JkDefrag / MyDefrag [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
AlephX

JkDefrag / MyDefrag [discontinued]

#1 Post by AlephX »

JkDefrag 3.0
by Jeroen Kessels

site: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/

Synopsis: (by the author)
Disk defragment and optimize utility for Windows 2000/2003/XP/X64. Completely automatic and very easy to use, fast, low overhead, with two optimization strategies, and can handle floppies and USB disks/sticks. Included are a Windows version, a commandline version (for scheduling by the task scheduler or for use from administrator scripts), a screensaver version, a DLL library (for use from programming languages), and versions for Windows X64.

Installation: download the zip file and copy JKdefrag.exe on your choosen folder, if you need only the GUI-application. Click on it!

Size on disk: 130 Kb ca

Write settings to: application folder (log file)

Portable: yess! (I have seen only one value added, really unsignificant)
Unicode support: no
License: Free (released under the GNU General Public License)

Direct DL: http://www.kessels.com/JkDefrag/JkDefrag-3.0.zip

dot

#2 Post by dot »

Just checked. I 've been using this for quite a while. Either it is WinDefrag itself (as one can read in the title bar of the screenshot), or it uses WinDefrag and gives WinDefrag just the UI. Can't remember the details. I thought I came across it on this site and read that Fluffy is using it too, but I can't find either JKDefrag, nor WinDefrag in the database. Most weird.

usdcs

#3 Post by usdcs »

Is this the thread you were thinking of?
http://portablefreeware.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=349

dot

#4 Post by dot »

Yep, that must be it! :)

AlephX

#5 Post by AlephX »

Hi Dot! :)

Defrag v2.20 is the one you mean.

Defrag 3.0 is the new version, which has a three different applications inside. The standalone applicationis not a GUI but a real standalone... tested.
Installation: download the zip file and copy JKdefrag.exe on your choosen folder, if you need only the GUI-application. Click on it!
So while releases 2.x did not match the Portable Freeware standards, the new one is OK, I guess... Of course it's not me to decide.

By the way in the Database there are other 3 applications:

PageDefrag V2.32
Posted on 23rd June 2006 - 106KB (uncompressed) - Suggested by Hank7
It allows you to defragment files that are normally not possible to defragment i.e. paging files, registry hives, event log files and Windows 2000/XP hibernation files.

Power Defragmenter V2.0
Posted on 2nd June 2006 - 553KB (uncompressed) - Suggested by Toxteth O'Grady, AlephX
Power Defragmenter is a GUI wrapper for Sysinternals Contig.

DefragNT V1.9.0
Posted on 15th March 2005 - 171KB (uncompressed) - Suggested by Dirk Loss

:arrow: I could not find them with the internal search tools (by "defrag"), so I had to browse the category System/storage tools.

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! I have posted JkDefrag to the database.
I could not find them with the internal search tools (by "defrag"), so I had to browse the category System/storage tools.
Yeah, the search sucks in many ways. In this case, you have to search for both "defragment" and "defragmentation" to find all the relevant entries.

Improving the search is always on my todo list. Currently, I am waiting for PHP-Lucene in the Zend Framework to come out of beta and see if I can plug it in.

AlephX

#7 Post by AlephX »

Hi Andrew!

You wrote:
Improving the search is always on my todo list. Currently, I am waiting for PHP-Lucene in the Zend Framework to come out of beta and see if I can plug it in.
Since I regularly visit your Site (and thanks to Fluffy and Darkbee too), I can feel that it improves every day, step by step... This is only one of the many things I like about this Site... :D

Aleph

AlephX

JKDefrag 3.1

#8 Post by AlephX »

Andrew Lee

#9 Post by Andrew Lee »

Database updated. Thanks!

Toxteth O'Grady

JKDefrag 3.2

#10 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Changes in this version:

- Fixed a bug in the DLL that caused the name of the RunDefrag() subroutine to be mangled.
- The distributions now include a 'doc' directory with a copy of the JkDefrag homepage.
- Moved the .bat file to compile the X64 version to the main directory.
- Small change in the code that rewrites input paths.
- Suppressed "could not get volume bitmap" message at the end of the optimization phase.

Andrew Lee

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

Database updated. Thanks!

Toxteth O'Grady

JKDefrag 3.3

#12 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Changes in this version:

- Bugfix for the X64 versions. The program ran but couldn't find any files and therefore didn't do any work. I wish I had an X64 system to test new versions on! Anyone care to donate a computer?
- Added a couple more files to the internal dollar-list of special system files.

AlephX

JKDefrag 3.4

#13 Post by AlephX »

Changes in this version:

- The screensaver now has several settings. You can specify commandline options just like with the other versions, so you can control which disks will be defragged; you can specify another screensaver to run when JkDefrag has finished; and you can select a number of hours to wait before running again.
- The screensaver now writes all the messages to a logfile, just like the other versions.
- Added a bit of code that will find fragmented files at the end of a gap. It's not really necessary but makes certain warnings a bit less confusing.

Fluffy

#14 Post by Fluffy »

Updated, thanks! (Why do I get the distinct feeling that I'm racing with you, AlephX? :P )

AlephX

#15 Post by AlephX »

:twisted: HAR HAR HAR :evil: This IS a race!!!
(even if your teeth scare me a lot! :roll: )