New site crashes IE7

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
rodger123

New site crashes IE7

#1 Post by rodger123 »

Hi Yall
sorry to complain but in the past week or so whenever I go to the portable freeware site IE7 locks up(does not respond) it never did this before-I use xp and cant install IE8 as I tried once and it did not work at all,I have all my extensions turned off so just wondering if anone else has seen this behavior?When the browser does not respond if I close it,then reopen it the site works fine??

I cant use firefox as I have limited ram and it does not work so good,I actually do yuse it on occasion and you site opens fine in that browser-I hate chrome and its derivatives so....any help wuld be cool.
Thanks Guys
Rod

webfork

Re: New site crashes IE7

#2 Post by webfork »

rodger123 wrote:I cant use firefox as I have limited ram and it does not work so good
There's a trick to cap ram usage: http://www.lifespy.com/2007/firefox-qui ... ram-usage/
rodger123 wrote:IE7 locks up(does not respond)
Assuming that this is an IE 7 issue (I can't verify) then according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_explorer.asp we are currently excluding 1.2% of the web.

Sidenote: pleased to see IE 6 is down to 0.3% usage. Good riddance.

rodger123

#3 Post by rodger123 »

Hey I found the solution-I just removed the bookmark from my bookmark toolbar and from my favorites and now the site loads! I have to do a google search but I dont mind,strange huh!
Rod
Oh webfork thanks for that link I will give it a shot.....

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

Strange solution, glad you found it out :)

carbonize

#5 Post by carbonize »

Sounds like possibly the issue is when IE7 is checking the site for updates which IE is set to do automatically if memory serves.

rodger123

#6 Post by rodger123 »

well at least I solved it!
Rod

rodger123

#7 Post by rodger123 »

same problem again-locks up my browser then if I close it and reopen it it does not crash!Thought I had the promlem fixed,oh well I guess I will have
to use firefox once in a while to check your site-maybe santa will give me more ram for xmas!

lautrepay

#8 Post by lautrepay »

rodger123 wrote:same problem again-locks up my browser then if I close it and reopen it it does not crash!Thought I had the promlem fixed,oh well I guess I will have
to use firefox once in a while to check your site-maybe santa will give me more ram for xmas!
Why don't you give GreenBrowser a try? It uses the Internet Explorer engine with low resources consumption and a lot of useful features.

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

How much installed RAM do you have exactly?

rodger123

#10 Post by rodger123 »

Actually I am using avant browser and I have 512megs of ram,tried greenbrowser and dont like it,avant does not use that much ram.

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

OK, that answers my question. Thanks.

What about Opera Mini PC Edition?

rodger123

#12 Post by rodger123 »

I think that needs java which I dont have or want but thanks,I will live with it and use firefox.