created/deleted/modified files/folders) and in time/draw statistics, such as the growing rate in terms of file items/size for a given directory, expected required disk space for next 6 months.
Ideally it could serve as a way of visualizating changes in time/history of drives files and folders, as well as keeping a catalog/listing of files folders in the created snapshots. Perhaps with functionality to relate a given file/folder in a snapshot to the same file/folder listing in other snapshots providing statistics about it.
Example: File 1, snapshot 2012 06 No changes, snapshot 2012 05 Added 5 files, deleted 1 / Growth in 22 MB, snapshot 2012 04 No changes
Overall statistics: growth rate / 3 months, total added files.

Edit: It's been more than 3 months that the draft had been hold.
Last edited by Marc on Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#34 Post by guinness »

Most of what you requested already exists.

Marc

#35 Post by Marc »

Would you mind naming them?
Regarding #3, Virtual Volumes View constantly crashes with large amounts of files.

Marc

#36 Post by Marc »

webfork wrote:* A text-transformation utility similar to the very not portable CleanHaven
Not sure if this application is what you are/were after for, Text File Operations
This application is intended for easy automatic transforming of simple line-oriented text files like files with various lists etc. The transforming "syntax" is based on Total Commander's "Multi-Rename Tool" syntax which you might be familiar with and which is very easy to use.
Link http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... ions.shtml

I haven't tested it for portability and the webpage from the author seems to be down.

guinness

#37 Post by guinness »

*A full-featured portable automation program, with support for identifying text/buttons in windows along with actions such as wait x minutes.
AutoIt
Last edited by guinness on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc

#38 Post by Marc »

You are right, AutoIt and AutoHotKey are full featured automation software.
I wasn't clear enough, I missed to add that the user could create automation tasks without learning an scripting language.
I did some research and AutoMate8 seems to sum up all those features, but is shareware and most likely not portable.
Closer to it, there's Sikuli that can create automation tasks out of screenshots. It lists a portable version for Linux but not for Windows.
And there's Automator for Mac and Actions, which is not likely to be portable either and "Unfortunately, Actions can only create simple workflows like this at the moment; it doesn't have the flexibility that Automator does".

Interestingly AutoMate8 also apparently features trigger actions based functionality as #1

There's also AutoHotkey AutoScriptWriter though if I recap correctly it doesn't allow to include/modify actions such as wait X minutes before task X.

tproli

#39 Post by tproli »

PowerPro could be another option though it is not that user-friendly and for advanced stuffs you probably need to use (learn) its scripting language. It is officially not portable but in practice it is.

guinness

#40 Post by guinness »

And AutoIt has its own Au3Record software.

SYSTEM

#41 Post by SYSTEM »

Marc wrote: * An application manager capable of working in a similar fashion of how a game editor and his triggers works.
7plus can do that.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Marc

#42 Post by Marc »

@SYSTEM
Thanks. It looks very powerful with hotkeys and windows, but I'm not sure how to create rules/events with application status/cpu usage/memory used/free disk space/idle time over a period of time/process name/ as conditions.
On the other hand I find great conditions such as messages from applications.
I haven't finished exploring it though, I have the impression that actions can be virtually anything by specifying an application and that the limits are in the conditions/triggers.

@guinness
Maybe I'm wrong here, once the script is created with Au3, in order to modify it, it is needed to get into the scripting language, though it is a lot easier to only modify a script (also if the scripting language is simple).
For example/perhaps to translate mouse clicks to ControlClick if I'm getting it right...

@tproli
I'm checking it.

guinness

#43 Post by guinness »

That's correct, generally speaking.

Midas

#44 Post by Midas »

Has anyone tried Perfect Automation for this effect? It has a portable(?) version... :?:

http://www.perfectautomation.com/

guinness

#45 Post by guinness »

Interesting find Midas. I like how it's ideal for beginners, though if you're an "advanced" user then I would just recommend using AutoIt or AHK.