Copy Handler

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
milentechie

Copy Handler

#1 Post by milentechie »

Copy Handler

Synopsis:
Copy Handler program is a small tool designed for copy/move files and folders between different storage medias (hard disks, floppy disks, local networks, CD-ROMs and many other). Advantages of the program:
- copying data at up to 6-7 times faster than standard MS Windows copying (when copying data from one partiton to another on the same physical hard disk)
- allow full-control over the copying/moving process by pause, resume, restart and cancel features
- fully customizable - over 60 detailed options - from setting language (multiple languages) through auto-resume on error, shutting down system after copying finished to very detailed and technical (customizing copy/move thread - buffer sizes, thread priority, ...) ending on sounds on specific events
- multiple languages support - and more may appear, since the translation process is quite easy
- provides detailed informations about copy/move process (currect file, buffer sizes, priority, progress by size and visual bar, status, current and average speed, time elapsed/left, ...)
- can automatically resume all unfinished operations when system starts
limiting count of simultaneously processing tasks (copyings/movings) - tasks are set into a queue and are processed in order it was inserted into queue
- integration with system - adds additional commands to context menus of folders and drag&drop menus
- this program is open source - just download and use...

Writes settings to: Application folder

How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on Kalender.exe.

License: Freeware/Open Source

System Requirements: Win 95/98/Me/NT4/2000/XP

Download: http://copyhandler.com/dwredir.php?type ... =ch128.zip

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

Already in the Database.

Kermode

#3 Post by Kermode »

Well I hope those context menus are optional, I hate the way all programs add a lot of crap to explorer menus.

Andrew Lee

#4 Post by Andrew Lee »

CopyHandler dynamically adds those context menu items, and removes them when the app is terminated.

It is a fantastic tool. I use it all the time! :D

Kermode

#5 Post by Kermode »

Well Andrew, if you like it I better try it then :)

cmmehl

#6 Post by cmmehl »

Andrew Lee wrote:CopyHandler dynamically adds those context menu items ...
It does this only when run with adminstrative rights, trying the context menues without these results in an error. This makes it a bit less comfortable to use, for entering the paths ahs to be done manually, but it's still a powerful prog

Cheers
Chris

Kermode

#7 Post by Kermode »

Andrew Lee wrote:CopyHandler dynamically adds those context menu items, and removes them when the app is terminated.
Doesn't seem to add them dynamically here, Have to ask for it.

Yucca

Copy Handler Downloads Not Working

#8 Post by Yucca »

The downloads link for Copy Handler has not worked for several weeks. The php script on the downloads link simply returns to the main page when any of the downloads are attempted.

Sounds like a great program, but it should probably be removed from the database if the links don't work. Since they have not worked for several weeks and I have tried them from different computers, I don't think this is temporary.

Yucca

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Just tried and it works. The download link I tried is:

http://copyhandler.com/dwredir.php?type ... =ch128.zip

Yucca

#10 Post by Yucca »

Andrew,

Thanks. I had tried this several times on different computers and thought I had tried this with all my security systems disabled, but I must have missed something. I was able to download it after completely disabling ZoneAlarm firewall and my antivirus and anti-spyware systems. (I use the same security on all my computers, so a multiple-computer test didn't really help.)

I believe the Copy Handler web site's PHP downloader requirers referrer headers, which my ZoneAlarm settings deny.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking forward to trying this program.

Yucca

donald

Re: Copy Handler

#11 Post by donald »

Onesimus Prime (in the comments section) wrote: Unless I missed something in the settings, 1.28 seems to be the last portable version. Post- 1.28, CH wants to write to the computer's Application Data folder. [2008-11-19 20:51]
This would be important to test and since no one has both verified this and posted yet ...

I would like to ask for any of your experiences in trying later versions, and did you get it to run portably?

After this is posted I will contact the developers to see if they have anything to say.

Since this program is on source forge, even if it is now not portable in later versions there is hope, not the least of which is the hope that the developers will listen and even agree.

EDIT**********************************
I have sent a message through the contact method at the SourceForge site for this app.

donald

Re: Copy Handler ... further its development as portable

#12 Post by donald »

I need some help to drive the support for a new portable version of the latest current Copy Handler.

The current versions all follow the current guidelines for windows.

The current developer is open to change and said to post a request to the request page for his application on SourceForge.

I will quote from the email I received below.
Ixen in an email wrote:... Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that there are people who cares about
programs not invading their systems (or doing it the least invasive way).
I understand the need even if it is against current guidelines for windows
applications :)
... You might want to submit a feature request on sf.net

...Copy_Handler_Request_A_Feature

I can't promise I will do it, but if I find some time to spend on this project
it might be one of the things to do in the future versions.

I will place a feature request immediately after posting this, please follow me to show the support for this applications continued development as portable.

I think suggesting something like a portable switch, or the presence of a file sets portable would be the best method.

I would also ask that any developers that have the time and desire please consider this worthy project.

*******Edit**********
Just finished posting a request on SourceForge_Tracker

Please add something, you might have a much better suggestion for the developer, and at the least you could show the appreciation we all feel for an application that both works well and portably.(eg: last portable version 1.28)

donald

#13 Post by donald »

Has anyone seen the edit of the post just above???
*******Edit**********
Just finished posting a request on SourceForge_Tracker

Please add something, you might have a much better suggestion for the developer, and at the least you could show the appreciation we all feel for an application that both works well and portably.(eg: last portable version 1.28)
I have seen no similar posts, nor any related to portable function being added to, or designed in the application.(Copy Handler)

If you can post your own feature request for portable.

While the current accepted version (V1.28 ) works it is not the newest and is likely not as up to date as newer versions. (please note all post V1.28 are registry dependant.)

joby_toss

#14 Post by joby_toss »

Latest 1.40.465 alpha version is portable if the ch.xml file is found in the exe directory; download here.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Tested this out today in the interests of and ran into a few issues with this program:

The entry:
  • Really needs a note about skipping the Context Menu note as well as about how to create a task (right click on the icon in the Notification Area).
  • Says it writes settings to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local settings\Application data\Copy Handler but I'm not seeing that. It seems to throw all settings behind a given task, saved to the "Tasks" folder. Could someone spell this out for me?
The program itself:
  • I can't figure out how to edit one of the existing tasks. Do I just have to start over with a new task every time?