SFV Ninja

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

SFV Ninja

#1 Post by I am Baas »

webfork

Re: SFV Ninja

#2 Post by webfork »

Will recursively scan, but can it recursively create as well?

Checker

#3 Post by Checker »

I added SFV Ninja to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2230 ... please vote :!:

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

The entry says its stealth, but the program is putting a lot of files (2 megs worth -- 2/3rds of the original program) in Local Settings\Temp and doesn't cleanup on close. I'm getting this on XP SP3.

Anyway, I like this program a lot, including the simplicity and update new-stuff-only feature, but I was also hoping it could also create an individual .MD5 file for each individual file so it could be verified by programs other than SFV Ninja.

An example of the MD5 files it creates:

Code: Select all

; Generated by SFV Ninja on 1/24/2012 at 2:08:14 AM
;
046BAE6C29669FF2BDFE803D2950E652 *.\visual cd instructions.htm
9B3EE44FA4704E0617A343AE0B0308D7 *.\test\gorilla.rtf
I also had some issues while verifying files, but I'd have to put together a bug report for that. For the moment, I'll stick with FileVerifier++.

I am Baas

#5 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:The entry says its stealth, but the program is putting a lot of files (2 megs worth -- 2/3rds of the original program) in Local Settings\Temp and doesn't cleanup on close. I'm getting this on XP SP3.
What makes an application "stealth"?
For the purpose for this website, "stealth" means when an application is launched, used and terminated properly, it does not leave behind any entries in the registry or filesystem. Certain exceptions are permitted. For example, registry entries that are created/updated by Windows for the application (eg. MRU entries for dialog boxes, DirectX entries for DirectX-based apps), or temp files created in the official "Temp" folders are not taken into consideration. Note: "Stealth" does not mean non-traceability! In fact, it is quite unlikely you can hide your activities on a Windows machine from a capable system administrator.
(emphasis added)

On a side note, all skwire's applications use DCUpdate file to check for new version. It leaves
"application name".dcupdateredirect file in user\all\DonationCoder\DcUpdater\RedirectFiles

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
temp files created in the official "Temp" folders are not taken into consideration.
Huh. You'd think that'd would have come up for me somewhere before now.