Tapin Radio (adware/bundleware)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
bassiliin

Tapin Radio (adware/bundleware)

#1 Post by bassiliin »

Tapin Radio
http://tapinradio.com/wp/

Is basically son of Screamer Radio which development stopped some time ago. And even presets file wasn't updated anymore.

Main features are
* Plenty of stations to choose from
* Supports most of the internet radio formats – mp3, wma, ogg vorbis, aac+ and so on
* Quick and reliable search
* Smooth switching between stations
* Record what you are listening to – including separate song files
* Automatic checking for software and radio stations updates
* Runs on Windows XP (vc libraries may need to be installed), Vista, Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit)
* Show your favorites in groups

Download setup and run and it asks to install it as portable: Yes or No

joby_toss

Re: Tapin Radio

#2 Post by joby_toss »

bassiliin wrote: Is basically son of Screamer Radio which development stopped some time ago. And even presets file wasn't updated anymore.
What do you mean? They've just released a beta version, the project is very much alive:
http://www.screamer-radio.com/history/beta/
http://www.screamer-radio.com/download/ ... 100928.zip

bassiliin

#3 Post by bassiliin »

Hehe, seems that they woke up after two years sleep. Strange is that Screamer's developer itself contacted to Tapin's developer to take it over and they released it couple of weeks ago.

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

Tapin Radio:
- use UE to extract the files;
- saves settings in its own folder;
- accepts relative paths for recordings folder;
- requires msvcp90.dll and msvcr90.dll (Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable package is supplied with the application but these 2 files need to be extracted, moved, renamed ... it's a bit complicated; or you can get them somewhere else);
- QT frameworks leaves registry keys behind (as usual): "HKCU\software\Trolltech";
- on 64 bit systems, tracing registry keys are left behind: "HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TapinRadio_RASAPI32" and "HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TapinRadio_RASMANCS".

P.S. Forgot to mention that many of the apps in the database leave these "tracing" registry keys behind on 64 bit systems (or maybe it's just my setup?). I'll try to post about this more on their topics.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Great program with lots of features, seems to work well, and has lots of good options. Seems to combine the quick search method of RadioSure with the smooth user interface of Screamer. Additionally, radio stations have the location attached to them so you can choose between radio stations and select those that are probably geographically closest to you and may have more consistent connections.

I'm not sure if Joby thinks this is really portable or not but if so its a good addition to the database. Its a major upgrade over Screamer.

Edit: Had some problems with VBR encoding: it seemed to not re-encode the audio to a changing bitrate (especially useful for talk radio). Also it seems to be stuck on a previous song name. While this is a bug that probably should go on the Tapin Radio website or to their support staff, it points out to me that this is still in its early stages since that's a pretty simple function.

joby_toss

#6 Post by joby_toss »

Oops! I forgot the essential! :)
I think it is portable but not stealth.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

A portable version of Tapin Radio is available for download @ http://www.tapinradio.com/downloads/tap ... rtable.zip

Doesn't leave QT registry keys on this xpsp3 machine. However, it automatically checks / updates preset file. Couldn't find a way to stop this behaviour yet.

joby_toss

#8 Post by joby_toss »

Code: Select all

AutoCheckVersion=false
PresetCheckDays=0

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Thanks joby_toss :D

Does this portable version leave traces on your win 7 machine?

joby_toss

#10 Post by joby_toss »

Once extracted (unzip for portable version or using UE on the installer and renaming "bass,1.dll" to "bass.dll") the files are identical, so I would think yes. But let me check again this last 1.19 version.

Edit: version 1.19 does not create that Tapin subkey in "HKCU\software\Trolltech" but it still creates those "HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TapinRadio_RASAPI32" and "HKLM\software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Tracing\TapinRadio_RASMANCS" 64bit only keys.

Also I forgot to say Thank you! to Bassiliin for bringing this app to our attention!

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:Also I forgot to say Thank you! to Bassiliin for bringing this app to our attention!
Absolutely. And he / she is on 50 posts count and can add it to TPFC :wink:

bassiliin

#12 Post by bassiliin »

He

:P

Edit:
Added to base. Feel free to criticise :p
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1997

Napiophelios

#13 Post by Napiophelios »

On Windows XP SP2 I get these reg keys added/modified:

HKCU\SessionInformation
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\connections
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU\0\0
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
...but I think most all portable apps make these.

also a file is left in the temp folder called "qtsingleapp-tapinr-916-0-lockfile"

I like it tho,I think its even better than RadioSure :)
Thanx bassiliin,nice find.

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

I am Baas wrote:
joby_toss wrote:Also I forgot to say Thank you! to Bassiliin for bringing this app to our attention!
Absolutely. And he / she is on 50 posts count and can add it to TPFC :wink:
You only need 50 posts to edit the entries, anyone who has a forum account can add to TPFC.

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

Homepage is reporting 1.37.1 - http://www.raimersoft.com/downloads.aspx

Softpedia says 1.37.4 - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/I ... able.shtml

This is the second time there's been some kind of weird shit with the version number. *Shrug*