WinRAR SFX question

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
ignign0kt

WinRAR SFX question

#1 Post by ignign0kt »

I've been using SFX archives to make my portable apps, but one problem remains. It extracts to a temporary folder, and the files remain there after I'm done using the program. After looking through the SFX options, I don't see a way to delete temp files after ending the program. Is there other software that I can use similar to SFX, but removes files it writes to any temp directory?

Rarst

#2 Post by Rarst »

Hm... winrar totally can do what you want, but I can't point exact location cause my WinRAR has russian interface...

SFX properties, button that calls additional properties there (with around six tabs) and look for something like "extract to temporary folder" option.

If this is checked SFX ignores target directory for extracting and creates one in system temporary folder instead (you can even run few sfx-es - it creates separate folder for each one properly). There are some other options that should be checked, my "sfx script" for portables looks like (btw I think you can simply put this into archive comments and it should work... not sure):

Code: Select all

Setup=SpaceMonger.exe
TempMode
Silent=1
Overwrite=2
Setup= exe file to run after unpacking (and when that file is closed it is considered program end and directory is deleted).

Temp mode means above - unpacking to temp folder.
Silent - mean sfx won't ask anything, it will just silently unpack and run exe.
Overwrite=2 - when unpacking overwrites any existing files without asking, I am messing with these SFX-es a lot so sometimes I have some junk left in temp.