BartPE and ubcd4win a gold mine for portable freeware?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
phreak

BartPE and ubcd4win a gold mine for portable freeware?

#1 Post by phreak »

BartPE / ubcd4win is a tiny bootable windows xp (WindowsPE like but much better). New application can be added due plugins.

http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Com ... y&sort=asc

This seams to be a great how to list with many portable freeware. My suggestion is to add these programms to the ortable freeware collection. What do you think?

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

It seems like you might be getting confused here... those programs are used to create a portable operating system (A cut-down version of Windows) that is bootable from CD.

I've used BartPE and it is OK, but if you want a portable operating system then you're better off using a bootable linux LiveCD such as Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux.

Theoretically, all the apps listed in the Portable Freeware database should work with BartPE (and/or ubcd4win). If you are talking about listing the actual builder programs in the database then I don't know if these have been tested for portability but I suppose they could potentially be listed.

If you are talking about the plugins then many of them aren't freeware (they're commercial) or modified commercial programs so I'm not sure about the legality of them. And to be quite honest, I'm not exactly sure of the plugin format, but I don't think that they will function with a regular version of Windows.

phreak

#3 Post by phreak »

Yes, I like portable operationg systems but this was not my point.

I mean. The list (http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugins_Com ... y&sort=asc) -> add them to portable freeware aswell too. Them should work on a regular windows xp aswell too. BartPE is not mroe then a minimum windows.

This means all BartPE programms work on windows xp but not all windows programms work on BartPE.

sproaticus

#4 Post by sproaticus »

Just because it's on the UBCD doesn't mean it's a portable app.

The way most of the programs work is, when you double-click on the icon it runs a batch file that installs the program (filesystem, and registry if needed), waits for the program to finish, then uninstalls the program. Check out all the .inf files in the distro if you want. These are used for automated installations and uninstallations.

That said, UBCD and UBCD4WIN are pretty dang sweet.