FoodFile

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Kranor

FoodFile

#1 Post by Kranor »

A database of common foods and their nutritional values handy for dieting or diabetes control

http://www.foodfileonline.com/

use universal extractor on the setup file then open the {app} folder and run by clicking foodfile.exe

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

Added to database, thanks!

Hank7

#3 Post by Hank7 »

Leaves settings on the host PC (userdata).

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

Hi, Hank7!

I am using regshot and don´t see modifications, even if I can realize that the window position is saved...

So I checked with Filemonitor (old version but portable) and I relly found a folder Kelpiesoft Food File in the user´s setting folder. I tried to overcome the problem, but the app newly writes its settings there.

I have to ask Andrew to delete the app from the database!

Thanks! :)

AlephX

#5 Post by AlephX »

BTW... My regshot was set to read modifications in User´s folders. Now I added a lower folder in Settings folder and it works... I find it a bit strange... :shock: but it works...

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Deleted and added to reject list.

AlephX

#7 Post by AlephX »

:cry: sniff! sniff!

I liked it (even if I started to feel guilty about all what I like to eat...) 8)

Kranor

#8 Post by Kranor »

ooops sorry abou that alephx just checked my reg checker and found a similar problem to you, found the folders ....Bu$$er.... I liked it too.

Kranor

#9 Post by Kranor »

Liked this prog so much that I tried it on Jaunt PE. JPE gets rid of all the little niggles quite nicely. I agree for most users do not put it in the database by for those who want it and can use JPE it works fine.

Have fun

willm

Food File

#10 Post by willm »

Hi Folks,

I have a Google Alert that tells me whenever my software is mentioned, and it directed me here this morning. I'm glad you like Food File! But whats the dealio with 'portable software'? Is that software that uses a single installation folder? I can see the attraction. I hate the way Windows software can put files everywhere, and I personally prefer to keep all dependancies for my apps in a single folder. Persistant user data is a different matter. Microsoft tells us to put all user data in a specific location and not in the installation folder. In fact, in future Windows it may not even be possible to write to files in the installation folder!

Regardless, how about in a future version of Food File, I put a checkbox that says 'store user data in program files' that makes Food File write all user data below the exe?

Regards,

Will McGugan
--
http://www.willmcgugan.com

AlephX

#11 Post by AlephX »

Hi Will!

TPFC people really appreciate when authors start to discuss about their creations with users and moderators.

I really like it! :D

I understand that MS gives out certain guidelines for programmers, but it is universally clear that the most of them are not aimed to let the users save money or computer (speed, resources, diskspace)... But this is nothing concerning this site...

What is portability then? Well, in this context, it means that you can transport and use your software and data where you want, using different machines as host... It´s almost an antisystem approach.

...and it is also the oldest programming tecnique: the most of old DOS programs are portable. This is the reason why the console apps are not in the database... too many... and not very easy to use, too...

"Portable" means that the applications stores its settings and data in logical places (folders) which can be easily moved away from the host and saved where the user decides.
The centralized way, by which MS asks to define the Data, is useful only for administrators, but not for the users´mind... and finally it´s a war between privacy ("I get my data where I want") and security ("you, dear user, put the data where I can control it, possibling having the way to let you pay for that")

So, I enjoy when a programmer, like Will McGugan, decides not only to create a freeware useful program, but also to let it "travel" with the final users!

8) Aleph
Last edited by AlephX on Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

nt_support

#12 Post by nt_support »

This would be great Will. I look forward to a portable version.

BTW, portable apps are perfect for users that run apps off a USB memory stick for work, libraries, or school or (like me) want a single folder of apps that can be manually copied to multiple machines in the house. It's much easier keeping things up to date this way instead of add/remove and programmatic updates all the time.

Thanks

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

Regardless, how about in a future version of Food File, I put a checkbox that says 'store user data in program files' that makes Food File write all user data below the exe?
A common technique that quite a number of portable apps use is to make that setting write a file to the same folder as the EXE eg. foodfile.ini. The presense of that file tells the app to write settings to the EXE file.

The great thing about this technique is that I can create the file manually myself i.e. foodfile.ini and the app will automatically do The Right Thing.

AlephX

#14 Post by AlephX »

Hi!
There is a new release of Food File, 1.0.5

Unfortunately it still write settings in the user folder...

I tried to move the initialization files and folders to the application folder, but it did not work.

I really would like that Kelpiesoft Food File became portable!