ASuite - application launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
El Salvador

Re: ASuite 2.0 Alpha 1 released

#151 Post by El Salvador »

P.S.2: Disabling safesecurity doesn't work properly yet it this alpha. Doing so will apparently save no settings on exit, and on next launch, asuite will complain that it didn't shutdown correctly.
Yep, disabling savesecurity, ASuite will not save anymore and so you can't disable this option. I'm resolving just now...

joby_toss

Re: ASuite 2.0 Alpha 2 released

#152 Post by joby_toss »

After 2,5 years... :)

ASuite 2.0 Alpha 2 released: http://sourceforge.net/projects/asuite/ ... Alpha%202/
El Salvador wrote:I am pleased to announce that ASuite 2.0 Alpha 2 is available for download by developers and testers. This is an early developer release intended for testing purposes only.

This alpha has only basic features, without advanced functions, like Scheduler, Hotkey, Mouse Sensors and etc... Don't worry, these functions will back in Alpha 3. For more information, see the roadmap ( https://github.com/salvadorbs/Asuite/issues/milestones ).

Changelog
Frontend
+ Added Windows 7 support
+ Removed SaveSecurity
+ Improved Search
+ Added Most Frequently Used list in TrayMenu

Backed
+ Porting to Lazarus 1.0.6/FPC 2.6.2
+ Use sqlite database as storage format (instead xml)
+ Rewrited many parts of code
+ Added complete PNG support

Known issues
This version is not available in other language than English. I will add localization in Alpha 3 or Beta version.

joby_toss

#153 Post by joby_toss »

Another 2 years have passed, yet ASuite is not dead! :)
After two years, I am pleased to announce the ASuite 2.0 Alpha 3 is available to download for developers and testers. This is an early developer release intended for testing purposes only.
The new theme for Graphic Menu

This alpha version has all advanced ASuite 1.5.x features, except Mouse Sensors (it will return in 2.1), SaveSecurity (useless feature).

This is the last alpha version. In fact, Asuite in feature freeze. In other words, I stop introducing new features and concentrate on fixing bugs in the development release.

Happy testing to everyone.

Changelog
Frontend
  • Added Windows 8/8.1 support
    Return all advanced features from ASuite 1.5.x
    New icons
    New default theme for Graphic Menu
    Add consts %foldericon% and %urlicon% for relative paths
    Redesign many forms
    Added some new options (example small or big icon in GraphicMenu)
Backed
  • Rewrited many (and many) parts of code
    Better Graphic menu with a simple theme engine
    New structure folders and file names in ASuite source code
    Faster and user friendly as never before
    Support localization (for translators, wait at least Beta version for translate in your language. Some strings will change in future. Thanks)

http://www.salvadorsoftware.com/news/as ... 3-released

https://github.com/salvadorbs/Asuite/re ... 2.0-alpha3

http://sourceforge.net/projects/asuite/ ... Alpha%203/

joby_toss

Re: ASuite 1.1

#154 Post by joby_toss »

I've made this the official forum topic for the DB entry: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=692

Some of the updates may be followed here: viewtopic.php?t=6765

http://www.salvadorsoftware.com/

El Salvador

#155 Post by El Salvador »

Another 2 years have passed, yet ASuite is not dead! :)
Eheh... ASuite is an immortal sofware (yeah yeah, ASuite 2.0 is vaporware, too :oops: ). ;)

JohnTHaller

#156 Post by JohnTHaller »

This is using a modified version of the PortableApps.com Platform's Classic Theme from an earlier release of the PortableApps.com Platform for its "New default theme for Graphic Menu". Here is an unmodified copy of the old PortableApps.com Platform 10.0 with a similar background color selected to mix into the transparent theme chrome for reference:

Please note that this is not permitted as this theme is not made available under an open source or shared license. As stated in the included readme.txt: "The PortableApps.com Logo and themes are trade dress of Rare Ideas, LLC. No permission to use or modify them is expressed or implied." So, the theme files other than the open source icons can not be used with other works. Even if it was mistakenly believed the themes were released under the GPL as our source code is, no credit or attribution was given anywhere in this package.

We spent a lot of time and money creating the themes used in the PortableApps.com Platform. Please don't steal our work and claim it as your own.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

El Salvador

#157 Post by El Salvador »

Ok, no problem. I will change it. Next time, email me please. You have my email address from 2006.
no credit or attribution was given anywhere in this package.
It is an Alpha version. Readme or other docs aren't ready.

JohnTHaller

#158 Post by JohnTHaller »

El Salvador wrote:Ok, no problem. I will change it. Next time, email me please. You have my email address from 2006.
no credit or attribution was given anywhere in this package.
It is an Alpha version. Readme or other docs aren't ready.
Please remove it ASAP. You can insert placeholder graphics for the time being for the background image, eject, close, drive space, etc since it is an alpha and re-release as alpha 3. You're improperly including the assets in a package you have labeled as GPL on SourceForge and on github. Anyone else can come along, download your package, and then use the image files in another work and think they are acting legally. That's why even a pre-alpha should include details on the licensing and sources of all assets in a package. Please remove the alpha 3 packages as well as all versions of the improperly included files.

I have sent you an email with the pertinent details. I posted it here as well to ensure that anyone who downloaded it and wanted to add to your work would know they can't legally include the files as well. One of the issues with releasing a non-open source file as open source under a license like the GPL is that they can quickly spread to other users and developers who have no idea they are illegally using the files. That's the reason the notification should be included and the files removed immediately.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

Re: ASuite 2.0 Beta

#159 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:Another 2 years have passed, yet ASuite is not dead! :)
Still going. ASuite 2.0 Beta released 3/28/2015

Ours: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=692
His: http://www.salvadorsoftware.com/
Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Lau ... uite.shtml

License: GPLv3

In testing so far it works pretty well. I'll post more on that next week.

webfork

Re: ASuite - application launcher

#160 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:In testing so far it works pretty well. I'll post more on that next week.
Summary
  • The program is clearly intended as a Pstart replacement, which is more than welcome from me as I've been using the abandoned Pstart program since I started with portable freeware. You can add in programs that don't fit into a predefined structure, which is excellent.

Program includes parameters, scheduler, custom icons, autorun, and window state (minimized/maximized) and hotkeys similar to Pstart.

Wishlist
  • Options Menu:
    • Increase size of text
    • Hover text / more detail for items in the options menu to explain what they do
  • Folder watch - ability to auto-add a given folder's root EXE files on the fly so you can import in a live manner whatever has changed in your PortableApps WPP menu files. That way you can keep using their App Store system without having to add new items to the menu.
  • Skin/Face Selection - Right now the left click = classic, right click = graphic, and seems a little odd. I'd probably recommend giving the user the option to choose the window type they like, whether static, classic, or graphical. The double-click for static window is great.

Issues
  • I've been having problems with the directory scan tool on both Win7x64 and x86 but there's a great import tool that works with Pstart and WinPenPack: http://i.imgur.com/4Fmwe3P.png

Unfortunately it's important that you add data in from the same relative location. So for example:

Importing from Z:\Files\Pstart when Asuite is located in Z:\Files\Data\Asuite will break all the links. You can fix this by moving Asuite to the same subfolder (in this example Z:\Files\Asuite).

El Salvador

#161 Post by El Salvador »

Hello. Thank you very much for your testing. :)
Increase size of text
Mmm... Why?
Hover text / more detail for items in the options menu to explain what they do
Nice idea. I will work on it.
Folder watch - ability to auto-add a given folder's root EXE files on the fly so you can import in a live manner whatever has changed in your PortableApps WPP menu files. That way you can keep using their App Store system without having to add new items to the menu.
ASuite hasn't a predefined list (with predefined categories) as PortableApps menu and so ASuite can simply auto-add new exe in list, but user must move new exe item in proper category.
Skin/Face Selection - Right now the left click = classic, right click = graphic, and seems a little odd. I'd probably recommend giving the user the option to choose the window type they like, whether static, classic, or graphical. The double-click for static window is great.
You can do it already. In Options->Trayicon you can set an action (no action, show window, show graphic menu or show classic menu) when you left click, right click or middle click (this is bugged and it doesn't work in version 2.0Beta, but I fixed it in development version) ASuite trayicon.
I've been having problems with the directory scan tool on both Win7x64 and x86
Which problems?
Unfortunately it's important that you add data in from the same relative location.
Mmm... I must work on it.

correosdelbosque

#162 Post by correosdelbosque »

I love the beta one is more potent and not just look in the file but also in the whole hard drive. thanks for this improvement I like Asuite even more than before

webfork

#163 Post by webfork »

I wrote up something on this a while back but evidently I've lost that so I finally just did a rewrite ...
El Salvador wrote:
Increase size of text
Mmm... Why?
At least on my system it was radically smaller than the rest of the application.
El Salvador wrote:
Folder watch
ASuite hasn't a predefined list (with predefined categories) as PortableApps menu and so ASuite can simply auto-add new exe in list, but user must move new exe item in proper category.
Makes sense. I was less thinking about a categories question and more of a live update that automatically picks up or drops programs based on their presence or disappearance from a given directory.
El Salvador wrote:
Skin/Face Selection
You can do it already. In Options->Trayicon
I know it can be modified, I was thinking of a prompt at first run to get the menu type of their preference and just use that.
El Salvador wrote:
Which problems?
I'll go ahead and post the bug here but please let me know if it belongs elsewhere:

Setup: Win7x64

1. Download 7z version of the 2.0 beta (asuite_x64.7z)
2. Scan a directory for executable files and wait for it to finish
3. Explore those directories and then try to move the folder

Defect: get two error msgs "Canvas does not allow" and "Out of system resources". Had to end-task the Asuite.exe program.

Attempted workaround: I tried the 32 bit version but got an error "You haven't select any folder!" after checking a folder with lots of applications. Edit: tested a Win7x86 machine and got the same error: http://i.imgur.com/fhAVFTf.png

El Salvador

#164 Post by El Salvador »

webfork wrote:I wrote up something on this a while back but evidently I've lost that so I finally just did a rewrite ...
El Salvador wrote:
Increase size of text
Mmm... Why?
At least on my system it was radically smaller than the rest of the application.
Can you make me a screenshot? On my system, text is properly sized.
webfork wrote:
El Salvador wrote:
Folder watch
Makes sense. I was less thinking about a categories question and more of a live update that automatically picks up or drops programs based on their presence or disappearance from a given directory.
It is a nice idea, but my dream for ASuite is to add a Portable Software store (see Ubuntu Software center et similia) in it. Naturally with install/update software features (and maybe support PApps' software).
webfork wrote:
El Salvador wrote:
Skin/Face Selection
You can do it already. In Options->Trayicon
I know it can be modified, I was thinking of a prompt at first run to get the menu type of their preference and just use that.
First run wizard (as eMule http://blog.myplanets.org/guide/guida_e ... wizard.jpg)? I can do it. :)
webfork wrote:
El Salvador wrote:
Which problems?
I'll go ahead and post the bug here but please let me know if it belongs elsewhere:

Defect: get two error msgs "Canvas does not allow" and "Out of system resources". Had to end-task the Asuite.exe program.

Attempted workaround: I tried the 32 bit version but got an error "You haven't select any folder!" after checking a folder with lots of applications. Edit: tested a Win7x86 machine and got the same error: Image
I'm testing on it. I found a bug when the tool scan %program_files% ("The specified path was not found"), but it isn't the same bug who you found. I will continue test.

El Salvador

#165 Post by El Salvador »

webfork wrote:
El Salvador wrote:
Which problems?

Attempted workaround: I tried the 32 bit version but got an error "You haven't select any folder!" after checking a folder with lots of applications. Edit: tested a Win7x86 machine and got the same error: Image
I'm just commit a fix for these errors in github (https://github.com/salvadorbs/Asuite/issues/35). Thank you very much. :D