Kana Reminder + Notifu Combo

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Marc

Kana Reminder + Notifu Combo

#1 Post by Marc »

Kana Reminder is a program which can be used to set a reminder to be triggered at a specified time. It can also be used to run another program at a specified time.

Can be set to remind on hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or annually basis.
Can be set to run a program when the reminder time is triggered.
Has built in shutdown, reboot, and log off routine to be used to schedule a shutdown, reboot, or log off.
If a file associates with a program, the Kana Reminder can be use to launch that file. For example, you can specify a WinAMP playlist file. When the reminder time is triggered, because the file associates with WinAMP, it will run WinAMP and play the songs on the list.
Can be set to remind again within specified time.
Can run automatically with Windows.
The triggered reminder window can be set to pop up automatically, and to auto dismiss within specified time interval.
The triggered reminder window can be set to always on top.
The reminder data can be secured by giving a password.
Can be activated using hotkey.
Configurable reminder sound.
The reminder sound can be repeated.
Can use PC speaker.
Context sensitive help file.
Simple user interface.
Kana Reminder places an icon on Windows notification area (the area next to the clock). When Windows’ Explorer crashes, all icons on that area usually disappear. Kana Reminder can place back its icon on the area when the crash occurs.
Can temporarily disable a reminder data.
http://www.kanasolution.com/products/ka ... -features/

Main Window

I had been looking for months for a reminder I would actually use. Usually they were way too limited or way too intrusive. So basically I had been looking for a feature rich (with recursive and in advance reminders) rather than simple reminder but that at the same time was able to pull unobstrusive reminders in the notification area. Kana Reminder comes with an option to run external applications when a reminder is due. So I set up custom messages in the notification area with another App, Notifu.
Notifu, a free open source pop-up balloon utility
Notifu is a tool that displays a yellow pop-up balloon in the system notification area, better known as the tray. It is free and open source, give it a try!

Download Link http://www.paralint.com/projects/notifu ... fu-1.6.zip

And... First Submission!! True is there are many apps I haven't seen in portablefreeware or that had been submitted after some time, but the main reason I haven't submitted them is that most of the times I barely check/confirm or throughly check their portability. For example these ones look* portable (Kana Reminder features a setup and zip download, has an ini file in the app folder most likely in order to store its settings, unlikely that any of the both applications require drivers, but Kana isn't stealth). Most of the times I just download the app, scan it with VT, try it out and keep a list with the home page and download link of each app for adding them later to Ketarin. This time I made an exception since is a functionality that I had been looking for quite a time and hopefully may be of use for some else.

btw It wouldn't be a bad idea if PF featured the database collection in a ready to download Ketarin setup (along with a launcher perhaps).
(I know ketarin has .NET requiremente as well as not beign stealth) no license hassless as it happened to Webfork, since all the applications may be downloaded from the authors website. The real difficult lays in adding all the applicatrions links to Ketarin and maintaining them. But if everyone contributes things could move rather fast and another added advantage is that it would be even easier and faster perhaps to report updates of the applications in the database. IIRC Ketarin can even be used to retrieve the changelogs, but that's kind of overkill :) Templates can be created as well that can speed things up. I would exclude however applications listed under PortableApps or other popular portables Suites, with automatic update support. When Webfork created the Sink-Kitchen Suite as an user I was able to explore all the applications way more faster and efforthlessly than I'd have as things are.
Sorry for going off-topic, perhaps this post should be splitted?

Bests,
Marc

--
Expecting a myriad of corrections...

Marc

Re: Kana Reminder + Notifu Combo

#2 Post by Marc »

I apologize for the awful grammar Mess & Co, I was kind of overkilled at the time, which got in the way of my english grammar skills and everything.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Marc wrote:btw It wouldn't be a bad idea if PF featured the database collection in a ready to download Ketarin setup
I'd like that, too (very much). :mrgreen:

Ketarin is splendid in the way it interacts with Filehippo.com and I have secretly wished more software repositories would go that way...

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about DDownloads were given their own thread.]