Password Gorilla

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
barlas

Password Gorilla

#1 Post by barlas »

Password Gorilla v1.4 is latest (released on 2006-07-03), other details are same as the one posted on portablefreeware database.

Fluffy

#2 Post by Fluffy »

Updated, thanks for the heads-up!

BigD

Have another look at Password Gorilla v1.5.x

#3 Post by BigD »

I've realized that Password Gorilla v1.5.x is much more useful - open-source, secure, cross-platform, and can be made portable - than I'd thought. I'd overlooked the program since v1.4.x was the last obviously portable version. I've added some comments to its database entry at http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.p ... 3#comments.

webfork

Re: Have another look at Password Gorilla v1.5.x

#4 Post by webfork »

BigD wrote:I've realized that Password Gorilla v1.5.x is much more useful - open-source, secure, cross-platform, and can be made portable - than I'd thought. I'd overlooked the program since v1.4.x was the last obviously portable version. I've added some comments to its database entry at http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.p ... 3#comments.
This may be the case, but how did you get the settings to save portably? I looked at this recently and couldn't find anything and PA seems satisfied with KeePass: http://portableapps.com/node/13709

BigD

#5 Post by BigD »

webfork wrote:This may be the case, but how did you get the settings to save portably? I looked at this recently and couldn't find anything and PA seems satisfied with KeePass: http://portableapps.com/node/13709
Please look at the script in my comment timed '2012-01-18 15:27' at the link above.
As for KeePass, it's for Windows only, and PortableApps don't really seem to care much about cross-platform stuff. However, portable versions of KeePassX exist for both Linux and Windows (but they only support older versions of the KeePass database format).

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

BigD wrote:
webfork wrote:This may be the case, but how did you get the settings to save portably? I looked at this recently and couldn't find anything and PA seems satisfied with KeePass: http://portableapps.com/node/13709
Please look at the script in my comment timed '2012-01-18 15:27' at the link above.
Of course. Somehow I missed that, sorry.
BigD wrote:As for KeePass, it's for Windows only, and PortableApps don't really seem to care much about cross-platform stuff. However, portable versions of KeePassX exist for both Linux and Windows (but they only support older versions of the KeePass database format).
They have been quite good about WINE compatibility notices.

I tested a KeePass version for Android and ran into that problem.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Tried to make a go of the batch file, but I tried to run it from my desktop and it gave me an error "windows cannot find 'c:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Anyone know a way around this?

Oh and I verified the program is still saving settings to the user folder. Still, the program is extremely spartan, so the presence or absence of these settings doesn't seem important/necessary. This is therefore an edge case in terms of the portability standard.

BigD

#8 Post by BigD »

webfork wrote:Tried to make a go of the batch file, but I tried to run it from my desktop and it gave me an error "windows cannot find 'c:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again." Anyone know a way around this?
Oh and I verified the program is still saving settings to the user folder.
1) Are you using the latest Windows executable gorilla1536[_64].exe downloaded from https://github.com/zdia/gorilla/downloads ?

2) The folder where gorilla.exe is stored shouldn't have spaces in its pathname.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

> 1) Are you using the latest Windows executable gorilla1536[_64].exe downloaded from https://github.com/zdia/gorilla/downloads ?

Nah, as I have a 32-bit WinXP SP3 box, I'm using gorilla1536.exe, which I renamed to gorilla.exe

> 2) The folder where gorilla.exe is stored shouldn't have spaces in its pathname.

Ah -- I kinda need that. Thanks anyhow.

BigD

#10 Post by BigD »

webfork wrote:> 2) The folder where gorilla.exe is stored shouldn't have spaces in its pathname.
Ah -- I kinda need that. Thanks anyhow.
In my batch file, use the following command instead to allow for the path containing spaces:
start "" "%~dp0gorilla.exe"
That should fix it for you.
(Have also amended the database comments)

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

> That should fix it for you.

Cool, will try that.

> (Have also amended the database comments)

Actually as we're increasingly entering into a tweak to another tweak, it might get confusing for visitors. I recommend just posting your stuff here.

BigD

#12 Post by BigD »

Just found out that Gorilla has a commandline option:
--rc configfile : Use as configuration file (not the Registry)
so no need for a wrapper batch file after all, and this makes Gorilla truly portable.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

BigD wrote:Just found out that Gorilla has a commandline option:
so no need for a wrapper batch file after all, and this makes Gorilla truly portable.
True, it creates a configfile in the application folder but it will not "read" it unless run with the "--rc configfile" parameter every time.

lautrepay

#14 Post by lautrepay »

I am Baas wrote:
BigD wrote:Just found out that Gorilla has a commandline option:
True, it creates a configfile in the application folder but it will not "read" it unless run with the "--rc configfile" parameter every time.
Unless I'm missing something, this is the expected behavior when using parameters.
Not a big deal, just create a link with the parameter or a batch file to launch the app.

lautrepay

#15 Post by lautrepay »

The --norc parameter is also available if you don't want to save settings.