Seeking WordPad replacement with live hyperlinking

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
grannyGeek

Seeking WordPad replacement with live hyperlinking

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

Google got me a ton of hits for web editors (HTML/ rich-text editing), but not what I'm looking for. Hard to set keywords for this search . . . .

I have been using Kpad http://www.codeproject.com/wtl/kpad.asp
and it is almost exactly what I want ---
small (only 100 kb), does rich-text formatting, live hyperlinks, tabbed multi-documents.

But it will not accept pasted images like WordPad does.

I'm greedy --- does anyone know of a text editor that has both these sets of features?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PS --- I just stumbled on Qjot on this website, and it will probably do for me. If only it had mult-tabs, I would be ecstatic.

Andrew Lee

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

How about AM Notebook Lite?

Does rich-text formatting, hyperlinks, multi-tabbed interface and a lot more.

teobromina

CryptEdit?

#3 Post by teobromina »

May be you can try CryptEdit

http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/ce/ceditdl.html

It is tabbed, admits images, can encrypt files and it is small: Less than 1 Mb

I made it portable time ago before to know about Uniextract and it still works. At that time I just installed the program, copied the files into a new folder and unistalled the software.

*JT.

cmmehl

#4 Post by cmmehl »

Teo,

have you managed to get the dictionaries portable as well? They appear to be installed somewhere completely else. Didn't try any of the plug-ins yet, have you tried, do they install into the app folder?

Cheers
Chris

teobromina

#5 Post by teobromina »

Dear cmmehl:

I have tested today another way and have to conclude that the core of this program is totally portable:

Just download the following files:

-update41.zip under the link "download Crypt Edit v4.10 patch (build 2222: A)" (it contains CryptEdit.exe, the only really necessary binary, that runs in standalone mode. You do not need to install the first executable program setup.exe which is inside the cedit.zip archive under the link "download Crypt Edit v4.10") 8)
-a help file in your preffered lenguaje (I choosed help_sp.zip because I am Spanish)
-a lenguaje file (I choosed spanish.zip)
-autoscr.zip (plugin to scroll the file automatically)
-hexplus.zip (plugin to edit files in hexadecimal format)

Unzip all the files and put all them in a same folder, and 'voilá' you can start the application by clicking the CryptEdit.exe file or by means of a shorcut.

The other files (dictionaries, etc seem to be prepared to be installed in a predefined location inside the Windows filesystem and I do not know how to make them portable), so I do not use them...

*JT. 8)

cmmehl

#6 Post by cmmehl »

Thanks a lot for your research, hombre :-)

I also did a test with this prog today, running it on a machine without administrative rights. Got plenty of error messages, because quite evidently it writes its settings into the registry, and some of them in areas where non-admins are not supposed to write to :-(

Pity, because otherwise this program is really neat, and faster than for example portable Abiword. This would be a great candidate for some tweaking with Jaunte, nsis or whatever, if it could be done.

Thx anyways for your help and comments!
Chris

calm_observer

#7 Post by calm_observer »

grannyGeek wrote:...does anyone know of a text editor that has both these sets of features?...
nonags has been my favorite freeware site for years. i took a look over there and found this one; jarte. the current version may not be portable, but their beta is.

grannyGeek

#8 Post by grannyGeek »

calm_observer, I tried out Jarte, and it's pretty neat. Nice feature set. Very *fun* non-standard interface.
When I went to use it on a different pc, it complained about missing SSCE5132.dll, but I dropped that into the app directory, and it's working just fine now.
Side note - installer wouldn't work after I tried to unpack it with UniversalExtractor, so I just ran the original installer and copied the app to another directory, then un-installed the original.

It seems to write registry entries for only MRU, MUI, and the like, but I have to learn more about tracking the registry to know for sure.

Andrew Lee, thanks for suggestion for AM-notebook. I plan to check it out just as soon as I learn how to use InnoUnp so I can follow the installation instructions in the database here. (my education keeps on, almost under its own volition!!!)

Thanks for the suggestions!

granny

AlephX

#9 Post by AlephX »

Tried Jarte Portable 3.0 Beta (zip)...

It does not write settings in the registry, but...
----------------------------------
Files deleted:1
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\tmp.edb

Files [attributes?] modified:4
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.chk
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\edb.log
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG
anyway it seems to work

Not fully RTF compatible, as the most of these apps which does not see the footnotes...

I would like such an app!!! Apart from Open Office...

grannyGeek

#10 Post by grannyGeek »

@ Andrew Lee, I did finally try AM-notebook, and have a couple questions (I left them also on the comments section of AM-notebook database entry)
Each time I open the app, get message "You are on day xx of 30-day trial."
Their website doesn't mention a trial period for the supposedly "free" download.
I attempted to register on their support forum, but never received a confirmation email to activate the account.

So, just wondering if anyone knows if this app will lock down completely when the 30 days is up?

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

I posted a comment in reply to your question.

Basically, you need to update nbcommon.ini accordingly so that "AM-Notebook Lite" shows up in the title bar when you start the app.

Then you will be using the "lite' version and there will be no reminder message.

grannyGeek

#12 Post by grannyGeek »

Andrew Lee, Thank you for responding to my self-inflicted problem.

Yup, I figured out over the weekend that I had a typo in my ini file which caused the problem.
:oops:

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
(don't know who said that, but the shoe fits me!)

I am finding this to be a very handy tool to keep notes and links in, even though free version can't save out to external documents. So thank you for providing it.

grannyGeek

#13 Post by grannyGeek »

So far, CryptEdit is winning my heart for its combination of size, ease-of-use, and features that I use the most. Not 100% on the features, but the trade-off is acceptable.
I found I had to drop riched30.dll into the app folder, or else I only get plain text formatting.

I think it is writing to the registry, though.
There is no ini file, and when I opened it on this computer, toolbars that I had "customized" on my other computer were back to their factory-fresh default setup.

calm_observer

#14 Post by calm_observer »

grannyGeek wrote:...I think it is writing to the registry...
i downloaded a copy & installed it. it sure does :wink:

anyway, granny this might help you out a bit:

first close CryptEdit if it is running, and open notepad (notepad will work best for what we are about to do) and enter the following:

Code: Select all

regedit /e CryptEdit.reg HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PolySoft
now save this in your CryptEdit folder as "saveSettings.bat"

next execute (double click) the file you just saved and the file 'CryptEdit.reg' with your current setting will appear in the CryptEdit's folder.

now open 'CryptEdit.reg' in notepad and scroll down to the following:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\PolySoft\Crypt Edit\Associations]
"PRT"="1"
"RTF"="1"
"TXT"="0"
"ASCII"="0"
"HTML"="0"
"DOC"="0"
"ContextMenu"="0"
change all entries set to 1 to 0 and save the file. for example:

"PRT"="0"
this will reduce some of the trash being thrown out the car window while traveling down the road. almost done.

now create a new .bat file with the following:

regedit /s CryptEdit.reg
save this in your CryptEdit folder as 'installSettings.bat'

run 'saveSettings.bat' to save new settings.
run 'installSettings.bat' to install CryptEdit's last saved settings on a computer.

grannyGeek

#15 Post by grannyGeek »

Cool beans!

This sounds like a trick that might work for other apps as well, do you think?

I'm off to go search out some info about bat file "scripting", seems like you can use them for all sorts of things.

Thank you.