Skype 3.0.0.198 very minor release

Submit updates of portable freeware that are already listed in the database.
AlephX

Skype 3.0.0.198 very minor release

#1 Post by AlephX »

http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/

...actually it does not say anizhing about a new release, but it has been communicated.

Strange day: so many updates... :o Christmas? :D

Darkbee

#2 Post by Darkbee »

This might be a stupid question but how do people here usually go about updating their existing portable incarnations of Skype?

Usually if Skype tells me that there is an update available it ends up downloading and installing the new version to my fixed disk. I then have to manually overwrite skype.exe on my portable drive with the new version. It seems that Skype isn't smart enough to realize that I'm running Skype using the portable switch. I just wondered if anyone has found a more elegant solution. (I'm assuming that I can use universal extractor to get to the exe but this still isn't very 'elegant' in my opinion).

Other options please...

AlephX

#3 Post by AlephX »

Hi Darkbee!

Actually the question is interesting... :) from a general point of view, there would be several ways to create portable installation of a freeware/opensource program (but you know, anyway...):

1) two separate packages (this is often made by creating a zip or sfx for the portable version)

2) single installer with choice ("do you want to use it on an USB device?")

3) dedicated "installer" (for the portable app., not a simple sfx)

4) Maybe the more elegant: the program is only portable, but it has an installer which allows you to create shortucuts and folders ( e.g. c:\programs\app\app.exe) like a "standard" application... This would be cool and easy... maybe too easy!

So the question is still "stupid": why the freeware/Open Source programmers don´t think about that?

Darkbee

#4 Post by Darkbee »

You are right but my main point was that the Skype update program (If it can be called a program) seems to have no intelligence whatsoever. It doesn't seem to have any concept of the fact that the program could be installed somewhere other than C. In fact, it seems like it does no more than check your version against the current version, download a new installer if appropriate, then run the installer. I could do that myself!! Where is the intelligence in that?

What I really want it for Skype to handle the update completely without the need for me to install/unzip/copy/move/delete anything. It should be able to download the update and replace any files that need to be replaced on my portable drive without any intervention from me. DreamMail and Popman are excellent examples of this type of automated update behaviour and I know that there are many more. I suppose it is just dissapointing that as polished and impressive of an app as Skype is, it doesn't have a decent update program. Well I guess I'm bitching in the wrong forum.

As a small aside, I have no idea why Skype needs to be 20MB but it works and allows me to keep in contact with my family so, I'll suffer it.