Latest SARDU bundled with Adware ???

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

Re: Latest SARDU bundled with Adware ???

#16 Post by guinness »

I am Baas wrote:@guinness

There are reports around the Web about Betterinstaller being malicious.
OK, I will look into it.

I am Baas

#17 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:
I am Baas wrote:@guinness

There are reports around the Web about Betterinstaller being malicious.
OK, I will look into it.
Good. Here is a good place to start... http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/21394-betterinstaller-com

lbaty

#18 Post by lbaty »

I am Baas wrote:Extract the contents of SARDU_1 file with 7-zip, delete bi.exe, repackage it (7-zippit) and put the SARDU_1 file (no extension) back in the application folder. Tested only once to make sure SARDU will run and have no plans to spend anymore time on it. Good luck.
Thanks I am Baas, I will give this a try.

jxf011

a

#19 Post by jxf011 »

a
Last edited by jxf011 on Mon May 27, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

One thing that's changed for me over the course of my time here on PFW is that I no longer think that guy Marxio (who deleted his project because he wasn't getting enough donations) was completely unreasonable. The lack of financial assistance for people giving away something for free by the people who can afford to pay is just not something that's happening. The "gift economy" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy (which is a real thing) doesn't appear to function in freeware.

Further, I understand seeing thousands or millions of downloads and then getting no donations would feel like a slight. I know from talking to many devs that donations are uncommon.

For my part, I only occasionally donate to projects both because I'm not financially stable but also because I feel like this site is advertising their work and drawing more users. However, if that doesn't really translate into actual donations, then I'm clearly not doing them any favors.

As such, I'd very much like to help developers more actively solicit donations without having to stop providing freeware or insert ad/spyware. Might spend some time in the months ahead trying to come up with some methods if anyone's interested.

I think we're really lucky SYSTEM opted out http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 377#p61377 of using adware in addition to his program, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to go that route.

I am Baas

#21 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:One thing that's changed for me over the course of my time here on PFW is that I no longer think that guy Marxio (who deleted his project because he wasn't getting enough donations) was completely unreasonable. The lack of financial assistance for people giving away something for free by the people who can afford to pay is just not something that's happening. The "gift economy" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy (which is a real thing) doesn't appear to function in freeware.

Further, I understand seeing thousands or millions of downloads and then getting no donations would feel like a slight. I know from talking to many devs that donations are uncommon.

For my part, I only occasionally donate to projects both because I'm not financially stable but also because I feel like this site is advertising their work and drawing more users. However, if that doesn't really translate into actual donations, then I'm clearly not doing them any favors.

As such, I'd very much like to help developers more actively solicit donations without having to stop providing freeware or insert ad/spyware. Might spend some time in the months ahead trying to come up with some methods if anyone's interested.

I think we're really lucky SYSTEM opted out http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 377#p61377 of using adware in addition to his program, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against him if he decided to go that route.
Two different issues here, none justifies the use of sneaky tactics to earn $/compensate for the lack of donations.

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Two different issues here, none justifies the use of sneaky tactics to earn $/compensate for the lack of donations.
I was trying to say something larger about the issue of freeware projects getting dumped in order to make money, but you're right. As Midas said:
Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:No warning, no request for user permission... I stoped it right then and there.
Yikes! That is a utterly unacceptable.
Anyway, I was to do this over, I would rewrite it a bit and put it in SYSTEM's thread.