Browser Crazyness

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Darkbee

Browser Crazyness

#1 Post by Darkbee »

Crazy Browser is apparently a portable application since it resides in the database. Yet, AM Browser is not, since it is listed on the applications known not to be portable list. However, these browsers appear to be one in the same (with the websites being identical bar the name). Version 3 beta of Crazy Browser definately isn't portable since it even features an option to "backup settings" by exporting registry keys.

I was most dissapointed as I was looking for a portable alternative to Avant Browser but there appear to be none except GreenBrowser but I found this to be a little bit strange in terms of its layout and available options (for example, where is the "homepage" toolbar button?).

Can anyone suggest another browser other than Firefox, K-Meleon or Opera?

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

I've had more of a chance to play with GreenBrowser and on reflection, feel that it really isn't that bad after all. To my relief I discovered that GreenBrowser does have a toolbar button for "home", it's just that it isn't on the toolbar by default.

I've also discovered that I can replicate most (if not all) of the behaviour found in Avant Browser. I just had to play around with the settings first to see what they actually do. Initially, I had difficulty in understanding what most settings were for because of the language used. English is my first language but I suspect for the people that make the program it isn't.

However, I don't want to belittle their efforts on producing a great browser. There are even some features that, as far as I know, Avant doesn't have, such as the Page Resource viewer. It allows me to see, in a concise way, exactly where images are being loaded from and thus is a valuable tool in blocking banner ads.

Now that I have GreenBrowser looking and behaving more like the way I'm used to, I'm ready to ditch another non-portable app! Slowly but surely I'm replacing almost all of my install apps. Huzzah for GreenBrowser! 8)

Nicolas CJ

#3 Post by Nicolas CJ »

Why don't you give this a try :

http://www.opera-usb.com/

Nicolas CJ

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

Nicolas CJ wrote:Why don't you give this a try :

http://www.opera-usb.com/

Nicolas CJ
Does Opera support Ad-Blocking/Content filtering?

cmmehl

#5 Post by cmmehl »

Darkbee wrote:Does Opera support Ad-Blocking/Content iltering?
Opera itself not. But there are some third-party tweaks, and if I'm not mistaken, both adblock and flashblock are included in the opera@usb version. You can find details on their website.

I've used for some time, but for the stick I find opera too heavy and now I've got addicted to FF :-)

Cheers
Chris

Fluffy

#6 Post by Fluffy »

As far as ad/content filtering goes, try out BFilter. Works beautifully, and easy to enable and disable in case it accidentally blocks something you want to see (a rarity).

And guess what... it's portable! At least, when I transplanted it onto my new PC it had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

http://bfilter.sourceforge.net

Nicolas CJ

#7 Post by Nicolas CJ »

I've used for some time, but for the stick I find opera too heavy and now I've got addicted to FF
Funny, my conclusion is quite the opposite :lol:
Check this : http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD ... Myths.html
Anyway, it is not the place for this discussion, I think.
Does Opera support Ad-Blocking/Content filtering?
From Opera Web site :
Opera lets you control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested
Opera 8 also provides protection against phishing attacks
Discussions and tips on Opera-usb can be found on :
http://my.opera.com/opera-usb/forums/

Enjoy,

Nicolas CJ

Darkbee

#8 Post by Darkbee »

Blocking Ads and blocking popups are not the same things (necessarily). "Ad Blocking" is perhaps not the right term, it could more accurately be described as url/domain blocking/filtering. I personally aggressively try to block any material that I do not wish to be subjected to forceably, so this type of blocking is important to me.

As far as Firefox is concerned I must be a heretic because I seem to be one of the few that feel that Firefox is not as great as the general populous would have us believe. I have found, in particular, that tabbed browsing in FF to be extremely slow at times. This could be a result of having several plugins installed but, while in general plugins are a great idea, if they are poorly written then they could potentially make a great app, distinctly average.

For Windows, if you prefer to use a Mozilla based browser over Microsoft's IE then I have found K-Meleon to be one fo the best (again, purely my personal opinion).

So far the only reasons that I haven't completely moved over to a Mozilla based browser are speed and base features (i.e. without the need for plugins), with the two most important features being (for me at least) tabbed browsing with the ability to recall last session of tabs and url blocking/filtering. While I know there are plugins for FF that do this sort of thing my intuitive perception of the performance of FF using these plugins is that it is much slower that other browsers with comparable features built-in.

As for proxy filters, I've tried them in the past and they generally work well but I can't help but feel that they just overly complicate the issue and add a layer to the browsing experience that should be unecessary (i.e. the browser should be able to do this sort of thing on its own).

I realize that we've now strayed a bit from the original topic but that's ok... thats what discussion forums are for... keep those comments coming ladies and gents. :wink:

Shtriter

#9 Post by Shtriter »

Talking about portable browsers I have to say about opera-portable-personal. IMHO, this is realy great app: it consists only from 2 files: main exe file, packed with NSIS, and settings. At launching NSIS installer extracts files in TEMP folder, starts Opera and waits for it to close. Then installer lanches another app, that chackes changes of settings and writes it to single file, from that they are restored at startup!
It would be great, if other portable apps will act in the same way.