JauntePE Alpha 0.2.0 is available to play around

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
crownixx

JauntePE Alpha 0.2.0 is available to play around

#1 Post by crownixx »

mybe others dont notice so i made new topic. any bugs report or question can be post here
redllar wrote:A download for trying out the "fake drive/encryption" plugin is now available here (~360KB). Unzip with directory expansion to get a JauntePE020 directory. Make sure not to mix this stuff up with any other JPE stuff.

I pre-made 3 fake drives for you - J:, K:, and L:, one for each currently supported encryption method. You'll need to manually edit JauntePE_jauntePE.ini to change the drive letters if they're already in use, but I've given this some thought and think I have a work around. The fake drive's contents are currently stored in Filesystems->jpeCrypto->J, etc. if you want to first try and open the supplied readmes to see what the encrypted contents look like.

You'll only have launchpad usage so start JauntePE and try the included notepad entry to see if the drives show up when going to File->Open->My Computer. If they do, then browse to one and open up its readme.txt and you should be able to read the text.

A bug I'm still researching is if you do a File->Save As to create a new file. You'll need to create the file first by 1) right-clicking within the folder window, 2) selecting New->Text Document, and 3) naming it. Then select it, click Save, and click Yes to replace it. Just clicking on Save won't do anything.

If all of the above works then maybe try some apps you're interested in using the plugin with. After you add the launchpad icon you'll need to select the plugin from the icon's Properties->Executables->Plugins list. You don't have to select the jauntePE plugin if you don't need registry and/or file system redirection and only want the "fake drive/encryption" capabilities of the crypto plugin.

So far I've used this plugin with several text editors and a couple of different image file viewers/editors. I haven't completely reworked the encryption used on the L: drive, so it's the most likely to fail to encrypt/decrypt properly. The other 2 encryption methods have been working fine but they're pretty simple in terms of strength and would only be useable for low security files.

That's it for now. It's all still very rudimentary but I thought you might want a taste. Don't store anything you don't want seen on these drives as each drive's encryption pass phrase is currently stored in JauntePE_jauntePE.ini. I will be changing that to something more robust. Probably a separate app you run once to log into with a pass phrase that's not stored anywhere. It'll act as a "fake drive" server, allowing mounts, dismounts, etc.
i made some mirror to save some redllar's bandwith

mirror download 370 kb

Code: Select all

http://mihd.net/63bodu
http://rapidshare.com/files/39738863/JauntePE020.zip.html
Last edited by crownixx on Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crownixx

#2 Post by crownixx »

i made some testing and here's the result

1. If i edit the existing txt file

I open readme.txt in drive J > delete all it's content > and wrote something > then i go to File > Save As > rename to readme2.txt > click save

and the JauntePE Notepad dont want to save readme2.txt. Same problem occurs in drive k and drive l

that was one problem..then i click cancel (continue from above situation) > the JauntePE Notepad ask me to save the edited readme.txt > and i click yes

then i reopen it again in the JauntePE Notepad, the old content is still there + the new text that i writing before

2. If I create new txt files

Open JauntePE Notepad > write some text > file > save as >i name it to "newname.txt" > save

still problem occur, the JauntePE wont save the new files

but if i replace the existing readme.txt (continue from above situation), ie
name it to "readme.txt" > save > JauntePE Notepad warn me the file already exists and asked confirmation to replace > click yes

then i reopen it again with JauntePE Notepad, the txt file is OK.. I get the text that i wrote before

and some question in the new JauntePE Alpha 0.2.0
1. where is the "Build Portable" button ? :p
2. new JauntePE Launchpad added "Group" feature. If i create a Group and i go inside it, how to come out to the main Launchpad again?

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

redllar wrote: A bug I'm still researching is if you do a File->Save As to create a new file. You'll need to create the file first by 1) right-clicking within the folder window, 2) selecting New->Text Document, and 3) naming it. Then select it, click Save, and click Yes to replace it. Just clicking on Save won't do anything.
Mebey? :P

and i think this was more a trial of the plugin stuff,
but if not,
he's right, all the buttons on the left are gone, O_o

redllar

#4 Post by redllar »

As Firewrath rightly indicated, the 020 version is just a plugin play thing for now. It's not a public release (that will come from Andrew) and I'm not expecting any feedback and probably won't have time to act on it anyway.

Also noted by me in my post, which you apparently did not read past the first paragraph :) (this is why app devs hate documenting, it's a pita and nobody bothers to read it anyway),
You'll only have launchpad usage
I stripped out the buttons and the build wizard because they're being reworked. I would have stripped out the new stuff for the launchpad as well but I forgot about it.

So my advice is to just play with the fake drive plugin, anything else that's new that you muck with you do so at your own peril, and see if it's something that would be useful to you down the road. Mainly because if you want to use the 020 version you'll have some conversion work ahead since you'll need to rebuild the portable launchers.

crownixx

#5 Post by crownixx »

i finish my JPE AutoWizard v2.0, it is not a simulation keystrokes anymore and it works using JauntePE commandline.
and it fails to run in JauntePE v0.2.0.
i guess the JauntePE v0.2.0 does not support commandline anymore?

redllar

#6 Post by redllar »

the 020 version is just a plugin play thing for now