Please change the NEW and UPDATED markers

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
Craunch

Please change the NEW and UPDATED markers

#1 Post by Craunch »

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this, but there is one thing about the site that I find extremely annoying. The NEW and UPDATED markers on programs remain, even after several years, with no time limit.

Consider the 4 programs in the bookmarks category. Two are flagged as NEW: they were both new in 2007, surely they are not new any more. The other two are flagged as UPDATED: one was updated in 2011, the other in 2007. If there is a new update to either of these I presume that the UPDATED flag will remain unchanged which would seem to defeat the purpose of the flag.

Apart from this annoyance, I like the new look - clean and open - nice work tproli.

tproli

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#2 Post by tproli »

I perfectly agree. This was discussed several times but there is no agreement so far. Apart from functional disorder I find those tags visually distracting. A time limit would definitely help (some weeks or perhaps a month).

Craunch

#3 Post by Craunch »

Here is my suggestion for improving the NEW/UPDATED tags.

The way the flags currently work is not helpful, so delete both.
There is already a side-panel listing updates so the UPDATE marker is not needed.
Add a similar side-panel listing new software and the NEW marker will not be needed.

Timeouts will not be needed as the new/updated software will eventually fall of the bottom of each side-panel.

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

I see your points but there are lists where those tags can be useful. E.g. when you search, or listing a category, etc.

Suggestion:
How about display the change history in a reversed order, that is, last change info on top?

Craunch

#5 Post by Craunch »

I think there are 3 things here.

1. the NEW and UPDATED markers that appear next to the software name and version on the main software view. These appear to be unnecessary to me particularly if they don't expire.

2. tags for NEW and UPDATED in the database that can be used to assist searches. This would seem to be of limited use if these tags do not expire over time. Could the search instead include looking for software added or updated since a user specified date instead of looking for the NEW & UPDATED tags? (I haven't used search very much so it might already do this - I'm just not familiar enough with the search facility here).

3. the change history. Displaying this with the most recent change on top would be a good idea. The latest change information would then appear immediately instead of needing to scroll to the bottom of a possibly long list of changes. (See FOOBAR2000 change history for example).

Andrew Lee

Re: Please change the NEW and UPDATED markers

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

tproli wrote:How about display the change history in a reversed order, that is, last change info on top?
Done! I think that's a reasonable change given how long some of the changelogs have become.

SYSTEM

#7 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote:
tproli wrote:How about display the change history in a reversed order, that is, last change info on top?
Done! I think that's a reasonable change given how long some of the changelogs have become.
The change caused a bad regression. Now it looks like if e.g. the update of Advanced Onion Router on September 6 changed the version number from v0.3.0.12b to v0.3.0.11.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/changelog.php?id=1958
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Craunch

#8 Post by Craunch »

In a post that hasn't been moved here from the "New designs for TPFC by tproli" thread, Midas suggested that the NEW tag should last for 3 months and the UPDATED for 1. Those durations sound about right so far as I am concerned too.

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

The change caused a bad regression. Now it looks like if e.g. the update of Advanced Onion Router on September 6 changed the version number from v0.3.0.12b to v0.3.0.11.
Fixed! Sorry about that.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

In a post that hasn't been moved here from the "New designs for TPFC by tproli" thread, Midas suggested that the NEW tag should last for 3 months and the UPDATED for 1. Those durations sound about right so far as I am concerned too.
Done. This is based on the date when the version number is last updated, so you'd have to look into the changelog to find out. The update date displayed with each entry is the one that is changed for all updates, not just version numbers.

Craunch

#11 Post by Craunch »

That sounds like exactly what was needed.

Thank you Andrew. The Craunch is now a happy Craunch :D

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Great! 8)