ATPad

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
lautrepay

ATPad

#1 Post by lautrepay »

ATPad is a simple Notepad replacement written in pure C and Windows API. Keeping simplicity of Notepad it provides many additional features, such as:

Tabbed environment - especially useful for working with multiple files (for example, logs).
Fully customizable editor - colors, fonts etc.
Lines numbering - it's hard to find these days any respectable editor which does not support this feature.
Word wrapping - can anybody write long scripts without it?
List of recently open documents - ATPad stores this list accordingly to MAC address, so "Recent Files" on your laptop will look different from "Recent Files" on your desktop machine! But if you run the program from removable drive and work with files on this drive, they will be always presented in list, regardless of MAC address of hosting computer.
Keeping last session - start the work exactly from the point you've finished (all said above about list of recent documents is true against last sessions as well).
Bookmarks - never lose your way.
Displaying whitespaces - tabs, spaces, line breaks.
Reloading documents "on-demand" - instead of reopening them.
Outer changes tracking - stay informed when any of currently open documents has been changed out of program.
Reloading document in specified interval - you can specify interval for recurrent document reloading.
Sending documents via email - it's possible to send each document, even "Untitled", via email as attachment.
Snippets system - create, edit, delete and insert into document your own text snippets.
Unlimited find/replace and undo/redo
Portability - ATPad does not require installation, it can be started from any drive (fixed or flash) and leaves no traces on host computer after finishing.
ATPad is not purposed to compete with great names and great editors. Everyone has its own role and function.
http://atpad.sourceforge.net/

webfork

Re: ATPad

#2 Post by webfork »

Its up: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2154

Thanks lautrepay -- dig the screenshot.

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

Thanks Webfork for posting the link :wink:
I just fell asleep last night before doing it.

I'm still not sure which one is the correct Path portability option:
List of recently open documents - ATPad stores this list accordingly to MAC address, so "Recent Files" on your laptop will look different from "Recent Files" on your desktop machine! But if you run the program from removable drive and work with files on this drive, they will be always presented in list, regardless of MAC address of hosting computer.
Any ideas?

Althought rich featured, I think the main advantage of ATPad, as a simple Notepad replacement, is the tabbed GUI, a feature that is missed, for example, in Metapad.
Tabbed intefaces really make the life easier. A few years ago I requested tabs for OpenOffice.org, but I was unlucky. Instead, IBM offered this feature in the OOo based Lotus Symphony...
So, thanks to NetCaptor for this useful innovation.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

lautrepay wrote: I'm still not sure which one is the correct Path portability option:
Any ideas?
Sounds like "Automatic relative path" or "Automatic compensation for dynamic drive letter". You can find out the right option by
  1. saving files into a subdirectory of ATPad,
  2. moving the ATPad directory somewhere else within the same partition, and
  3. checking if the files are still in the list.
If the files stay in the list, the right option is "Automatic relative path". Otherwise it's "Automatic compensation for dynamic drive letter".
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

lautrepay

#5 Post by lautrepay »

SYSTEM wrote:
lautrepay wrote: I'm still not sure which one is the correct Path portability option:
Any ideas?
Sounds like "Automatic relative path" or "Automatic compensation for dynamic drive letter". You can find out the right option by
  1. saving files into a subdirectory of ATPad,
  2. moving the ATPad directory somewhere else within the same partition, and
  3. checking if the files are still in the list.
If the files stay in the list, the right option is "Automatic relative path". Otherwise it's "Automatic compensation for dynamic drive letter".
Thanks for the clarification. I was in doubt if the way that ATPad handles the recently opened files in different hosts machines fit in the definition of "Automatic relative path" or not.
I'll update the entry.

tproli

#6 Post by tproli »

Interesting app. After compression it's only about 100 KB which is quite impressive.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Went back the other day and tested this a bit more. Probably the best part of this program is the snippets: its just a menu of various different code, text, or other bits that you can easily paste in. I don't have an immediate use for that, but I'm sure I'll find one.

smaragdus

#8 Post by smaragdus »

ATPad is no longer developed but it still works fine on Windows 8. My problem with ATPad is that I cannot change the default encoding (ANSI). This couldn't be done from inside the program. I suppose that changing the default encoding can be achieved by editing 'atpad.ini' file but I do not know how (it seems that 'text_format=' parameter- should be edited in order to change default encoding). I will be grateful if someone gives me an idea.