DropIt

If you are currently developing portable freeware or planning to do so, use this forum to discuss technical implementation, seek out like-minded developers for partnership, or solicit interested users for beta testing.
Lupo73

Re: DropIt

#1036 Post by Lupo73 »

This update may fixes some of the reported bugs and includes some interface changes:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip

RainrooM

#1037 Post by RainrooM »

Thanks for the fixes Lupo73.
I found the following strange behaviour.
Profile name : Fotos Ebibu
Rule : c:\MYDATA\Fotos verantwoordelijken\*.jpg
Destination folder : %Desktop%\Pictures\PicList_Ebibu.html

The output file is created however in following folder : c:\MYDATA\Fotos verantwoordelijken\APRIL\C\Documents and Settings\G201xxx\Desktop\Pictures\

It looks like the %Desktop% variable is not correctly working.

RainrooM

#1038 Post by RainrooM »

Lupo73, I notice that when overwrite setting is set to 'overwrite if newer', the output file is update (the modified TIME changes), even when nothing has been changed in the folders. (no new file added or files removed). Is it normal that the output file in that case changes ?

Following bug: When you edit an enabled association line and you save it again, and then closes the Manage Associations window, I notive that when you go back to the Manage Associations window, the box is disabled for that same line.

Lupo73

#1039 Post by Lupo73 »

%Desktop% issue fixed, thanks.

Can you write me an example to replicate the 'overwrite if newer' issue?

The disable association issue is already in the list of planned fixes. :wink:

Lupo73

#1040 Post by Lupo73 »

Update available:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/files/dropi ... rtable.zip

Fixed the "Disable association" issue. Instead I verified that the 'overwrite if newer' thing is not an issue: DropIt compares the modified date of the file in destination path with the source file, overwriting the destination file if the source file is newer. If you are creating a new file (like a new list or playlist), DropIt have to consider it as new because it doesn't exist until it is created, so the feature correctly works.

I'm not able to replicate the "extraction" issue reported by the accountant, can someone help me to find an example where it occurs? thanks!

GraemeEvans

#1041 Post by GraemeEvans »

I figured out what was causing the strange error i was getting where it was trying to move all the folders in a monitored folder to c:\

it started happening again with your latest version but only with one folder while it ignored some other folders, i couldnt tell what was causing it but i eventually noticed my rule for deleting empty folders was set to delete folders of size = 1b . rather than <1b i dont know why this only seemed to be a problem with a specific folder. Maybe the name length dictates the size of the folder and this ones name made it larger. I also dont know why this mistake in the association would make dropit try to copy it to c:\, as none of my associations have anything to do with that location and it would try to do it even with the associations all disabled.

Its stopped doing it for now, so i'm glad of that, hopefully it wont come back

Lupo73

#1042 Post by Lupo73 »

Both issues you reported are fixed in the last beta release. There was an issue in the function to sort items before the process (used to optimize the list of loaded items) and I decided to use another function to do it.

GraemeEvans

#1043 Post by GraemeEvans »

Lupo73 wrote:Both issues you reported are fixed in the last beta release. There was an issue in the function to sort items before the process (used to optimize the list of loaded items) and I decided to use another function to do it.
I just tested the newest version you posted and im still getting the same issue, except its even more strange.

ok, so in my monitored folder there is a folder that contains a txt file. If i have this one folder in my monitored folder then every time it runs a scan it asks me if i want to overwrite, rename or skip when trying to move the folder to \ overwriting and skipping run ok, except the folder is copied not moved, but pressing rename cause the application to freeze up. Ok, so now if i create any other file, a txt, a bmp, an mp4, any other file in the same monitored folder (except creating an empty folder, that doesnt help). If i create a txt then suddenly its fine with deleting the original txt file and the new one and stopps trying to move the folder to \ once it is empty. If i copy the same folder\txt file combination into one of my other empty monitored folders then the exact same issue occurs from there too, and it fixes if i create any other files in there. Now, if i create a bmp, which i have no associations for then the error will continue after the txt file has been deleted and it keeps trying to move the folder. If i tell it to overwrite then it will move the bmp to the \ location along with the folder. If i create one new txt file i get the same issue so i dont think it has anything to do with details of the specific txt file in the folder. It just seems to not like handling a single file. The oddity doesnt stop there, if i make a separate folder and move the txt file on its own in there then it will still try to move the original folder, even if i rename it. But at this point it is ignoring the new folders, it wont try to move them to \ even when the txt file is inside the different folder. If i make a duplicate of the problem folder then it will ignore the duplicate also, so long as the original folder is still there, if i delete the original folder it now trys to move the copy even if it is now a different name. If i have a third folder, one created by creating a new folder, then copy the txt file inside this third folder and then delete both the original folder and the copy of the original then it will start trying to move this third new folder to \. If i keep the folders and move the single txt file to directly in the monitored folder then dropit still tries to move the original folder. If i delete the folder then it deletes the txt file the next time it scans.

This whole time my association for deleting empty folder doesn't work and this popup pauses dropit from doing anymore scans, so no great for keeping my automated system running :(

i'll test the setup on a different computer tomorrow and see if the same thing occurs and let you know

Lupo73

#1044 Post by Lupo73 »

This long description may be useful to replicate the issue on my computer, but I need also your settings INI file and your profiles, and a note to understand what actions are called by monitoring feature to process files.

RainrooM

#1045 Post by RainrooM »

Maybe out of scope but how about following idea.
Selecting text and drop the text to Dropit. Action = create a file with the text as content. %userinput% can be used to name te file. By that files can be created with the selected text.
Secondly, if possible another action could be to add more selected texts to an existing file. Ex. useful to built up some text with different parts of selected text.

GraemeEvans

#1046 Post by GraemeEvans »

Lupo73 wrote:This long description may be useful to replicate the issue on my computer, but I need also your settings INI file and your profiles, and a note to understand what actions are called by monitoring feature to process files.
I managed to replicate the problem on my laptop, so i'm assuming the setup should cause the same error on any computer. All the files in the rar go in the C:\ folder. in order for the monitored folders to match up but you can put them anywhere and fix the monitored location and the problem still occurs.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33404011/Dropi ... eEvans.rar - link will be ready in about 5 minutes

Also, i don;t get what you mean by "a note to understand what actions are called by monitoring feature to process files." but i've included a screen shot of the message that comes up
Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg

Lupo73

#1047 Post by Lupo73 »

@RainrooM: support text drag&drop is a planned feature, but with minor priority at the moment (at least for this release).

@GraemeEvans: your screenshot is a "duplicates message" used for actions with a destination path, but your profile includes only two "Delete" actions, so I cannot understand when that message appears. Now, considering that you use also a move or copy action, I think the problem is the destination (that is only a "\" character). What is the purpose with that destination path? Could you change it and verify if the problem persists?

RainrooM

#1048 Post by RainrooM »

Variables are placed at the end when the cursor is at the very beginning of the distination field.

When double clicking on the icon in the system tray, the icon is placed on the desktop. However when there are more profiles, it is not possible to right click and make a selection. You first need to change to another profile by means of the roller (up or down) of the mouse.

When changing the properties settings in Additional Filters, the field where you can enter the "number" is moving up a bit, when you change the first field (= from > into < or other combination).

RainrooM

#1049 Post by RainrooM »

Is it possible to generate a txt or csv file with all the profile names, name of associations, rules, action and destination logged line by line?
Would be useful to keep an overview when you have many profiles and rule sets.
Thanks

GraemeEvans

#1050 Post by GraemeEvans »

that's the problem, I'm not telling drop it to copy anything to anywhere, my only associations are delete to bin. I can't change the destination because i never set it to / and I'm pretty sure the error would come up in the same setup even if all the associations were disabled. I'm clueless, I can only ever seem to prevent it for a while by deleting files and folders manually, but it always seems to happen again eventually and it defeats the purpose of the automated system.