Disk Catalog Tools

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Darkbee

Disk Catalog Tools

#1 Post by Darkbee »

On occasion, I like to use a disk catalog tool. I've primarily been using Cathy but I notice that it is on the "denied" list since it writes entries to the registry.

Can anyone suggest a portable alternative with comparable functionality?

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

Catfish states that no install is needed and from what I can tell that seems to be true.

However, the interface seems a little dated and the search capabilities aren't as friendly as they could be. I would prefer to be presented with a list of files that meet my criteria, rather than be presented with a list of all files, with the matching files highlighted.

Next please...!

XPect

#3 Post by XPect »

I'm actually trying Visual CD http://boozet.xepher.net/
I can't confirm yet that's it's fully portable, but after copying some of the DLL it seem to work well. Take a look at it, it's a good catalog software with fast and advanced search capabilities.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

I have posted CatFish to the database anyway. It is small and light. Someone might find it useful, despite the misgivings in the user interface.

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

Visual CD seems to rely on ActiveX controls installed during setup (eg. VISCDDTP.OCX). It will still run, but will start hitting errors when you perform certain operations that has dependencies on these ActiveX controls.

juzam

#6 Post by juzam »

there's also DiscLib
http://www.lyrasoftware.com/modules/new ... orytopic=2

i tested it briefly, the only drawback is that it doesn't use relative paths for a some txt files used for configuration (favorite folders, etc.); those paths however can be quickly edited in the options tab if needed.

here's the link for the .zip version
http://www.lyrasoftware.com/disclib/dow ... l_v2.0.zip

BigD

DiscLib good, but ...

#7 Post by BigD »

DiscLib seems very good with a lot of functionality.

Unfortunately, it added 312 entries to my registry at HKCU, and I can't see a way of writing its settings to an .ini file instead.

Darkbee

Re: DiscLib good, but ...

#8 Post by Darkbee »

BigD wrote:DiscLib seems very good with a lot of functionality.

Unfortunately, it added 312 entries to my registry at HKCU, and I can't see a way of writing its settings to an .ini file instead.
I concur, it seems as if it uses a lot of potentially temporary registry entries (since I can only assume that they are working entries... surely no program on earth should need that many registry entries at any one time!)

Also, I don't know if it was my computer (which has since suffer a permanent failure) but compared to most other programs I tried DiscLib was painfully slow, taking well over five minutes to catalog 1.6GBs worth of information, where other programs like Cathy managed the same task in under 15 seconds.

I have a couple of my own suggestions that I'll get around to posting in the submissions forums as soon as I can.