Writing a non-portable app converter: need apps to test with

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
redllar

#226 Post by redllar »

1. No matter if I uncheck all the checkboxes on the identification tab, when I build portable apps they have the icons on the title bar. I know these are probably for debugging purposes, but most people probably wouldn't care about this anyway.
Thanks for the find.
3. If I follow the build portable wizard, the resulting application does not run without Jauntpe.dll and madCHook.dll Maybe statically link these to the launcher? (although I see madChook does not offer this option).
For several reasons, the jauntePE.dll code must be in a dynamically loaded dll. To get rid of the madCHook dll requires a license which requires money I don't have.
it seems that JPE doesn't operate under guest accounts? at least with a game i tried. i dont have any other programs to test, so please confirm this if it is so on normal apps.
The few JPEized apps I "guest account"-tested on XP Home SP2 ran fine from a usb stick, both from the JPE launchpad as well as from JPE-built portable launchers. But that was on my development box, so take that for what it's worth.

dyce

#227 Post by dyce »

actually yes it seems to work with normal apps on guest accounts. im not sure why it didnt work with counter strike non-steam.

redllar

#228 Post by redllar »

I uploaded a new version with fixes for the 2 problems mentioned above. You can get it here.

I also reworked the launchpad icons and tooltips positioning a bit, got rid of the modules ignore paths usage since it didn't make sense, and added use of an "all paths" indicator (use a * as the only character in the path) for ini exclusion sections.

I also created a command line-only version of the builder/launcher exe.
Last edited by redllar on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

nycjv321

um...

#229 Post by nycjv321 »

i found out why jauntPE wouldnt work i didnt copy the DLL's really n00bish on my part sorry :) tests
folder iconizer worked pefectly :)
http://users.spark.net.gr/~stamatb/freesoft/index.htm
foxit reader worked pefectly here
wonderful job!!!
edit
yea as long as file system changes allowed yea i disabled that of course
Last edited by nycjv321 on Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

portable-freak

#230 Post by portable-freak »

mordor wrote: 2. I've tried the app with Foxit Reader, ..... and so far so good, as long as I allow filesystem modifications.
Confirmed!

redllar

#231 Post by redllar »

Okay, I looked into the "...as long as I allow filesystem modifications..." problem against my better judgement. That's the last time I'll be doing so without some specifics. I just can't afford the time unless it's pretty obvious that there's a problem that can be fixed. I found the bug and will try and get out a new version soon.

redllar

#232 Post by redllar »

The version of the dll here should hopefully fix the bug.

I think that's it for me here. If I get around to it I'll upload my last set of changes to the VP site.

Thanks to Firewrath for doing 90% of the testing. And thanks to Andrew for hosting this god-awful thread.
Last edited by redllar on Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

portable-freak

#233 Post by portable-freak »

redllar wrote:The version of the dll here should hopefully fix the bug.
It does :)
I think that's it for me here.
...... this god-awful thread.
Redllar, don't take what I am saying amiss but I've got the impression that you are fixing/updating this application reluctantly :(
I for one really appreciate the work you've done so far and it's a marvelous application you are delivering for free here :)
I am not expecting a new version every other day so if there's a bug here and there, just take your time ;)
All the best.

Firewrath

#234 Post by Firewrath »

*snags new stuff*
Yay!

and sorry i havnt been around, been a Bad week and then some, >.<
stupid work, ...you know, sleeping there and answering the phone,
at the same time, is REALLY not not fun. *nods muchly*

Anyways, i agree with PortaFreak there man, but you know that already, :P

this app totally rocks and i love the thing to death for keeping TONS of junk out of my Registry from running my USB drive stuff,
(300+ apps and portable bull, -_-)

though i understand your reason for wanting to move on and you know my opinion there,
so im not gonna beg you to stay (anymore, promise this time ;)).

but all-in-all, thanks for a great app, and im sure im not the only one who will like / use the thing.
*points at Porta.* See! :P
and hell, this thread is what made me join the PFC forums in the first place, :D
(thats right everyone, you can blame redllar, ;))

Anyways dude, best of luck with everything and if you ever decide to come back we'll be here,

Laters man.

-Fw

chezduong

Working Apps

#235 Post by chezduong »

Redllar,

I wanted to let you know a few things.

First, I have been following PortableFreeware.com software update and forum in addition to emails to Andrew for more than 18 months now and it is THIS TRHEAD that finally motivated me to register in the forums. In fact, this is my first message.

You should be very proud of this program and the interest that it has generated.

Second, I wanted to let you know that I portablized the following applications which originally write to the registry and they seem to work perfectly.
  • IconsExtract v1.40 by NirSoft
    Noiseware Commuity Edition v2.5 by Imagenomic
    Foxit Reader v2.0 by Foxit Software
    The Font Thing v0.80 by Sue Fisher
    7-Zip v4.42 by Igor Pavlov
I will try to portablize some more complicated applications which also write files and folders such as AdAware, Wink, Miranda, VLC and Skype and post the results here.

Third, if you raised the money you needed for madCHook.dll integration, would you continue to actively develop this application or is it just taking too much time? If the latter, I would second mordor's comments concerning releasing the code. If this does not work for you, Dyce mentioned a web page (portableapps.com) where the forum is teaming with some pretty competent and motivated people who look like they have some time to be able to help you.

Anyway, thank you very much for having made this great application!

portable-freak

#236 Post by portable-freak »

Hi lads,
I've got a Hell of a problem trying to get this working ....
I'd like to portalize Power Tab Editor --> download.
I am not having any troubles with the reg keys, if fact they are properly redirected to where the portable.exe is.
The application places the file "powertab.ttf" in WINDOWS\Fonts\ and I don't seem to find a way to make jauntePE redirect that file.
I tried everything I could think of ( adjusting the settings and all that ... ) but the application won't launch as long as "powertab.ttf" has been moved from its default location.
Would appreciate if anyone could give it a try :)

chezduong

Ad-Aware

#237 Post by chezduong »

"Portablized" Ad-Aware works flawlessly. Ad-Aware normally only creates folders/files in %userprofile% and does not touch the registry so this was not a huge test, but it works.

Launching the program is a bit slower (like the other programs I tested above), but it is an acceptable delay knowing that it is keeping my system clean.

By the way, question for redllar:
What is the best way to have multiple launchers and only have one copy of JauntePE.dll and madCHook.dll instead of having a copy in each application folder?

Kranor

#238 Post by Kranor »

for some reason on my work pc i cannot get onto redlar's site to get portapotty...... is it just me or is geocities down at the moment???

Still when i get hold of it i am going to have a go at ms reader.....
Now i wonder what the legal rammifications of that are?????

Free to download and install as long as you have a genuine xp......

4wd

Re: Ad-Aware

#239 Post by 4wd »

[quote="chezduong"]
What is the best way to have multiple launchers and only have one copy of JauntePE.dll and madCHook.dll instead of having a copy in each application folder?[/quote]

When you Build Portable application it asks you where the JauntPE files are, (3rd question), you just point it to the directory with JauntPE installed.

Firewrath

#240 Post by Firewrath »

the way i do it,
is i use pstart, make a portable version, and then have JPE in its own folder with subfolders for redirected files/regs (mind, im running it off my USB stick).

Everything i launch from pstart gets hooked, and redirected, minus a few apps that i have that are already portable via portableapps.com,
(it does odd things with those at times, but thats to be expected, :P)
so an ini here and there fixes that,

and thats odd Porta,
JPE should read its redirected files just like they're where they're sposed to be, O_o

ill look at it and see if it does it for me here,

Edit:

alright Porta, i got it working here,

what it is, is that JPE wont run the install files. (O_o?)

so what you do, is,
DL the font file:
http://www.power-tab.net/downloads/powertabttf.7z

make a new folder in your PTE folder called 'Windows' then make one called 'Fonts', extract the 'powertab.ttf' file there,
and itll run just fine, ^-^