Tapin Radio (adware/bundleware)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

Re: Tapin Radio

#16 Post by Checker »

joby_toss

#17 Post by joby_toss »

V1.51 wrote:What's new: >>
Added: Now possible to purchase a pro version
What the h... does that mean?
Does it refer to RarmaRadio or RadioMaximus?

On the download page RadioMaximus is shareware, on its description page it's freeware.
There is no shareware version of Tapin anywhere on the download page, but it can be bought for 15$.

I think I'm done with this radio software, too.

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

Just tested this out and saw a few things both good and bad compared to what I'm using now:

Good:

* Ability to listen to a station at random, LOTS of recording options (break recordings into parts, make it one long file, etc.)
* Works with Winamp and lyrics plugins

Wishlist:

* For MP3 streams at least, encoding bitrate should be automatic: if you have to set the bitrate, it probably means that streams are being re-encoded rather than recorded directly. I like that it includes Variable Bitrate encoding, but you can't control the median quality level (meaning if you're listening to talk radio, you're going to want it way low, if you're listening to really high quality 256-bit stuff, you're going to want it high).

Odd:

* Program crashed when I started it, switched it to Night mode and then switched back. Other people here obviously like it a lot, so I can't assume its buggy.
* License at install says its shareware, yet it seems in every respect to be freeware.

I am Baas

Re: Tapin Radio - Important / Warning

#19 Post by I am Baas »

Downloaded the latest version (1.51). Ran tapinradio_portable_setup file, as suggested in TPFC entry, but sandboxed
(BTW, the installer is not digitally signed). First, the installer requires admin rights. That is odd for a portable installation.

Image Image

Second it is trying to access the internet to download BetterInstaller.exe from installercdn.filebulldog.com/downloader/bi_downloader.exe to $Temp (This is adware that installs DeallBulldog toolbar and changes the browser default search and home page to Somoto (red WOT rating). Apparently, it also creates DealBulldog folter in program files and who knows what else. A TR user also reported that TbHelper2.exe was constantly running and that a process called BetterInstaller.exe ran briefly once Tapin was started).

Anyway,I blocked it and continued with the recommended procedure to receive a "Special Offer" to install Babylon Toolbar (Opt Out). Obviously, I declined and deleted the sandbox.

Here is what the installer checks for:

Code: Select all

<pre_offering_checks><check type="registry" return_name="babylon" return_value_type="boolean"><value_to_check><key>HKLM\SOFTWARE\BabylonToolbar\BabylonToolbar\Instl</key><name>InstallDir</name></value_to_check></check><check type="registry" return_name="somoto_1" return_value_type="boolean"><value_to_check><key>HKCU\Software\SMTTB2009\Toolbar</key><name>toolbar_id</name></value_to_check></check><check type="registry" return_name="somoto_2" return_value_type="boolean"><value_to_check><key>HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\InternetRegistry\REGISTRY\USER\%UserSID%\Software\SMTTB2009\Toolbar</key><name>toolbar_id</name></value_to_check></check><check type="registry" return_name="sweetim" return_value_type="boolean"><value_to_check><key>HKCU\Software\SweetIM</key><name>simapp_id</name></value_to_check></check></pre_offering_checks>
Uniextracting the installer works fine but i am personally in favour of removing TR from the DB all together.

Checker

#20 Post by Checker »

I am Baas wrote:Uniextracting the installer works fine ...
That's the way I used, too :wink:

abc

Re: Tapin Radio - Important / Warning

#21 Post by abc »

This kind of behavior is unacceptable. Thanks for the warning. :shock:

Emka

#22 Post by Emka »

As I understand it, RarmaRadio has gone freeware with v2.66 (http://www.raimersoft.com/Rarmaradio_whatsnew.aspx), but neither have I read of a portable version nor of adware crap bundled.
Might be that RadioMaximus has also gone freeware with v1.58 since the "benefit" of it being free is mentioned on the product page. The changelog is slightly outdated though and does not mention that (http://www.raimersoft.com/radiomaximus/whatsnew.html).
The TapinRadio changelog (http://www.raimersoft.com/TapinRadio_whatsnew.aspx) does not (anymore) mention it being purchasable as quoted by joby_toss above, and the product page also mentions the "benefit" of it being free.

I am Baas

#23 Post by I am Baas »

Checker wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Uniextracting the installer works fine ...
That's the way I used, too :wink:
That's not what the DB shows:

I am Baas

#24 Post by I am Baas »

Emka wrote:As I understand it, RarmaRadio has gone freeware with v2.66 (http://www.raimersoft.com/Rarmaradio_whatsnew.aspx), but neither have I read of a portable version nor of adware crap bundled.
Might be that RadioMaximus has also gone freeware with v1.58 since the "benefit" of it being free is mentioned on the product page. The changelog is slightly outdated though and does not mention that (http://www.raimersoft.com/radiomaximus/whatsnew.html).
The TapinRadio changelog (http://www.raimersoft.com/TapinRadio_whatsnew.aspx) does not (anymore) mention it being purchasable as quoted by joby_toss above, and the product page also mentions the "benefit" of it being free.
Tested RadioMaximus Portable V1.58... exactly the same as with Tapin Radio - Adware.

BTW, RadioMaximus, too, is 'free' and we all understand why.

Tested RarmaRadio too... Adware (for free :wink: ).

In addition to the above, all 3 run a similar script:
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.j ... t><fb:like href="http://www.facebook.com/tapinradio" show_faces="false" width="450" font=""></fb:like>
<title>Facebook</title>
Remove from the database.
Last edited by I am Baas on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Emka

#25 Post by Emka »

I am Baas wrote: Remove from the database.
I second that.

I am Baas

#26 Post by I am Baas »

Emka wrote:
I am Baas wrote: Remove from the database.
I second that.
Well, I am not sure if that's possible at all but if those who voted for it will give it the "thumbs down" then the entry will move to the "private" category.

joby_toss

#27 Post by joby_toss »

Emka wrote:The TapinRadio changelog (http://www.raimersoft.com/TapinRadio_whatsnew.aspx) does not (anymore) mention it being purchasable as quoted by joby_toss above, and the product page also mentions the "benefit" of it being free.
This time I was ready! :)

I said it before and I will say it again: I have absolutely nothing against people trying to make money out of their own work (programming included)! But I hate this kind of approach: build a fan base for a freeware app and then, suddenly (without notice), switch it to payware or adware!

And another issue in this case: I was determined to keep the previous version, 1.50. But when I started it, I made the mistake of updating the presets file and, of course, the new presets file (768) is not compatible with version 1.50 (and the old presets file was replaced)! I had to resort to my bag of tricks to retrieve the older version, in another form, but it works now.

Sad to say that I have reverted my vote until these issues are fixed, or we find a host for the previous version, 1.50.

I am Baas

#28 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:I said it before and I will say it again: I have absolutely nothing against people trying to make money out of their own work (programming included)! But I hate this kind of approach: build a fan base for a freeware app and then, suddenly (without notice), switch it to payware or adware!

Sad to say that I have reverted my vote until these issues are fixed, or we find a host for the previous version, 1.50.
Unlike you, I do not have an issue with developers who "suddenly" decide to go down the payware path or offer to install 3rd party software on a user's machine as long as they have clearly and properly informed about it.

For me, the issue was/is that Raimersoft uses sneaky and dishonest methods to install 3rd party junk / adware on end-user machines without their permission. It is also spyware as the installer send back information about the user to a remote server.

How can you trust someone who employs this kind of tactics to monetize his work? Tapin Radio should not be in the db.

Thanks for giving it the thumbs down.

TP109

#29 Post by TP109 »

Interesting info. I use ver 1.41 and always checked the changelogs with each revision for this app, suspecting that it would eventually go the RadioSure route or start including some type of adware. Although not surprised at this news, I am shocked at the way they went about it. I agree that sneaky and dishonest accurately describe this situation. I'm voting this down too.
Last edited by TP109 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

joby_toss

#30 Post by joby_toss »

Man, wtf is wrong with these people?
Look at their download page yesterday, and look at it today:

How can they afford to make these kind of changes over night?
And another thing: changing that info is nothing while their installers are exactly the same! Still displaying "Upgrade to Pro" etc.

Fu.k it! I'm done!