Is this a TeraCopy bug?

Ask other users about problems encountered with portable apps or help by posting solutions to existing problems.
spicydog

Is this a TeraCopy bug?

#1 Post by spicydog »

Why TeraCopy warns about already existing files BUT NOT about already existing folders?

Is there a workaround to fix that?

Read further for details...

Description of situation:

TeraCopy v.2.2 beta 3 (and previous versions)

I have a folder named "HERE" containing 3 subfolders named "Test 1", "Test 2" and "Test 3" each subfolder contains 2 files named "This" and "That".

and

I have another folder named "THERE" containing 3 subfolders named "Test A", "Test B" and "Test 3" each subfolder contains 3 files named "This", "Tom" and "Jerry".

NOTE: All files have the same extension.

If I TeraCopy the 3 subfolders from "THERE" and paste them into "HERE" I get the warning that the file "This" already exists and I have the usual overwrite, rename and skip options.

Why don't I get the warning that the folder "Test 3" already exists and get the overwrite, rename and skip options for the folder?

Sometimes while copying/pasting large amounts of folders (with subfolders inside) is not always possible to know which one (target/source) of the files contained in the folders/subfolders is the one to keep, so it would be actually nice if the user could configure TeraCopy in a way to warn about the existences of a folder with the same name rather than a file with the same name.

In fact in the situation described above (after the TeraCopy operation) it would be more logical and convenient (in the "rename" scenario) to find at the destination location (beside the others) the subfolders "Test 3" (containing 2 files named "This" and "That") and "Test 3_1" (containing 3 files named "This", "Tom" and "Jerry").

Currently (after the TeraCopy operation) beside the others, I find a single "Test 3" subfolder (containing 4 files named "This", "This_1", "Tom" and "Jerry").

I hope the description is clear enough, if not please let me know.

Thanks in advance for posting your suggestions/thoughts

webfork

Re: Is this a TeraCopy bug?

#2 Post by webfork »

spicydog wrote:Why TeraCopy warns about already existing files BUT NOT about already existing folders?
Yeah its probably a bug and I don't often use TeraCopy so I don't know of a workaround. They have a bug reporting portal you should try: https://www.codaset.com/users#tickets

The bug is more likely to get fixed if you follow sort of a bug-writing format. This might help or you can just read existing bugs on their site and try to follow the same general format.

spicydog

#3 Post by spicydog »

Thanks for your post.

I did open a ticket on that portal a couple of days ago and I hope to get some feedback (will post here too if it is something useful).

Due to the nature of that specific scenario I had to describe it in that way (sorry if it sounded a bit complex) in order to provide the developer with sufficient details to reproduce the situation.

Please feel free to suggest a clearer wording if you think that it might help.

In the meantime probably some of the resourceful members on this forum might spot my thread and suggest a smart workaround... TeraCopy has been around for quite a while (and it always had this peculiar behavior) so I would be very surprised if nobody else noticed it.

spicydog

#4 Post by spicydog »

Almost 3 weeks passed and nobody replied to the ticket that I submitted on codesector.com/helpdesk//tickets.

Could anybody here suggest another way to fix this or how to get the attention (and a reply) from Codesector?

Tnx :mrgreen:

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

spicydog wrote:Almost 3 weeks passed and nobody replied to the ticket that I submitted on codesector.com/helpdesk//tickets.

Could anybody here suggest another way to fix this or how to get the attention (and a reply) from Codesector?
You can lobby the developer by getting people here and elsewhere to up-rate the issue. This is something that's possible on Google Code but I'm not sure if CodeSector's bug system has that capability.

You might also put a bounty on the bug and say that if the developer fixes it you agree to make a donation of some kind to the dev directly or a charity you both like.

spicydog

#6 Post by spicydog »

webfork wrote:You can lobby the developer by getting people here and elsewhere to up-rate the issue. This is something that's possible on Google Code but I'm not sure if CodeSector's bug system has that capability.
spicydog wrote:While I really appreciate your creativity I have no idea how to do that, could you kindly give me some concrete details so that I can implement your valuable suggestion?
webfork wrote:You might also put a bounty on the bug and say that if the developer fixes it you agree to make a donation of some kind to the dev directly or a charity you both like.
spicydog wrote:I fear that at CodeSector nobody bothers to read the posted tickets, the main problem is to get them to read anything, I doubt therefore that they would even notice if someone would offer them a (conditional) reward.

Frustrating to have to deal with a sleeping interlocutor (actually CodeSector people do not even qualify to be called that since they simply do not interact!).