Pocket Radio Player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lautrepay

Pocket Radio Player

#1 Post by lautrepay »

Pocket Radio Player is a free Shoutcast compatible internet radio player for Linux, Mac and Windows platforms. Unlike the many other players out there, this software concentrates on offering basic functionality in a compact package.

Main features
Multilingual cross-platform application
Portable with no installation required
Skinable and highly customizable
Excellent audio quality and performance via FMOD
Imbedded station editor
Built-in station updater

Download: http://193.218.154.87/~knot/prp/prp_win32.zip

License: Freeware

freakazoid

Re: Pocket Radio Player #290612

#2 Post by freakazoid »

I like the simple UI. Reminds me of Evil Player:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=974

A couple of caveats:
- can't play AAC streams
- compressed archive size of the program is 9.1MB
is it stealth? ;)

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

freakazoid wrote:compressed archive size of the program is 9.1MB
That's the "stations" folder. It's over 8 MB in size (uncompressed). The Pocket Radio Player folder is 929 KB in size.

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

My biggest problem was to add stations.
I couldn't find the imbedded editor described in the F.A.Q. section.
I had to extract and manually edit a prp file, compress again and rename to add a few ones. Impractical.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

lautrepay wrote:My biggest problem was to add stations.
I couldn't find the imbedded editor described in the F.A.Q. section.
I had to extract and manually edit a prp file, compress again and rename to add a few ones. Impractical.
Did you actually read the FAQ or just looked at the screenshot?
•Save the playlist file you want to add to your HDD.
•Drag & drop the playlist file (such as *.pls, *.m3u, *.asx) onto the PRP window. The editor will show up. If the file itself is broken completely (not vaild), it's going to be ignored.
•Edit your station settings. Read the tooltips for each field to get more infomations. They should be self-explanatory.
•When you're done: hit the save button. You'll be connected to the newly created station by default.

donald

#6 Post by donald »

I like the size of the player.

It comes with 1,217 stations which take up 8.14 MB.

I tried both methods of adding stations.

Unfortunately adding with an m3u file does not allow you to add a specific png for the station.

Adding manually works, and using shoutcast may make that easier.

Having read the instructions I would note that the
Complete list of all genre:
is Blank with no link or list showing in my browser.

Talk Radio is genre # 21.

So to manually add FreeTalkLive you will need to create a text file with the following:
(Station Name) = Free Talk Live
(Station Website) = http://www.freetalklive.com
(Genre #) = 21
(Total Number of Server Stream Addresses) = 1
(Server Stream Address/es) = http://www.freetalklive.com:8000/
Save in a text file labeled station_id.txt (black &blue text only, red is explanatory)

Next save a png or jpg file labled station_ico.png.

Finally save both files to a zip file, and change the extension to .prp (using the name of the station on the file seemed to work fine). Though using the station name on the station_id.txt, and station_ico.png files did not work.

I would prefer to just type in the address of a station and to just select a station_ico.png file rather than packing it myself.

It states on the website that it does not support: WMV, Realmedia and AAC streams.
With mp3 streams supported, but so many popular formats not yet supported I think the current hassel of adding stations with likelihood of failure due to lack of support makes this a pass for me for now.

lautrepay

#7 Post by lautrepay »

I am Baas wrote:Did you actually read the FAQ or just looked at the screenshot?
No, I didn't read the F.A.Q.
When I saw the screenshot I thought that just drag and drop to add a station was a too much simplistic solution and there should be a more complicated method to do that.
So I guessed that those prp files were just zip packages with text files inside, and the edition of those text files would make the program play the stations I wanted.
And it worked. Magically.

Just to be fair with the developer:
My biggest problem ≠ The biggest problem
I couldn't find ≠ It doesn't exist

Grisu

#8 Post by Grisu »

Thanks for trying out this little app.

As the main hosting service of PRP went down, you may grab the latest version from here (#180812 - Phoenix).
This also includes the station "Free Talk Live". Just type in "Free" into the box where you can select the genres and it will bring it up.

@freakazoid:
ACC format isn't supported as the FMod middleware doesn't decode it. This might change in the future.
I might switch to another libary. The issues: This would mean a lot of recoding, the loss of other platforms (Linux, Mac, iOS, Android...) and an decrease in performance (i.e. more cpu load / ram allocation). PRP is open and free. - So please blame the big companies that love to see their closed / licensed formats to be used everywhere.

I doubt a size of 9 MB is really a problem any PC / USB drive today. The station logos are the reason for filesize. As PRP has a modular architecture, you can for instance delete the stations not needed from the "stations" folder or delete the logo files from each station according to your needs.

@lautrepay & donald:
I'm sorry that you didn't find the station editor at first. PRP had a manual in the past. But no one was reading it anyways, so it was dropped. ;)
If you press the "save" button inside from the editor, PRP will create a .prp (.zip) file from the data given. - No need to repack the stuff manually.
For custom station logos: PRP will automatically detect them when placed inside the "creator" folder.

Hope that clarified some aspects. - If you have any futher questions, issues or need assistance please let me know.

freakazoid

#9 Post by freakazoid »

@grisu - Thanks for replying!

You could try using the awesome BASS audio library:
http://www.un4seen.com/bass.html

Supports AAC and a bunch of other formats and is free for non-commercial use. Though, you'd probably have to recode parts of your program like you mentioned.
is it stealth? ;)

Grisu

#10 Post by Grisu »

Thanks for the link. When PRP was started (2008) the Bass library wasn't as advanced as it is today (no Mac support e.g.). Sadly, I couldn't get AAC to play with it so far. - But it might work someday. :)

The missing genre list in the FAQ has been fixed and a new short article about optimising the PRP folder size has been added. You may also download the latest station files (1262) from the homepage directly, with the further option to exclude the logo files.

bzl333

#11 Post by bzl333 »

could i use this from an SD card while running a Live CD?
no dependencies, i think they call it?

if so, this would be a fantastic program. i'm getting tired of all the nonsense by the tracking/profiling companies and one of the few things keeping me from using a Live CD most of the time is not having a little radio player that i can add presets too.

donald

#12 Post by donald »

@Grisu

Thanks for your efforts developing your application Pocket Radio Player.

Some improvements are already apparent.

Grisu

#13 Post by Grisu »

@bzl333:
What do you mean by Live CD? You can run a music CD/DVD and at the same time use PRP from a SD card. I currently play Guild Wars 2 and run it in the background.
There are no dependencies. PRP doesn't create Windows registry entries, places hidden files on your HDD or collects system informations. It also doesn't need a Microsoft Framework to be installed.
I've updated the FAQ with a short article on how to make the PRP folder smaller, which might be helpful.

@donald:
You're welcome.

In the latest build (#02.09.2012) I added a button in the station editor to point to a custom logo file. This file will be automatically copied over to the "creator" folder and used when the new station file is zipped.

bzl333

#14 Post by bzl333 »

Grisu wrote:@bzl333:
What do you mean by Live CD? You can run a music CD/DVD and at the same time use PRP from a SD card. I currently play Guild Wars 2 and run it in the background.
There are no dependencies. PRP doesn't create Windows registry entries, places hidden files on your HDD or collects system informations. It also doesn't need a Microsoft Framework to be installed.
I've updated the FAQ with a short article on how to make the PRP folder smaller, which might be helpful.
thanks for responding Grisu

a Linux Live CD for privacy like TAILS or JonDoFox or even just a regular Ubuntu Live CD so that the snooping and tracking companies (google, doubleclick, facebook, etc)can't compile much or any data on you. When i use linux on my netbook, about 95% of the time i could get by with just a browser, a password manager and a radio app and the only small radio app i know of on Ubuntu is RadioTray and it says it has some dependencies so i think i would have to re-download those every time i started the Live CD.

btw, i get this error pops up when i tried to run it in Ubuntu:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Could not display "/home/___/Desktop/Portable Radio Player/PRP39/PRP". There is no application installed for executable files.
-----------------------------------------------------------

What does that mean? i have only checkered knowledge of Linux. i downloaded from the Mediafire Linux link fwiw, and then copied to Desktop and extracted.

edit: then i checked the box under properties >> permissions for the file, to "allow executing file as a program" and it doesn't do anything. This is in Ubuntu Natty 11.04 fwiw.

lautrepay

#15 Post by lautrepay »

PRP is at v.#291012.
+ added / deleted / replaced radio stations (1356 total)
% Win32: uses Fmod 4.43.07, improved Win8 support
% Win32: Uses latest Compiler: GCC 4.7.2
- fixed: Minimized startup was broken on some systems
Download @ http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/P ... 17675.html

@bzl333:
Are you sure your Live CD has WINE? If not, you won't be able to run Windows executables with it.