SoftMaker Office

Discuss anything related to portable commercial apps here.
Ennovy

Re: Softmaker Office 2008 for free until 31 Dec 2009

#31 Post by Ennovy »

You have another chance to download this excellent software, version 2008, at http://www.loadandhelp.com/

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

I used the 2006 software extensively over the last weekend and was really happy with it. Easily comparable to MS Word.

Will give '08 a try.

Update: has a USB capability post-install much like the free '06 version.

Update 2: Portable as it seems to save files relative to the program location. However, it writes many registry entries to HKLM/Software/Classes/TypeLib and Interface, so its not stealth.

I'm very impressed and pleased with this program. Strongly recommend over OpenOffice and AbiWord for tasks such as handling images + text.

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

mohsin wrote:Can you guys please make a post here when softmaker releases its mobile version of office for free, I really want it bad for my PDA windows mobile 6 phone.
You're better off with http://www.softperfect.com/news/

We use a different definition of "portable" than for mobile devices. Think a USB drive you plug into a computer, not a hand-held. We don't currently cover PDA devices such as Palm, Windows Mobile, or others. Additionally, Microsoft's repeated failures in the mobile device market seem to suggest that even if we did, the iPhone or Android would be approached first, which seem likely to happen in the next 5 years. I've been watching to see who gets WINE or something equivalent, but right now an x86 emulator seems necessary or a move by Intel into mobile processors.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (rewrote a bunch - misunderstood what was asked)

usdcs

#34 Post by usdcs »

Bump! :wink:

I just want to give this topic a bump. I've been a registered user of SoftMaker Office since 2006, and recently purchased the 2010 version through AShampoo. I got a really good deal on it. If you get on the mailing list from each company, you might get a good deal, too!

The 2010 version (Payware) also has support for copying it to a USB stick, and when you do, the dialog says that you, "may now use" the software wherever you go. Nice!

As for the 2008 version, the giveaway also covers the Linux versions. So, I now have it on my Linux box, too.

Don't miss out!

Regards,
Dan

m^(2)

#35 Post by m^(2) »

usdcs wrote: As for the 2008 version, the giveaway also covers the Linux versions. So, I now have it on my Linux box, too.
Which one??
I'd love to have it...

usdcs

#36 Post by usdcs »

m^(2) wrote:Which one??
I'd love to have it...
Which one, what?

If it is what Linix Distro do I run, I run Lucid Puppy 5.1.1and Slitaz 2.0. I've tried SoftMaker Office 2008 on each. I usually run Puppy from a CD, using a USB stick to store my persistent files. I use Slitaz Live CD when I just want to boot a machine quickly, with a minimal OS.

When you click on the SoftMaker link, you are offered your choice of registering for the Windows Version or Linux. (You can register for both.)

When you register for the Linux version, you may download an .rpm archive, a .deb archive, or a .tgz archive with an install script. You can downloaded all three, if you choose to.

This gives me a chance to say that the folks seem to be nice folks, trying to create and to sell good software at a decent price. We know that the Load and Help program is a marketing gimmick. But, it's a good one, I believe. It's a nice way to help some people, and an opportunity to try some new software!

Regards,
Dan

joby_toss

#37 Post by joby_toss »

usdcs wrote:The 2010 version (Payware) also has support for copying it to a USB stick, and when you do, the dialog says that you, "may now use" the software wherever you go. Nice!
Same for the 2008 version.
One only needs to create the portable.txt file.

m^(2)

#38 Post by m^(2) »

usdcs wrote:
m^(2) wrote:Which one??
I'd love to have it...
Which one, what?
When you click on the SoftMaker link, you are offered your choice of registering for the Windows Version or Linux. (You can register for both.)

When you register for the Linux version, you may download an .rpm archive, a .deb archive, or a .tgz archive with an install script. You can downloaded all three, if you choose to.
This is what I was looking for, thank you!

rw14c

#39 Post by rw14c »

webfork wrote:Old thread update in case someone stumbles across this:

The 2006 version is free and portable: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1463

The 2008 version is now available to download permanently from
http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

if anyone's interested

m^(2)

#40 Post by m^(2) »

Good, thanks.

webfork

Re: SoftMaker Office 2006 for Windows....(NOW FREEWARE)

#41 Post by webfork »

So the current entry (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1463) lists the softmaker home page (http://www.softmakeroffice.com/), which no longer offers 2006.

As a result, I was considering linking to the Softpedia "Portable" listing for 2006
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... fice.shtml

Alternately, 2008 is now listed as free without any restrictions, but requires an email address to download. I apologize if we've talked about this before (I thought we had), but I searched through the forums and can't find it.

Edit2: The Softpedia version has been modified to behave portably and the edits listed in our current entry have already been made. I tested it for portability, but a lot of TypeLib registry entries popped up. For example:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{399254F4-670F-11D1-8092-0080ADB44B5C}\0.1\0\win32\: "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Portable SoftMaker Office 2006\PlanMaker.tlb"
I don't know if that's a Windows Font thing or what. Thoughts?

webfork

#42 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:As a result, I was considering linking to the Softpedia "Portable" listing for 2006
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... fice.shtml
In the absence of an alternative, I'll go ahead and switch it to the Softpedia version. Its not ideal, but otherwise the only thing we're linking to is something that requires email registration.

Edit: Entry update with old instructions below in case someone needs them (or for v.2008), and a little bit of a refresh as far as the program's capabilities.

webfork

#43 Post by webfork »

Instructions for making the installation version portable...

SoftMaker Office 2006.
  1. Download the installer and install to the default folder
  2. Run usbstick.exe to create portable version in desired folder
  3. Uninstall program
  4. Launch TextMaker.exe or PlanMaker.exe
  • Optionally:
    1. Close programs
    2. Using a text editor, open SoftMaker\Settings\tmwconfig.ini and SoftMaker\Settings\pmwconfig.ini 
    3. Change OEMRegisterSkip=1 to OEMRegisterSkip=-1 in both files. This will hide the startup registration dialog.  Alternately, you can launch/shutdown three times to see the option to permanently disable it.

SoftMaker Office 2008 and possibly other versions. May also work with Ashampoo Office.

Note: requires an external disk (drive emulation programs such as TrueCrypt will also work)
  1. Download the installer and install to the default folder.
  2. Run usbstick.exe (or just go to Start Menu - SoftMaker Office - Utilities - Install to USB disk) to create portable version in desired folder.
  3. Select an external drive letter and select "Copy"
  4. Uninstall program
  5. If needed elsewhere, move from the external drive to a folder of your choice
  6. Launch TextMaker.exe, PlanMaker.exe, Presentations.exe, or BasicMaker.exe (a program similar to Visual Basic)
Edit:

Softmaker FreeOffice has specific instructions: http://www.freeoffice.com/en/tips-and-t ... le-install ... it requires a USB drive or virtual device drive (TrueCrypt works for this).

freakazoid

#44 Post by freakazoid »

I tried out SoftMaker Office 2008 on XP with the instructions webfork listed, but I moved the folder to my c:\ apps folder.
Not sure if that changes the dynamic of how the program runs, but when I did, it's not stealth.

A portable.txt file is in the app directory FWIW, but it still writes a ton of entries in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\

Drutt mentioned the same thing for SoftMaker Office 2006.

Also for step 4, when uninstalling, you should use Revo Uninstaller as the default uninstaller does not remove its registry entries either.
is it stealth? ;)

I am Baas

#45 Post by I am Baas »

freakazoid wrote:I tried out SoftMaker Office 2008 on XP with the instructions webfork listed, but I moved the folder to my c:\ apps folder.
Not sure if that changes the dynamic of how the program runs, but when I did, it's not stealth.

A portable.txt file is in the app directory FWIW, but it still writes a ton of entries in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\

Drutt mentioned the same thing for SoftMaker Office 2006.

Also for step 4, when uninstalling, you should use Revo Uninstaller as the default uninstaller does not remove its registry entries either.
Do you have portable.txt file in SoftMaker Office 2008 folder?