Writing a non-portable app converter: need apps to test with

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Andrew Lee

#256 Post by Andrew Lee »

redllar, I have been through this myself. Many years back, I worked on a freeware and had dreams of turning pro, but it didn't work out. Back then, even before the "give me" Internet era that you referred to, I received lots of requests to solve bugs and add new features, but very little in the way of donation. Luckily for me, it was just a diversion from my day job, so I didn't starve, but a youthful dream was dashed.

After the experience, I concluded that:

1) If you want to put food on your table, go payware. I am not saying you will definitely succeed with payware, but the odds of freeware putting food on your table is very low. I didn't go payware because I didn't want to risk messing with my day job.

2) If you want to do freeware, treat it as a hobby. Do something to scratch your own itch, so to speak. Or use it to keep yourself up to date with certain technologies. But always bear in mind the day job comes first, the thing that puts food on your table. The hobby can progress at a more leisurely pace.

Please don't think I am being too negative. My point is that instead of hoping that the world adjusts to you, you should realize how the world is like, then adjust yourself instead. You will be far happier that way! :D

Firewrath

#257 Post by Firewrath »

(As to why i didnt post this sooner, ive had aLOT to do the past few weeks, and this has been the only time i could do more then glance over the main page, :P
Anyways,: )
redllar wrote: I no longer have the need nor desire to contribute to the mass of "give me"s that the net has become.
*raises hand* -_-;

in my own meek defense,
anything i ask to be put in JPE was, in my view, for the good of the program, (either by intent, or side effect, but still, :P)

And, i told redllar that it was a mistake to ask in the first place, and that he could ignore my 'opinions' at will, :P

ive also told redllar he's a hell of a programmer plenty of times though,
and i mean it,
this has got to be one of the coolest programs ive used,
and it sure as hell saves me aLot of reg entries and the like when i run my USB stuff on other comps,

...and i mean, c'mon,
that .ini redirection bit is just fricken great, aint it?
(*Sigh* is to me anyways,... :P)

Buckbeak

#258 Post by Buckbeak »

Has anyone tried using JauntePE with Picasa2 ?

Zach Thibeau

There

#259 Post by Zach Thibeau »

There is a guy on portableapps.com that is basically doing the same thing I suggest you guys try doing something together. Both have great Ideas for the same solution. I mean if you guys do it together you could make a super portable app creator. http://liberta-project.org/download. the guys name is Steve Lamerton. I would give an email address but I don't have it but I used both apps and I like you registry discovery thing but your wrapper is to dificult for me to understand but for Steve Lamerton's Lapwing his wraps it in a ini file that stores the settings of every regestry settings that is for the app. This is Just a suggestion so you don't have to follow it but keep up the great work

portable-freak

#260 Post by portable-freak »

@ thibeaz
You probably haven't been here for quite some time, I'd suggest going one page back and read redllar's post ;)
JauntePE is nearly perfect IMHO, it's straight forward and very easy to use.

Zach Thibeau

#261 Post by Zach Thibeau »

No Kidding :evil: ... I was suggestion to make it better to see what liberta is doing and maybe add some ideas to Reddlars app :P

portable-freak

#262 Post by portable-freak »

thibeaz wrote:No Kidding :evil: ...
Keep your feet on the ground, will you?
Was nothing but some info after all :roll:

Zach Thibeau

#263 Post by Zach Thibeau »

I was suggestion to make it better to see what liberta is doing and maybe add some ideas to Reddlars app :P I wasn't trying to be rude. I'm sorry that it came out that way. Will ya Forgive me?

portable-freak

#264 Post by portable-freak »

thibeaz wrote:I was suggestion to make it better to see what liberta is doing and maybe add some ideas to Reddlars app :P I wasn't trying to be rude. I'm sorry that it came out that way. Will ya Forgive me?
Mate, just read this for instance http://liberta-project.org/node/101 and you'll get an idea how things have been going regarding Lapwing ( that's how the bloke is calling it )
Anyway, I just wanted to say that redllar has done a terrific job and his application is just rock solid ( if you know what I mean )
Did you try JauntePE? .. and if so ... what is it lacking? :)

Kranor

#265 Post by Kranor »

arrrrggghhhhhhh

Just wanted to vist the jauntPE site and got this....

Sorry, this stuff has served what little purpose it had and has been removed from the web.
Time for something totally new.
Just not on the web.

Please don't bother plastic. He's done more than enough already.

Goodbye.

OK now its time to PANIC :shock: :roll: :cry:

Local

#266 Post by Local »

IN response to Redllars lack of enthusiasm on contnuing this project.

I'd just like to say, I for one agree totally.
I've not been on these forums for long but have seen sites offering free software with no strings where the authors have been abused for not giving more than they can/should.

I perfectly understand how it must feel to be unappreciated by these few (Can I swear on here?) people.

I've been using JPE since I first saw it on this site and although I am one of those who has given nothing in return I am very grateful for all of the work you put into it for us all.

I admit myself to not donating to the authors of free apps, but with a few hundred or more that I use it's difficult to choose who to.

Today I start my training in C++ so hopefully I can give something back to the community =)

What I wanted to say though was, Redllar, whatever you do with JPE, whether you forget about it or carry on and make it payware.
THANK YOU! and I wish you the best!