Paintstar - image editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Fluffy

Paintstar - image editor

#1 Post by Fluffy »

[Moderator note: this is the official thread for the Paintstar database entry.]

---

http://wang.zhenzhou.googlepages.com/

GIMP-ish image editor, without the ugly and slow GTK. Writes settings to [app folder]\data\user.cfg, there was one registry action caught by RegShot, but I'm not sure quite what it means or if it affects portability. (Download from Freewarefiles or the second mirror!) I used Universal Extractor to get the files out of the setup package contained in the zip.

lamer

#2 Post by lamer »

Great, thanks :D

Darkbee

#3 Post by Darkbee »

I emailed the author of the program because I had a few questions, and thought that it was a good opportunity to confirm portability. He confirmed that the standard install, copy, uninstall procedure would enable PaintStar to be run from any drive.

(I suspect that the registry entry/s observed in RegShot were set by the operating system denoting file associations or something like that)

This is a really great image editor and one that I have ear-marked to replace my non-portable editor of choice, namely Serif PhotoPlus, since PaintStar has all the comparable features I need like multiple image format support, layers, multiple undo, combined with all the standard editing tools (custom brushes, airbush, fill, line, eraser, various shape selections etc etc).

As per the status quo:

Synopsis: PaintStar is a versatile digital image processing software suitable for such tasks as retouching of photographs, composing and authoring images, image morphing, screen capture, and displaying image thumbnail in Windows Explorer context menu. It supports alpha, layer, path ,and the most common editing techniques. PaintStar has many of the tools and filters you would expect to find in commercial offerings, and some interesting extras as well.

Writes settings to: .\data\user.cfg

How to extract: Unzip the setup file, Use Universal Extractor to extract application and data files from setup file and save to a location of your choice. Make sure the "data" folder is a subfolder of your chosen location. Double click on PaintStar.exe to run.

License: Freeware

System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 95, 98, Me, NT 4.0, 2000, or XP.

Download: http://wang.zhenzhou.googlepages.com/paintstar.zip

Fluffy

#4 Post by Fluffy »

Thanks for providing all the information I left out, Darkbee :oops:

BigD

Thanks for finding out about this gem

#5 Post by BigD »

This program was just what I was looking for - small and portable, but with many useful features. It's not that I don't like The Gimp, it's just that this is so much neater and cleaner, doing most of what I need.
Thanks for finding it!

Darkbee

#6 Post by Darkbee »

Fluffy wrote:Thanks for providing all the information I left out, Darkbee :oops:
Well, it was more prompted by Andrew's subtle hint in another post that the more comprehensive posts get submitted into the database faster because they are easier to verify.

Don't feel bad, I've been lazy in some of my suggestions and barely written any useful information! :roll:

Andrew Lee

#7 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks guys! I have posted PaintStar to the database.

Darkbee

#8 Post by Darkbee »

See what I mean! ;)

cmmehl

#9 Post by cmmehl »

I have trouble to download the zip - their server doesn't allow "resume", and in each of my five attempts the download was broken shortly after half :-(

Could someone maybe host this temporarily on a server with resume. or alternatively mail me zip? cmmehl@[no_spam]gmail.com (take out the brackets with their text).

Would highly appreciate it!

Cheers
Chris

cmmehl

#10 Post by cmmehl »

* push push *

Really nobody is ready to mail me this prog?

P L E A S E :-)

Chris

Darkbee

#11 Post by Darkbee »

I've temporarily uploaded it to my freebie website. apparently, you can't do direct downloads with geocities so I've provided a download on the following webpage:

PaintStar mirror

Click on the green check mark on the far right of the page to download the file.

cmmehl

#12 Post by cmmehl »

Thanks darkbee - I finally got it!

Cheers
Chris

Drutt

#13 Post by Drutt »

Portable PaintStar 2.70 version available (since July 27th, 2007):
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... Star.shtml

No need to install/uninstall :D

..apologies, meant to be in Update forum... :roll: