Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Marc

Resilio Sync (P2P Device Sync; formerly BitTorrent Sync)

#1 Post by Marc »

Bittorrent Sync is a new file synchronization software for local area networks and remote servers based on the popular Bittorrent protocol that was announced a week ago. The program is not publicly available yet and interested users can sign up to participate in an alpha test.

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/02/01/bittor ... -internet/

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-laun ... ve-130125/

I'd be very interesting to see how it does compare in terms of performance to for example RSync, or if delta copy/differential copy could be used in peer-to-peer/BitTorrent Sync software. Has anyone signed and taked a glance at it in the alpha test?

Marc

Re: BitTorrent Sync, what are your thoughts?

#2 Post by Marc »

My apologies this post should have gone in Chit-chat, can a moderator move it? Or I can delete it and re-post in the appropiate subforum.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Marc wrote:My apologies this post should have gone in Chit-chat, can a moderator move it? Or I can delete it and re-post in the appropiate subforum.
No problem.

My initial reaction is that BitTorrent is a survivable network rather than an efficient one and reliability usually contrasts efficiency. One item is that, although it uses pretty standard encryption, BitTorrent generally uses hashing mechanisms that are probably a little bit overkill for general backups. From my understanding, FTP is probably the most efficient information exchange protocol and, after that, rsync is probably the most efficient way to update minor changes. It's a case of the right tool for the job: is BitTorrent better than existing tools?

That said, we don't have a portable rsync client yet (Duplicati gets close) so maybe BitTorrent will be the best portable method.

Marc

#4 Post by Marc »

Thanks!

Ahh that gives me a new understanding, can't thank enough for that. Also some more material to think about.
Could BitTorrent support differencial copy? Or is like mixing apples and pears?

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Marc wrote:Could BitTorrent support differencial copy? Or is like mixing apples and pears?
I really couldn't say, but that does seem outside the scope of what that protocol was designed to achieve.

Marc

#6 Post by Marc »

When a file changes, does BitTorrent transfer the entire file again, or just the part that's changed?
Files smaller than 4MB are transferred again in their entirety when changes are detected.
Larger files, however, are split into 4MB "chunks" of data, if one chunk changes, but the others don't, only the chunk that's changed will be transferred (instead of the whole file again).
Source: http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/17782 ... nofficial/

Marc

BitTorrent Sync [Alpha]

#7 Post by Marc »

BitTorrent Sync by BitTorrent, Inc is a peer-to-peer file synchronization tool available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote devices over the Internet via secure, distributed P2P technology.

How to make BitTorrent Sync "Portable"
If you wish to make BitTorrent Sync "Portable" so that you can use it on another PC without installing, and run it directly from a USB memory stick, here's how:

1. Save the BitTorrent Sync installer onto your USB memory stick, and run it from that location.
2. When the installer begins, select "Portable Mode" for the Program Location (NOTE: You will only see the "Portable Mode" option if running the installer from a USB memory stick/SD card, etc)
3. BitTorrent Sync will then be installed in "Portable Mode" to your USB memory stick/SD card!

System Requirements:
Mac OS X Snow Leopard or later
Windows XP SP3 (32-bit) or newer (32 and 64-bit)
Linux with kernel 2.6.16 (glibc 2.4) or newer on ARM/PPC/i386/x86_64
You can install our application on Network Attached Storages (NAS) running on Linux with ARM, PowerPC, i386 and x86_64 architecture.
In the future, we plan to also support most popular mobile platforms.
http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Marc wrote:Files smaller than 4MB are transferred again in their entirety when changes are detected.
Interesting ... I guess that makes sense since the protocol seems to have been built for larger files.

Marc

#9 Post by Marc »

Also an interesting read: Why not just use RSync? and I should probably give myself a break with BT :lol:

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Marc wrote:Also an interesting read: Why not just use RSync? and I should probably give myself a break with BT :lol:
At this stage, I havne't been able to find an easy-to-use rsync tool. Duplicati gets close for backup purposes, but right now it seems like you need to be running cygwin and really know what you're doing.

nonobio

#11 Post by nonobio »

Hi,
Does Btsync exist as portable ?

perwhis

BitTorrent Sync

#12 Post by perwhis »

BitTorrent Sync by BitTorrent, Inc is a proprietary peer-to-peer file synchronization tool available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS and BSD. It can sync files between devices on a local network, or between remote devices over the Internet via secure, distributed P2P technology.

This software I use like a replacement for Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive, as it does not have any storage limit. It is also safe, as I don't need to deal with third parties, so I can use it for business sensitive data as well.

Please have a look and vote if you like this software.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2578

I can mention that I have not made a very thorough investigation about if it is stealth and the portability, so I would be glad if any with more knowledge than I could have a look at it.

webfork

Re: BitTorrent Sync

#13 Post by webfork »

perwhis wrote:Please have a look and vote if you like this software.
This has been mentioned previously. Will merge this with both threads.

That said, thanks for posting an entry. I liked the instruction you wrote up for the extract. I think I'll start using that in entries instead of the verbiage I've been using.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

perwhis wrote:Please have a look and vote if you like this software.
This has been mentioned previously. Will merge this with both threads.

That said, thanks for posting an entry. I also liked the instruction you wrote up for the extract. I think I'll start using that in entries instead of the verbiage I've been using.
perwhis wrote:I can mention that I have not made a very thorough investigation about if it is stealth and the portability, so I would be glad if any with more knowledge than I could have a look at it.
I might try checking it out. The privacy and power of a distributed sync program like this versus existing cloud services is much too good to pass up. Where did you see that "settings.dat" trick?

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

Cool. Tested (briefly), works as expected. Entry updated (forum topic), and voted. :)