Mp3splt

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Mp3splt

#1 Post by webfork »

After the disappointing results with another MP3 cutter, I found mp3splt. Initially mentioned by ashghost in its command-line form, now has a front end: MP3Split-GTK. WinPenPack has a conveniently packaged version.

Looks portable, but not stealth. Writes to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

Why add it?
mp3Splt-gtk has the advantage that it handles ogg vorbis files as well as mp3. It also has a few more features than mp3DirectCut, including the ability to identify split points between tracks via online database services (CDDB or FreeDB).

On the downside, the user interface is less tidy than mp3DirectCut's (at least in its older versions), and the program's response times tend to be somewhat longer. For instance, you have to load the player's VU meter (by checking "Show amplitude wave"). Documentation too seems to be confined to the command line version of mp3splt. However, you can find a good overview of the program and its interface here.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... -files.htm
I also like it a bit more than mp3DirectCut. Also an open (GPLv2) license, cross-platform.

joby_toss

Re: X-Mp3splt 0.6.1a [rev10]

#2 Post by joby_toss »

Does it split ogg files without re-encoding? Great!

Package size: 22.47 MB ... a little bigger than mp3DirectCut. :)

Danix

#3 Post by Danix »

webfork wrote: Looks portable, but not stealth. Writes to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp
I had already verified before releasing, but I tested again. I have no traces in %temp% directory after splitting an mp3. Please, can you tell me what operations you did and what are the files the program writes?

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Danix wrote:
webfork wrote: Looks portable, but not stealth. Writes to C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp
I had already verified before releasing, but I tested again. I have no traces in %temp% directory after splitting an mp3. Please, can you tell me what operations you did and what are the files the program writes?
Sorry, you're right -- it cleans both the AppData and User\LocalSettings\Temp folders. Looks stealthy.

Danix

#5 Post by Danix »

Ok, thanks for checking again.

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

joby_toss wrote:Package size: 22.47 MB ... a little bigger than mp3DirectCut. :)
Am about to give this a try, but the filesize is intimidating me as well ;)

Update: Ouch! Uncompressed filesize is 69MB. Going to stop trying this one.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Little more testing on this ...

GPL v2

Despite the name, supports MP3 and OGG files, although many of the advanced features are mp3 only.

The files it outputs appear to have not been re-encoded (it took no time at all -- re-encoding with the file I split would have taken an hour). The first split basically is the start and you need a second to finish, even if that's just at the end of the file. I'm not really clear why this is, but it works.

Lots of options and tools

* Supports drag-and-drop
* Many metadata options, including maintaining the old data
* Song management
* Batch features
* Can split based on silence detection
* Available waveform view or just a sort of scrolling ruler
* A feature allows you to attempt splitting file based on FreeDB information (I did not try this)

Anyway, great stuff. This is on a list of apps I plan to add once I get more free time.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

There's also mp3splt-gtk ZIP version AND one from PortableApps (the author lists all three on his page):

http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_ ... nloads.php

freakazoid

Re: Mp3splt

#9 Post by freakazoid »

So I need to be able to split or cut OGG files losslessly and apparently, this is one of only a few programs that can do so.

However, I have no idea how to use it. I can't even preview the audio because it either relies on GStreamer or Snackamp. Has anyone ever used this program before? If so, anyone got a tutorial?
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

@freakzoid: this might not suit you but I believe you could do that easily with this CLI command:

Code: Select all

> FFmpeg -i [source.ogg] -ss 00:00:00.0 -t [length] -c copy [target.ogg]

freakazoid

#11 Post by freakazoid »

I didn't want to resort to the command-line for this because I wanted to be able to pinpoint the portions I wanted to cut with a GUI.

If I used the command-line technique I'd have to write down the split points in a text file first.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Fair enough. Most editing I do is really simple trimming and/or converting. For more complex tasks, the GUI can be a real time saver.