Cameyo App Library

Share interesting information or links related to portable apps here.
Midas

Cameyo App Library

#1 Post by Midas »

Cameyo has been mentioned a couple of times here at TPFC's forum, but after it reached 2.0 it has grown a rather sizable library of portabilized programs...

Browse freely at http://online.cameyo.com/library.aspx

cameyo

Re: Cameyo App Library

#2 Post by cameyo »

Hi,

Thanks for mentioning Cameyo.
I'd also like to mention that the next version (after 2.0) will not pre-extract temporary app files on disk. It will allow running apps entirely from memory (this was also mentioned here before).
As always, feedback is appreciated.

Cameyoco

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Hi, Cameyoco.

Nice to know of that upcoming feature for Cameyo, which I'm sure will please the more 'stealth' conscious members of our community; I'm also certain feedback will ensue...

Thanks for your work and generosity towards all Netizens.

copc

#4 Post by copc »

It would be nice to include compression.
dexpot.cameyo.exe is 6.6 Mb
My dexpot.exe is only 2.9 Mb

cameyo

#5 Post by cameyo »

There's already compression. But indeed it is not efficient on small files, as Cameyo needs to include its own loader, virtualization DLLs etc.
You will start seeing the (good) difference on larger programs.

Cheers

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

@cameyo: is Cameyo only able to create self contained exe applications? The virtualization process is limited to that?
I tested the "isolated" version of AAA Logo and the settings were written in Roaming\VOS folder and left behind and also in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VOS.

What exactly is the relation between Cameyo and portable softwares?

And do you have an answer to my old question... Did all those security companies (Avast, AVG etc.) really allow you to modify and repackage their AntiVirus softwares, for example?

-.-

#7 Post by -.- »

I'm also wondering about whether you just made the software without asking as well, namely because this has happened in past with vmware packages and such

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: Slashdot article on Enterprise installers -- mentions Cameyo in comments:
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/12 ... installers

joby_toss

#9 Post by joby_toss »

This is a continuation of my post here.

Example: Portable Skype v6.2.106 downloaded from Cameyo's website today, 2013.03.16.
Skype's license: http://www.skype.com/en/legal/tou/#4 NO modifying and NO redistribution! That's why Portableapps version includes a downloader!

I downloaded 4 packages from Cameyo's website:

1. default download: MD5 8a7aac3deb13748073308d97519d8083
2. data mode download: MD5 fec6e6baa31c9688dec0f86e4ed1f0db
3. isolated mode download: MD5 cfd4bde5c9dbfe59e1b0012bdc1ae651
4. full access mode download: MD5 d3d02e9d96d26e750fa04c296b038fa6

I tested them directly on my system! No Sandboxie! No virtual machine!
All of them include Skype!
All of them are not portable! They save settings under AppData\Roaming\VOS\Skype and in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VOS\Skype!

How the fuck are these packages legal and portable, Cameyo?! How?!

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:How the fuck are these packages legal and portable, Cameyo?! How?!
I would pull a muscle trying to put together a scenario where Microsoft would give out a license for this behavior, so I'm going to just say it's not.

Unlike some of the other programs with non-compliant license distribution discussed here on the site, Microsoft is VERY litigious, basically runs the BSA, and Skype is something Microsoft has already spent billions on. They are very capable of handling this on their own so I'm not exactly upset. On the other hand, if you want to make the point that Cameyo is likely to ignore other licenses and that's not okay, I'm with you.

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:On the other hand, if you want to make the point that Cameyo is likely to ignore other licenses and that's not okay, I'm with you.
Yeah, that...

One last thing and I'm done: there are some 30 days trial apps packaged and distributed by Cameyo. Every 30 days you can delete the settings and continue using them. "They are legit, 'cause they don't give you cracks or serials! :roll: " Legal, right?

Note: I have nothing against Cameyo! I am not affiliated with any software company! It just sickens me how some guys waste their programming talent and go this route.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:All of them are not portable! They save settings under AppData\Roaming\VOS\[App] and in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VOS\[App]!
This is what really cooled my enthusiasm for Cameyo, making it look just like another Thinstall wannabe... :(

Napiophelios

#13 Post by Napiophelios »

Midas wrote:
joby_toss wrote:All of them are not portable! They save settings under AppData\Roaming\VOS\[App] and in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VOS\[App]!
This is what really cooled my enthusiasm for Cameyo, making it look just like another Thinstall wannabe... :(
Yeah but ThinApp actually works (sandboxing)
This app just redirects an installer to its own locations and reg keys
I think its more of an InstallRite wannabe.

JauntePE is proly the only real virtualization software that will ever be freeware.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

I'm always trying to get some idea of how people come to portable software nowadays so I keep my eyes open for articles on the topic. The most recent instance by a reasonably large group was from TechRadar's look at Cameyo. The focus of the article is on the simple wrapper program they're offering.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/turn-an ... ith-cameyo