JauntePE vs. X-Launcher

Discuss anything related to JauntePE, the utlimate utility to help you tame non-portable applications. Share your experience about the apps that work with JauntePE, and the apps that don't.
pipetman

JauntePE vs. X-Launcher

#1 Post by pipetman »

Hi,

Have been using portable software for a while, but now would like to go a step further and make some of my commercial apps (e.g. NeatImage, Photomatix, etc.) portable too.

While looking for a tool to accomplish this, I came across JauntePE, but I wasn't able to download it. Whenever I try to use the dl-link on this website I get the following error message: "Daily download quota exceeded. Please try again tomorrow".

Looking further, I found X-Launcher on the WinPenPack website. Loks like an awsome tool (stable application and not pre-alpha), only drawback is, that it's in italian and there doesn't seem to be an english manual.

Has anyone here experience with X-Launcher? And where can I download JauntePE?

Thanks -p

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have sent you a copy of JauntePE via email.

pipetman

#3 Post by pipetman »

Thanks! Very much appreciated.

Great site btw. Regards - p

Gary

#4 Post by Gary »

By the way, Photomatix is an exquisite HDR application!

sgp

Re: JauntePE vs. X-Launcher

#5 Post by sgp »

pipetman wrote: Has anyone here experience with X-Launcher?
No experience but you're right, judging from the number of downloads from the winpenpack site X-launcher seems very stable. I managed to find a tutorial on their site, and from what I can understand X-launcher is more like the Portable Application Launcher http://portableapps.com/node/6924. It modifies the real registry, unlike JauntePE which can redirect a program to its own mini-registry. There are advantages to both methods, both tools are useful.

pipetman

#6 Post by pipetman »

Interesting...Did you find an English tutorial for X-Launcher or could you read the Italian one? I was also following your link to PAL - is it actually the case, that portable apps built with these launchers write to the registry and upon program exit remove these entries (not sure, if I understood that correctly)?

crownixx

#7 Post by crownixx »

you can translate the winpenpack website to english using google. at least i can read the tutorial there and i know the x-laucher "have 3 types of variable that can be defined" (just an example).

Then it is best practise to learn through example. download the maximum package and look how they configure the *ini file for each software. that is exactly what i do and currently have a little knowledge about x-laucher :D
..,unlike JauntePE which can redirect a program to its own mini-registry
is this mean that JauntePE behave the same as U3?
Let say i wrap a software to be portable and it using Hkey Local Machine. this portable wrap can run well in previllage environment but definitely fail in Guest environment (registry restriction). Can JauntePE mini-registry solve this problem?

sgp

#8 Post by sgp »

pipetman wrote:Interesting...Did you find an English tutorial for X-Launcher
No, I used an on-line translation engine.
is it actually the case, that portable apps built with these launchers write to the registry and upon program exit remove these entries?
Yes.

sgp

#9 Post by sgp »

crownixx wrote:is this mean that JauntePE behave the same as U3?
Let say i wrap a software to be portable and it using Hkey Local Machine. this portable wrap can run well in previllage environment but definitely fail in Guest environment (registry restriction). Can JauntePE mini-registry solve this problem?
I don't know U3. I'm new to JauntePE, so I don't know what to answer. But I downloaded it and made a couple of applications portable. It's easy and you can definitely see the mini-registry (a .reg file) being created and used instead of the main registry. I guess this way you could bypass lack of priviledges, but a JauntPE expert should jump in at this point of the conversation.

pipetman

#10 Post by pipetman »

Having stuff written into the registry - albeit temporarily- makes me a little uneasy. What if the software crashes? Then I have some junk cluttering up the registry and it's not very stealthy either.

Nonetheless, thanks for all the pointers how to figure out X-Launcher.

I tried JauntePE on few application by now and although it always crashes at the end, I produced a few portable files. These run fine, but any sort of file operation (e.g. opening a "load file" window, let alone actually navigating to the desired file) within those applications takes unbearably long. Is that a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?

squashsquash

Would like to try too...

#11 Post by squashsquash »

I am a newbie to making apps portable.

I am looking for a way to make apps portable that does not require admin privelages, and does not write the the registry then delete the entries. From reading this forum, it looks like JauntePE might be "just the ticket." Do I have that right?

I am having the same problem as pipetman: I try to use the dl-link on this website I get the following error message: "Daily download quota exceeded. Please try again tomorrow". I sure would like to try it out.

Thanks for the help.

crownixx

#12 Post by crownixx »

here you are JauntePE

download

Code: Select all

http://mihd.net/e27pmk
to modders, i will delete the download link if my action sharing the link is wrong in this forum..

squashsquash

Many Thanks!

#13 Post by squashsquash »

Many thanks for the link, crownixx!

Firewrath

#14 Post by Firewrath »

pipetman wrote: I tried JauntePE on few application by now and although it always crashes at the end, I produced a few portable files. These run fine, but any sort of file operation (e.g. opening a "load file" window, let alone actually navigating to the desired file) within those applications takes unbearably long. Is that a known issue? Am I doing something wrong?
well, one thing,
if its taking a long time to do anything in the program,
do you have the 'keep in memory' button 'on' when you make a program?

that might speed things up,

Otherwise, i dont know why itd be doing that,
it could be anything from low RAM/CPU to just that option being off,

if your trying to run it in anything earlier then XP, that could also have something to do with it,

and as for it crashing when your finished running it,
i never heard of it doing that before,
do you get an error msg or log anywhere that says why or what it was trying to do?

And, to sgp, and anyone else wondering, :P
i honestly dont know if JPE allows you to bypass privileges for guest accounts,

but as a Guess, im going to say, i Think it would,
since portable JPE programs (if setup to do so,) write to their own registry file and only need to read from the main one,

but mind, thats only a guess, :P

pipetman

#15 Post by pipetman »

I have the 'keep in memory' button ' on and low RAM/CPU is probably not an issue.

I run it on Win2k, though - maybe that's causing the problems. I'll give it a try on XP and see, if that makes a difference.