OperaTor Update

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Magibon

OperaTor Update

#1 Post by Magibon »

OperaTor V3.5
Suggested by Fluffy - Updated by webfork on 5 May 2010
15MB (uncompressed) - Popularity score (6534/15)
Website - Download - Comments (17) - Post comment - Permalink

Category: Internet - Web Browsers (16), Security - Privacy Tools (37)
Synopsis: OperaTor is a software bundle that combines the power of the Opera Browser, Tor and Privoxy to allow anonymous surfing while using public terminals at internet cafe, library etc.

Note: this software is no longer maintained. The download link points to the last available version.
Writes settings to: Application folder
How to extract: Download the ZIP package and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch OperaTor.exe.
Stealth [?]: Yes
Unicode support: Yes
License: Freeware
System Requirements: Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP / Vista

I just wanted to post some additional information regarding OperaTor. It is such a wonderful tool for online privacy.

Before i found OperaTor, i was using Opera@USB with CoDeen, which is an HTTP based free, public service. It works great, there's plenty of them, and easily accessible. But they are HTTP Proxies, and do not support HTTPS, which is required for logging in, encryption, etc. I have been searching for HTTPS Proxies for a while now. Unfortunately, they are only for sale.

So i gave up and just settled for CoDeen.

Until yesterday, and running into OperaTor. I was clueless about Tor and what it did. Basically, Tor is a public tunneling service, sort of like VPN. Tor is free with the purpose of providing people with online anonymity. What's great about Tor is it supports HTTPS!

Now.. to use Tor, you can use their software, or bundled IE, and Firefox Browsers. Which i did, but find it very slow, obtrusive, buggy, and very tedious to figure out. I was able to get online, but every other website was blocked with an "unknown website" warning.

-----

This is where OperaTor comes in...

I am not sure why OperaTor is faster, but i looked into the folders and believe it's using a lite version of Tor, which doesn't do all the unnecessary checking, and validations. OperaTor doesn't fuss about which websites you visit, it just goes.

Now the problem is it is no longer supported and still sports the old Opera 10.

I found that i was able to copy & paste the new Opera@USB v11.01, right over OperaTor's v10 with no ill-effects :)

---------------------------
HOW TO UPDATE OPERATOR
---------------------------

1. Download Opera@USB v11.01.
2. Download OperaTor.
3. Copy & paste Opera@USB into OperaTor/Opera. Paste right on top of the existing files. Select "YES" to replace existing files.
4. Edit "operaprefs_default.ini" with Notepad so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

[System]
Multi User=0

[User Prefs]
Language Files Directory={Resources}locale\en
Language File={Resources}locale\en\en.lng
Application Icon=.\operator.ico
5. Start OperaTor > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Proxy servers:
- Enable "HTTP", enter "localhost", and "8118" for Port.
- Repeat for "HTTPS", "FTP", "Gopher", "WAIS".
- Enable "Enable HTTP 1.1 for proxy".
- Click "OK" to save.
- Close out Preferences.

6. Complete..

------------
MY VERSION
------------

Now if you're lazy, here is my OperaTor, it's already been updated, settings maximized for optimal performance (broadband), ready to go. Just download, unzip, and use.

Note: I removed Adobe Flash because of Copyright, but you can download the latest version here. Unzip NPSWF32.dll and place it inside program\plugins inside Opera's directory.

F.Y.I
If you're not familiar with Proxies, Tunneling, Tor, etc.. it is slower than a normal connection. This is because it redirects all your traffic through it's servers. This is required to protect your identity.

For me.. waiting a few extra seconds is well worth it... for HTTPS Support.
Of course i don't use it as my main browser, only when i need anonymity.

webfork

Re: OperaTor V3.5 Update

#2 Post by webfork »

I had a discussion about HTTPS proxies recently, so I certainly understand you wanting to find one. However, my understanding of the TOR network is that, once the program is running, it creates an encrypted connection with the TOR network. HTTPS would only be necessary if you were connecting to the TOR proxy over an insecure network. HTTPS used on the local computer isn't necessary.

I realize could have this all wrong as I haven't used OperaTOR.

On a side note, I'm I'm curious if OperaTOR leaks any browser information about itself. Its something the Vidalia program is supposed to help out with: blocking any information about the browser, Operating System used, or other basic information about the machine accessing the TOR network. This extra level of anonymity isn't really required for basic privacy.

Magibon

#3 Post by Magibon »

OperaTor uses Polipo for HTTP Proxies. Tor supports the other formats like HTTPS, Gopher, WAIS, etc.

Vidalia is a graphical controller.. i.e. bandwidth meter, etc.

I just logged into this site with OperaTor, can you see any info. ?

Honestly.. i can live with my OS, Browser, Hardware, etc. being displayed..
as long as i can log into a website anonymously, which with CoDeen/HTTP Public proxies i was unable to.

I know that Activists, and those "Chan" people use Tor alot for posting anonymously.

for me.. OperaTor/Tor does what i need it to. If you're a secret agent, you probably should do more research into Tor :)

anyway.. this is the best thing i have found since finding PortableFreeware..

You guys are awesome!

F.Y.I
For anyone who wants OperaTor to be stealth.. If you add Adobe Flash, it makes Opera@USB/OperaTor less Stealth.. it adds "Adobe" and "Macromedia" folders in AppData>Roaming. So if you're sensitive about it being truly Stealth, don't use it.

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

Magibon wrote:If you add Adobe Flash, it makes Opera@USB/OperaTor less Stealth.. it adds "Adobe" and "Macromedia" folders in AppData>Roaming. So if you're sensitive about it being truly Stealth, don't use it.
Consider "On Demand Plugin" (Menu -> Settings -> Settings... -> Advanced -> Content). If that setting is activated, Opera replaces all plugin content with placeholders. Clicking the placeholder activates the plugin and shows the content.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Magibon

#5 Post by Magibon »

SYSTEM wrote:
Magibon wrote:If you add Adobe Flash, it makes Opera@USB/OperaTor less Stealth.. it adds "Adobe" and "Macromedia" folders in AppData>Roaming. So if you're sensitive about it being truly Stealth, don't use it.
Consider "On Demand Plugin" (Menu -> Settings -> Settings... -> Advanced -> Content). If that setting is activated, Opera replaces all plugin content with placeholders. Clicking the placeholder activates the plugin and shows the content.

are there any benefits to using "On Demand Plugin" ?
does it not create "Adobe" and "Macromedia" folders?

guinness

#6 Post by guinness »

The main benefit would be with Flash banners (if not blocked by URLFilter.ini) they wouldn't start downloading straight away, hence quicker loading time of the page.

Magibon

#7 Post by Magibon »

great idea.. i've implemented that for both Opera@USB and OperaTor.
I also notice, "Adobe" and "Macromedia" folders are not created unless you click on the place holder :)

Magibon

#8 Post by Magibon »

SYSTEM wrote:

i found a flaw with this :(
some site's functions don't work if you enable "Plugin on demand".

i.e.
Mediafire: you can't upload.. the form uses Flash or something so you can't see the form buttons.

just a warning incase anyone is wondering why some sites don't work.

ashame, cause i was really starting to enjoy this !

guinness

#9 Post by guinness »

This page was mentioned on MakeUseOf.com - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/2-anonymou ... te-secure/