Alternatives to Google search

Any other tech-related topics
SYSTEM

Re: Alternatives to Google search

#106 Post by SYSTEM »

On the contrary, I find I need to use Google quite rarely (maybe one or two times a week).
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#107 Post by guinness »

I like DDG for the "goodies" they provide, but when it comes to non-English related results google still trumps them in that department.

webfork

#108 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:
joby_toss wrote:I find it very hard to stay away from Google. And it saddens me... There are results I need from searches, that only Google gives me. Too bad it gives me a lot of other crap at the same time.
Ditto...
I much prefer DDG for tracking down simple stuff or official sites, but beyond that Google seems to have consistently better results. Seeing others were having this issue, I went looking back through this thread and tested out Privatelee (combines Google and Bing I think). Evidently Qrobe (https://qrobe.it/) is the same as Privatelee and since parts of it seemed to not work, I've been using Qrobe. So far so good, although I'd obviously prefer DDG as I feel like they're actively improving things where Qrobe seems like just a front-end.

m^(2)

#109 Post by m^(2) »

webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:
joby_toss wrote:I find it very hard to stay away from Google. And it saddens me... There are results I need from searches, that only Google gives me. Too bad it gives me a lot of other crap at the same time.
Ditto...
I much prefer DDG for tracking down simple stuff or official sites, but beyond that Google seems to have consistently better results. Seeing others were having this issue, I went looking back through this thread and tested out Privatelee (combines Google and Bing I think). Evidently Qrobe (https://qrobe.it/) is the same as Privatelee and since parts of it seemed to not work, I've been using Qrobe. So far so good, although I'd obviously prefer DDG as I feel like they're actively improving things where Qrobe seems like just a front-end.
I try to keep my name hard to find and every a couple of years check how does it work. I did it recently and was shocked but how badly I did. 8th result was related to me. Many others, from multiple activities, some that I forgot about long ago. Bad, bad, bad. That was ddg...Then I tried google. Nothing on the 1st page. Phew. Nothing on the second. Phew. The 1st result was on 24th.
Bing: 4 pages of results in total, none relevant.
Yahoo (bing engine, but probably tweaked differently): 9th page IIRC.

Overall, the results were very different:
* On ddg there was a lot about myself
* On google mostly an actor, some things about a hair dresser, few different ones
* On Yahoo various people listings: linkedin, genealogy, 123people, etc. Info about an USA scientist, several other Americans (though the name is distinctively polish)

Why's that? I have a few hypotheses:
* SEO concentrating on google and messing it up
* ranking algorithms weighting too heavily on popular content
* Yahoo was clearly concentrated on USA
* just happened randomly

Anyway, it doesn't prove anything, but I find it interesting.

ajfudge

#110 Post by ajfudge »

I like DDG. It 's minimalistic and I never have to scroll down further to find what I need.
I also like DDG's "bangs". Very handy. (I submitted portablefreeware.com to be listed as a bang; apparently, it hasn't been approved yet).

SYSTEM

#111 Post by SYSTEM »

The DuckDuckGo community has started a DuckDuckGo browser project.

https://duck.co/topic/duckduckgo-browser
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#112 Post by guinness »

No idea why.

I am Baas

#113 Post by I am Baas »

I am Baas wrote:Another one I use is blekko
I like Blekko's redesign:
2013-06-08_085041.jpg

joby_toss

#114 Post by joby_toss »

'Been using Bing exclusively for the last 4 month and I can say now that I'm happy with it. I'm at the point where I can do fine without Google. I'm very grateful to Google for their contribution to search engines development, but I don't like the direction it has now.

bzl333

#115 Post by bzl333 »

i thought this search engine was kind of interesting:

http://www.millionshort.com/

it will remove from top 10k to top million sites from the results i guess to eliminate all that SEO stuff.

re google they are getting more involved with left-leaning politics including producing some much hyped internet data mining system (i think it was) and they will only allow democrat party to purchase the results or info. this is what happens when companies get too powerful. probably they also pay off party in power to avoid taxes and fines as well (microsoft too i would guess). anybody doubts that google may engage in slanting search results to favor their ideology? i don't. so i use ixquick, startpage etc. mostly i dont use the internet as much as i used to because of all the tracking and spying on average users.

webfork

#116 Post by webfork »

bzl333 wrote:anybody doubts that google may engage in slanting search results to favor their ideology? i don't.
I couldn't find the article that described this, but my understanding is that they are allowed to skew links according to commercial and probably ideological reasons because they are not the only search engine it's not like a public utility where you don't have a choice where your service comes from.
bzl333 wrote:pay off party in power to avoid taxes and fines as well (microsoft too i would guess)
Generally speaking most corporate groups lobby both parties for tax breaks (this was the best link I could find on that). In the US, quite a few Fortune 500 companies paid little or no taxes. I was amused to see so many members of congress falling over themselves to give Apple love after they sheltered 44 Billion.

Toxteth O'Grady

#117 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote:http://www.etools.ch is a meta-search engine with a good privacy policy.

Under "preferences" you can select which search engines should be used. Some of you seem to prefer Google: simple enable it, disable the rest... (although you might get some German\Swiss results mixed in) another "safe" method of using Google. :wink:

New – 7/12/2013
Search encrypted by using HTTPS.

Ruby

#118 Post by Ruby »

Marrie

#119 Post by Marrie »

Ni. Nos do I install Tor, son I CAN install DuckDuckGo? Tanks for ur help. marrie

webfork

#120 Post by webfork »

Marrie wrote:Ni. Nos do I install Tor, son I CAN install DuckDuckGo? Tanks for ur help. marrie
I have no idea what this means.