CSV Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Yucca

CSV Editor

#1 Post by Yucca »

CSVEd is an editor for comma-separated-values (csv) files, such as those used in spreadsheets and databases.

It can be used to create or edit datafiles without the overhead of a full spreadsheet or database management program.

It does not appear to write to the registry or apps directory and can be copied to any directory without installation.

It is available from: http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm as "cardware." I guess that qualifies it as a version of freeware.

Yucca

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Are you sure it doesn't write settings to the registry? I looked at it last year and found that it does.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/nonportable.php

(Search for "CSVEd")
Last edited by Andrew Lee on Wed May 10, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

rndwalker

CSVed

#3 Post by rndwalker »

There is a "without installers" zip file that appears to be completely portable at http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

Yucca

#4 Post by Yucca »

I used the no-install zip version and edited a file with CSVed yesterday.

I just checked my registry and found a few keys that seem innocent. It does show that the software is installed and it does have an OpenWith entry. It does not, however, show any indication of which files I have opened or edited with CSVed. (They might have been in recently opened files, but my security system erases those entries on shutdown every day.)

In the strictest sense, this does write to the registry -- but no more so than many other programs in the database.

If the registry entries are a problem to anyone, they can be avoided (at least wrapped locally) by using the Registry Rapper program at http://www.portasoft.org/e107/download.php?list.6 .

Yucca

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

For example, if you configure the listview with your favorite colors and sizes, or you enable/disable case sensitivity in column sort, or you enable double quotes when saving CSV files...

All these options are saved to the registry and not carried over to another machine.

So until someone comes up with Portable CSVed...

AlephX

#6 Post by AlephX »

Yes, I would like that this application become portable. It´s really useful as it solves a lot of broblems to create and to modify csv files.

NewKreation

CSVed - now portable

#7 Post by NewKreation »

It is my great pleasure :D to announce that CSVed is now portable!!!

new in version (1.4)

added: portable mode;
added: increment in add column;
added: template in import fixed file;
added: editor print;
improved: cell editing;
improved: column search;

Steps:
1. Open CSVed
2. Select Tools - Portable from the file menu. A "csved.ini" file is created in the executable directory.

Download:
http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

AlephX

#8 Post by AlephX »

This is a great new, NK!
:D

CSVEd is really a wonderful tool for anyone who deals with .csv files... I have used it very long and I will go on (I guess)

If you have a log (or a similar text) and you would like to file it in a spreadsheet or in a database, CSVED is a must! (P.S.: I declarethat I am not paied by the author and I am not member of his family...)

I can´t check if it is portable, but I have seen that it generates a .ini file

_pini.dat

Code: Select all

[Options]
Portable=0
I changed the value portable=1

and the generated two files:
csved.dat
csved.ini

... I can´t use regshot... but I guess that it work as portable...

Still THANK YOU, NK

selepo

Unicode

#9 Post by selepo »

Will unicode version also be available as portable ?

AlephX

Re: Unicode

#10 Post by AlephX »

selepo wrote:Will unicode version also be available as portable ?
I tried if it works... I have already csved installed... so I run regshot and I saw that it writes few settings into the registry, :( but maybe it can be accepted as portable.

:arrow: The remarkable thing is that when I left _pini.dat (with the parameter executable=1) in the folder, then unicsved.exe wrote both .ini and .dat files in the application folder (otherwise only the .ini file)

If Andrew, Fluffy and Darkbee accept these applications as portable, I would suggest to publish as different apps, as the author, Sam Francke from Holland, maintains them like that...

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! I have posted both CSVed and uniCSVed to the database.

My experiment with uniCSVed seems to indicate that it is portable by default without the need for any additional files in the app folder.

AlephX

#12 Post by AlephX »

Hi Andrew!
Thanks for having posted it to the Database!

AlephX

CSVED 1.4.1

#13 Post by AlephX »

new in version (1.4.1)

added: small changes;

http://csved.sjfrancke.nl/index.html

AlephX

CSVED 1.4.2

#14 Post by AlephX »

Ingvarfa

Destinator 6

#15 Post by Ingvarfa »

I will change .csv to .dat to get POI direct to Pocket pc.

Export DAT ??