Available IPs

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
TheCrazyHacker

Available IPs

#1 Post by TheCrazyHacker »

I wrote this program because at my job, I often have to move printers and computers back and forth between static IP addresses and DHCP assigned. I got tired of pinging random IP addresses until I found one that was available. So, I wrote this little program to find and create a list of available ones.

http://www.fusionsolid.com/Projects/Ava ... e_IPs.html

dany

Re: Available IPs

#2 Post by dany »

Nice. There are other apps that do the same, but still. nice.

Leif

#3 Post by Leif »

dany wrote:There are other apps that do the same
Such as?

dany

#4 Post by dany »

Angry IP Scanner or SoftPerfect Network Scanner and quite likely others as well. They can all scan a network and list IP's that are available.
The real question is of course: is this IP really available or is it just a machine that's currently turned off? Since you mention static IP's in your first post, I'm assuming your app is really dedicated to answering that question, whereas the apps above only ping all IP's in a given range.

A small question though: Why can I only scan 1-253, why the exclusion of 254-255?

TheCrazyHacker

#5 Post by TheCrazyHacker »

dany wrote: The real question is of course: is this IP really available or is it just a machine that's currently turned off?
No, it's not that intelligent. It only uses pings to determine if an IP address is used.
dany wrote: A small question though: Why can I only scan 1-253, why the exclusion of 254-255?
The 255 octet is not a valid IP address. It is used for broadcast messages (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address). And with this scanner, you can scan up to 254, which is the highest octet available. I set the range so that you can scan up to 1 less than the higher value, thus if you want to scan up to 254, you have to enter a range of 1-253 to the max of 254. This scenario makes sense to me.

dany

#6 Post by dany »

TheCrazyHacker wrote:This scenario makes sense to me.
If you put it like that, yea makes total sense. The other apps do allow pinging the full range up to 255, that's why I asked.

About the range: just noticed that the second box goes up to 254, the first only to 253. Missed that.