Portable Apps size

Any other tech-related topics

What is the combined size of all the portable programs your portable drive?

32MB or less
8%
Between 33MB and 64MB
8%
Between 65MB and 128MB
No votes
Between 129MB and 256MB
8%
Between 257MB and 512MB
19%
513MB or greater
58%

Total votes: 26

Darkbee

Portable Apps size

#1 Post by Darkbee »

Just out of my own curiousity I thought I'd create another poll. Note that I'm interested in the size of all the portable programs that you have on your drive not the capacity of the drive itself.

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

My portable applications folder totals to 4 GB. Yes, I am a gamer. :P Actually it's more like 3, since Future Pinball isn't fully portable and there are a LOT of tables I've downloaded. I have a 512 MB thumb but I just use that mostly to back up my personal files.

Darkbee

#3 Post by Darkbee »

People should certainly feel free to post the uses of their drives, I'm interested to know the uses people have for their drives. I use a portable hard drive (taken from an expired laptop). It's only 10GB but I find that it is more than adequate to carry my documents and portable apps. (and a few games 8) )

It actuality, I use the drive to syncronize my portable apps between home and college. I usually create two partitions on each computer's hard drive with one for the OS and one for the apps (naturally there are some apps that are not portable and so I install those on the same partition as the OS). I've had Windows fail on me too many times to keep re-installing EVERY last app that I use, so the idea of portable apps is appealing to me because in the event of a Windows failure I don't have to install all my apps again; they're up and running as soon as the OS is. Naturally, I have the added bonus of the fact that if I use another computer (other than those I use regularly) then I also have all my apps available, configured just the way I like them. Nice!

I also have a 128MB Sony Memory stick that I use for temporarily storing and transferring files between computers, but I have found since I've had the portable HD that I'm not really needing to use the memory stick so much (that plus I use the portable app, HFS, to transfer my files over the LAN).

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just checked. I have about 5.7GB worth of apps!

Jez.. didn't realize I have accumulated so much stuff. There are very few games. It's 99% utilities and apps. I think I only use about 10 ~ 15 on a daily basis, including Firefox and Thunderbird, PhotoFiltre, OpenOffice, GreatNews, PowerMenu etc.

I have a 20GB USB HDD. My entire life is in there, including documents, songs, photos, video clips etc. I use it between my office and home desktops. I backup the content to the HDD on my home desktop using robocopy, just in case.

Don't see the need for a USB stick. I used to have a 1GB one, but it's just too slow for my taste. I dumped that shortly, bought the 20GB HDD and never looked back. Sure, the form factor is a little bigger, but I don't need to wear it round my neck! :D

gp_hbk

#5 Post by gp_hbk »

I've got a Zion Ultradisk Pro 128 MB USB Stick.
I use Opera Portable,Portable Gaim,Notepad++,PowerMenu,KeePass Password Safe,MPUI+Mplayer,μTorrent,Process Explorer,FoxitReader,Portable ClamWin,HFS,Portable 7-zip,TimeSync and of course PStart. I used to use Pocket K-Meleon,but switched to Opera Portable because of the greater number of features,smaller size and higher stability.
This comes to about 58 MB. The rest is music,pictures and my dad's documents.

Fluffy

#6 Post by Fluffy »

Andrew Lee wrote:Just checked. I have about 5.7GB worth of apps!

Jez.. didn't realize I have accumulated so much stuff. There are very few games.
BLASPHEMY! :P

teobromina

#7 Post by teobromina »

1/ ROMSOFT.- I have 2 Gb of freeware apps identified and tried as 'portable' in terms of ability to run in another disc without installation, part of them comming from the TPFC links. This concept is slightly different to the one used in TPFC to judge the portability of an application. I am focusing more in the capacity to run a program in different computers than in assure that the program does not writtes to the registry. On the other hand I am interested in programs which can run from a CDRom (I told them ROMSOft) for its ability to keep untouched and preserved themselves from infections, etc.

To this 2 Gb of 'single' apps I have to add OpenOffice and some other collections produced by someone else. My collection is allways divided into 5 different groups related to tasks they can perform:
-EDIT (documents edition)
-IMAGE (bitmaps or vectorial edition)
-PIM (including agenda, contacts, calculators, databases, encryption, browsers)
-PLAY (stream watching and editing, games, educational, simulators)
-SYSTEM (utilities to tunning, editing and mounting ISOs, checking, recovering).

2/ BONSAI.- I maintain a smaller selection of 300 Gb from ROMSoft, the most efficient apps in terms of powerfull utility related to small size, which is a subset of the big collection that I name 'BONSAI'. This is the size I have voted in the poll.

For dayly use I see that I need just 60 Gb out of BONSAI (about 40 apps).

*JT. 8)

Zach Thibeau

Well

#8 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well I have over 5 gigs of portable apps (Most of which I've designed for portableappsworld.com) and I also carry apps from portableapps.com and only have 2 1 gig sticks so I rotate them on a daily basis

relequestual

#9 Post by relequestual »

yeh, i have about 150 sommin mb of portable apps that i use, or that i have installed on my usb
i have a 2gb usb, and its really small n nice n green and i like it! =D
i got rid of the open office, coz ive neva used it! i made a portable version of dvd shrink, which will come in handy when ppl need it.
i have a usb neck strap, which i added my mp3 player onto.
annoyingly the click sometimes, so i put ma usb in my zip coin pocket.

portable apps is turning me into an even bigger computer geek than i was b4. hooray for universal extractor!

firefox all the way!

and does any1 see the point in thunderbirds when i use hotmail anyway?

ive started making a website, but i shant say wot its called untill its ready to be uploaded.

i cant remember wot i was gunna say when i started this post now, but oh well.
anyone reply to me?

maxworks

2.46Gb

#10 Post by maxworks »

hmmmm.... i must be a PA junky... my 8Gb USB stick has 2.46Gb on my PAC3 folder (3,615 folders and 31,981 files!)... that doesn't include my documents!

spaztastic

#11 Post by spaztastic »

There is a program that can be used to compress programs so that they still run, take up less space and run faster when executed from slow media, such as a USB Drive. The program is called PortableApps.com App Compressor. It hasn't been officially released yet but you can download the development version.

Download PortableApps.com App Compressor 1.0 Pre-Release 1

Local

#12 Post by Local »

There is a program that can be used to compress programs so that they still run, take up less space and run faster when executed from slow media, such as a USB Drive. The program is called PortableApps.com App Compressor.
And I thought it was called UPX, I guess Portableapps have "borrowed" that too now.
I think I like my UPXTool for now

spaztastic

#13 Post by spaztastic »

Same thing but PortableApps repackaged UPX. Use what you want, my post was just informing people of a portable version of UPX

m^(2)

#14 Post by m^(2) »

spaztastic wrote:Same thing but PortableApps repackaged UPX. Use what you want, my post was just informing people of a portable version of UPX
Is there a not portable one? :roll:

Zach Thibeau

Well

#15 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Yes and no, It's just a simple script that allows users to compress their EXE and DLL's they way John Does it and also recompresses ZIP and CAB so it's nothing more than a front end to UPX and also 7-Zip Console edition