New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
tproli

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#241 Post by tproli »

Currently I'm experimenting with adding a slight subtle texture to the background (see the test site). The previous white reminded me kind of a "hospital" or "medicine" but perhaps it's just me. If you look at the Add/Edit entry pages the input fields stand out more nicely.

Anyway, I think it adds a nice feel but you decide.

Please vote :)

tproli

#242 Post by tproli »

How about changing the default application icon this or this?

Andrew Lee

#243 Post by Andrew Lee »

When adding an entry, you can browse for an image but the preview is only visible if you submit the form.
I see. Preview box removed if image is not available.
And once you have added an icon or a screenshot (or edit an existing entry) I see no way to remove the image. The question is whether this feature is needed.
Yup, this is currently not supported 'cos there doesn't seem to be a widespread need for it.
"Screenshot must be a GIF file...". Is this still valid? I could upload a jpg and could see it in the preview. If not, these texts should be updated (for Icon & Screenshot fields).
Wordings updated to included BMP. GIF, PNG and JPG.
Currently I'm experimenting with adding a slight subtle texture to the background (see the test site). The previous white reminded me kind of a "hospital" or "medicine" but perhaps it's just me. If you look at the Add/Edit entry pages the input fields stand out more nicely.
Nice! The edit fields do stand out more with the new texture.

Andrew Lee

#244 Post by Andrew Lee »

How about changing the default application icon this or this?
I prefer the current one 'cos that's what Windows display when an EXE does not have an icon.

With other icons, they might be mistaken for the application icon itself!

tproli

#245 Post by tproli »

Thanks for the updates!

BMP might not be a good candidate for screenshots as they can be very big in size. JPG, PNG and GIF would suffice.

WebP would be great but its general support is not wide enough.

Andrew Lee

#246 Post by Andrew Lee »

BMP might not be a good candidate for screenshots as they can be very big in size. JPG, PNG and GIF would suffice.
All non-GIF formats are actually converted at the backend to GIF, so the only cost is the extra bandwidth required to upload the BMP file.

tproli

#247 Post by tproli »

I see.

Made all links in the preview entry box to open in new window. This prevents accidental navigation off the edit/add pages. At least I think so. They don't have the default triangle indicator as other external links.

spicydog

#248 Post by spicydog »

I was thinking that an interesting option would be to add a button to request a mail notification on a specific comments section.

What I mean is that after posting your comment about a specific application you might want to follow up on that comment and that is currently not possible** unless you manually go and check periodically the comments section of that specific app... That is, if you remember to do so ;)

**(should I be misinformed and there is another way to automate that, please let me know)

IMHO a "Subscribe to comment" button would be a very useful addition... After all when adding a comment the member is logged on, so in principle the subscription could work just as when posting on a forum thread, right?

Thanks again to tproli and Andrew for their efforts and to all other members who are actively supporting this project with their creative input :mrgreen:

tproli

#249 Post by tproli »

You can subscribe to the RSS feed of an entry's comments:

http://test.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1193

Scroll down to the comments part and there is an orange RSS icon on "42 comments on Sumatra PDF".

spicydog

#250 Post by spicydog »

tproli wrote:You can subscribe to the RSS feed of an entry's comments:

http://test.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1193

Scroll down to the comments part and there is an orange RSS icon on "42 comments on Sumatra PDF".
Thanks tproli,

But what I meant is that I would like to receive an email notification just like I get now if some new comments are posted on a forum thread to which I subscribed... Subscribing to the RSS feed does not seem to produce the same effect... Unless I am doing something wrong.

BTW, if I click the link (http://test.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1193) I see a huge "Authorization Required" it appears that I do not qualify to access to that area :(

tproli

#251 Post by tproli »

http://test.portablefreeware.com/
UN/PW: tpfc/tpfc

Yes, RSS is different from email but you can try using some service to read updates in your mailbox (never tried such). See for example

http://lifehacker.com/123370/rss-on-email

I guess implementing such a system on tpfc would not be easy.

SYSTEM

#252 Post by SYSTEM »

A very minor issue: the W3C validator gives a warning on the edit page.
Line 567, Column 13: reference to non-existent ID "screenshotfile"
<label for=" s creenshotfile">Screenshot
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

spicydog

#253 Post by spicydog »

tproli wrote:http://test.portablefreeware.com/
UN/PW: tpfc/tpfc

Yes, RSS is different from email but you can try using some service to read updates in your mailbox (never tried such). See for example http://lifehacker.com/123370/rss-on-email
Thanks for the UN/PW... I must have missed that detail, which was surely mentioned on previous posts.

BTW, excellent progress on the design!

Subscribing to RSS feed is not really appealing to me... I did that in the past on a couple of blogs and I am still suffering from unsolicited s.p.a.m. (Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages).
tproli wrote:I guess implementing such a system on tpfc would not be easy.
Really? I thought that it could be easily achieved by replicating the protocol followed in the regular forum threads... This is the part where I should admit that I know more about building spaceships than webpages :mrgreen:

Andrew, any thought on that? (not about the spaceships, lol)

tproli

#254 Post by tproli »

Line 567, Column 13: reference to non-existent ID "screenshotfile"
Nice find, I did look for the green color in the validator and missing the warning :) The input should also have "screenshotfile" ID instead of "screenshot".

There's also a similar problem with the "Force update" checkbox, submitted to Andrew yesterday. And a more serious one with the license info, it doesn't appear anywhere on the new site. Interesting that nobody has spotted that so far (or perhaps it's only me who doesn't see them?). I guess it's only a typo somewhere.
I should admit that I know more about building spaceships
PM sent!
(just kidding)

tproli

#255 Post by tproli »

I removed the tooltip on the stars (under the application icon). I felt it too harsh and overlapped with the icon. Now the info appears in place with some css transition (using a modern browser).